April Developer Diary

Admin

Just now, Bearimpaler101 said:

Google whacks. when you search something on the web and it only comes up with one page. it was possible in 2003 not now though.

Oh I see. Thanks.   I'm pretty sure I found something that had only one page not so long ago. Just can't remember what it was though.  

28 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Btw it has to be 2 words for more confirmation watch dave Gormans googlewhack adventure or read the book! I've found some false Google whacks such as "unctous" yellowslammer" but since yellow slammer isn't a real word...

Once someone says something these days ,no matter what, it won't be long before it ends up in a dictionary.     

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Once someone says something these days ,no matter what, it won't be long before it ends up in a dictionary.     

...and forthwith, the brave Sir Lancelot drew his trusty sword from his scabbard of black leather, and smote thrice fiercely at the dragon, hissing fire, and its blood poured in copious quantities, and it slashed back, tearing rents in his chainmail, wrecking his silken surcoat, so sir Lancelot redoubled his efforts&the dragon fell dead at long last, and he was paraded through the streets of Camelot in such fashion that befitted a knight of his class, and King Arthur gave him such lavish gifts that Lancelot’s horse’s back broke under the burden of gold and bountiful jewels, of such quality that they struck blind anyone who gazed at them unless it was nighttime. 

Adjective, Verb, Noun. Used as a greeting. Nearest English translation is “Hello.”

• Upvote 1

I had one about favourite episode and I had another one about I dont remember what. I think they might be both in wintemute section

Edit: about favourite episode is in wi termite section

About noisemakers is in survival section.

Edited by Stinky socks
Potatos

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, piddy3825 said:

if I am not mistaken, story mode updates will continue to be free per the commitment Hinterland has made to complete story mode in its entirety.  With the separation of survival mode from story mode, you will end up purchasing "updates" to survival mode if you choose to participate in their DLC programming. 

The decision to separate the survival portion of the game from story mode portion means that greater emphasis can be made to complete story mode in a timely manner and to fix any irregularities without having to double down and duplicate those "fixes" in survival mode without any further compensation.  

that's the problem though this game was originally a survival game that had story added after why is it that we should have to pay for DLC for the survival game that was purchased as a survival game. Not to mention that a butt load more has gone into the story over the years then the survival aspect i shouldn't have to pay more for content on the survival side when the story side was the addition. if people wanna pay for a custom story mode fine that's a separate thing then the overall game itself

On 5/15/2022 at 3:11 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I deduce it'll be a system of updates similar to that made by Paradox Interactive: DLC update (major changes) correlated with a free update (minor changes). And I like it !

On 5/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, Admin said:

Thank you for the feedback and response to this Diary. The term "Season Pass" is causing some confusion, and we are working on a more accurate name that properly encompasses the nature and spirit of our new update and DLC system. Some important things to note are:

- You will not lose content you already own.
- DLCs will not be mandatory.
- Katie and the team are still working from a Roadmap that Raph developed with them, and Raph is still actively involved in reviewing and guiding this work.
- We will release more information before changes roll out.

We appreciate your patience and support.

the base Survival game,  this is what angers me they know the game was base survival and the story was an extra thing so why are we having to pay for survival content when the story is the extra after the fact thing that should be what people pay for this is wrong and honestly story mode should never had been promised for free if they were gonna have to make people who bought the base game for survival pay the price!

2 hours ago, alunasmoon said:

...this game was originally a survival game that had story added...

actually that is where you've got it wrong.  You've were around when it was early release or have you just conveniently forgotten that the game was always about the story.  From the get go when this game was released as an open world sandbox, it was known that the stroy mod was a work in progress and everyone who purchased it as early release knew the terms and conditions.  get your facts straight before you act all butt hurt and indignant.   

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 5

12 hours ago, alunasmoon said:

that's the problem though this game was originally a survival game that had story added after why is it that we should have to pay for DLC for the survival game that was purchased as a survival game. Not to mention that a butt load more has gone into the story over the years then the survival aspect i shouldn't have to pay more for content on the survival side when the story side was the addition. if people wanna pay for a custom story mode fine that's a separate thing then the overall game itself

The Long Dark has had 8 years of free survival updates. Isn't that enough? I don't know when you bought it, but at no point have Hinterland made a promise to give us free content forever.
The long dark is not in early access anymore, the only promise that hasn't yet been fulfilled is the full 5-episode story mode (but you, clearly, don't care about it). Survival mode is complete. It has been for a long time. Frankly, any survival update in the past few years could've been the last one, and that would still make sense.

And your usage of the words "have to" is pretty funny, to be honest. No, you don't have to buy the DLCs. You can do it, if you want to. If you don't, well... The game is complete already (except for the last episode, but we'll get it for free). Stop whining, as if you really thought Hinterland would keep spending their money on free updates for the game that peeked years ago.

EDIT: Okay, so I checked and you've been on hinterland forums since 2015. Would be reasonable to assume, you've already been playing TLD back then. So, you paid 20$ (at most), and now, 7 years later you still expect more. Smh...

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 5

I got an xbox x for the kids, ahem, last Christmas. As I finished Firewatch, The Long Dark was suggested as a game I might like. I had never heard of it. Fast forward to today and it has been my main game since december 2021. 

Now, I got TLD as part of Game Pass, I suspect Hinterland do not get much money from that, and measured in hours of gameplay vs cost, this must have been one of my best "buys" since I first started gaming in the early 80s. 

People are in different circumstances in life, many are surely feeling the cost of living crisis in recent times. For my part, I find it reasonable to either pay for the DLCs or a "season pass", as long as the game is being supported and developed. 

So far it has been a marvellous journey, and I hope the game will go from strength to strength.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I look at the value this game has given me over the years, and the play hours, it's probably the best value game I have ever purchased, so by all means add paid DLC for new challenges, maps and eventually new stories.

As people keep saying, you don't have to buy them, and the existing game is huge and eminently replayable.

It's a shame (as I enjoy the story mode) it's taken so long to get to Ep.4, but that's my only grumble really.

Compared to some companies, hinterland are angels and they rightly have to build a sustainable business!

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, chrislacruz said:

I look at the value this game has given me over the years, and the play hours, it's probably the best value game I have ever purchased, so by all means add paid DLC for new challenges, maps and eventually new stories.

As people keep saying, you don't have to buy them, and the existing game is huge and eminently replayable.

It's a shame (as I enjoy the story mode) it's taken so long to get to Ep.4, but that's my only grumble really.

Compared to some companies, hinterland are angels and they rightly have to build a sustainable business!

well said!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chrislacruz said:

Yes, as Piddy commented... very well said Chrislacruz. I couldn't have put it better!

It's why I try not to grumble about the game, I really value Hinterland and this game. Put them next to devs like Bethesda and it is clear they are in a league of their own. I'd be excited to purchase a TLD DLC, especially to expand on the Sandbox experience. The game they have created is magic and if they benefit so do we.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 4

I am a casual, low level player that is not a gamer aside from TLD. This game is amazing, it never ceases to be enchanting (as far as the graphics go, the sunrises and sunsets, the scenic views!) as far as visuals go-- I look forward to more changes and updates for the survival mode along the way. I tried and did not like the story mode. I almost gave up the game then, unti I tried the survival mode. And have never looked back (towards story mode!).  The game is unique in that it offers so many different levels and ways to play.

• Upvote 2