Great mods i use and will use and what they can do

Strelok

First i want to thank all modders out there who did this amazing work and give the opportunity to alter the game further besides the custom settings.

🧑‍💻👏

Furthermore please correct me if i am wrong.

There are quite a good amount of stable, very well made mods out there which can alter your game in a very interesting way.

I will give you now some examples of those nice mods i use and will use, and a short explanation of what they can do and why i use them. Please beware that i cannot fully explain in depth all possible settings of those mods. I will rather pick some settings of those mods which i use to show what is special about them. I skip settings which just change some values already adjustable somehow in game by custom settings. Last thing is that some aspects of some mods i only explain theoretically and are not tested out ingame by myself, because i just downloaded and not tested them but only read through the description carefully. So in such case i could be wrong about it and have a misconception. But i doubt this. Because til now all those i already tested are perfectly doing what they promise.

1. AnimalBehavior Mod  🐇🦌🐻🐺

This mod alters all wildlife by changing distance of senses and flee duration etc. But the most interesting part for me are 2 particular settings.

"wolf_stalking_behavior": "Nothing"

This setting causes to have wolves which wont attack and then charge you because you just aim at them while they are stalking you. They only attack/charge if you get to close, which you also can alter in this mod by setting the charge distance as you like. E.g. you could set wolves charging at you at 50 instead of 15 (vanilla) after stalking and getting to close. So now the distance and not your weapon aiming determines if wolves attack and charge you. 🐺↔️🧍⚠️

"wolf_holding_ground_flee_chance": 0,

Here, if you set the chance like me to 0, wolves will not flee just because you aim any weapon at them while there is a fire between them and you. No more "drop your torch and then pointing your weapon" to make them flee. They still wont attack if you use deterants like torch, flare or campfire, which if thrown at them still can make them flee. So now if you are stalked by a wolf, you have to deal with it by either throwing your torch or flare to make them flee, by killing, or you have to live with a wolf constantly stalking you until you enter indoor shelter or car.

Short: Both settings lets wolves ignore weapon aiming at them completely.🏹🔫🐺

2. AnkleSupport Mod  🧗‍♂️🧤 👢

"BootToughnessFactor": 2,
    "GloveToughnessFactor": 4,
    "OverEncumbranceValue": 3,
    "ExhaustedValue": 30

This is quite simple. Your protection value of gloves and boots help you fight the chance of getting sprains. Also over encumbrance and fatigue can be set at how much they weight in on that aspect.

3. ExtremeTempDrop Mod  🥵🥶

"initialDrop": 0,
    "declineStartDay": 0,
    "maxDrop": 30,
    "declineEndDay": 200

Even though there is nothing really special about this mod, it can alter your temperature drop setting to a great amount and to a much more long term difficulty increase in contrast to a harsh short term drop like in interloper, where the max drop is additional -20° but in a relatively short time. So if you set it like me with the above settings, you have a much smoother temp decline but ending up with additional -10° at day 200 at -30° total. So now making a bear skin beadroll and use more torches or even to make more often fires while sleeping outdoors to help fight the cold is more important. Note that the decline starts from day 0 of the game in this case. Btw the decline end day cannot be more than 200 afaik.

4. FireImprovements Mod 🔥

"tinder_not_required_level": 6,

This means you wont get the lvl 3 achievement to start fire without tinder. Because there is no lvl 6 firestarting skill. You need tinder for every fire. Genius setting.

"no_tinder_penalty": 80,

This means even if you could pass on tinder with lvl 3 firstarting skill, you wont make a 100% fire at above value without tinder with the exception if you have max firestarting (5) and use full potential and the best firstarting items available, which are firestriker + book + accelerant = 90 + 15 + 35 + 40 = 180% - 80% = 100% (this is just my idea why i set penalty to exactly 80!)

"no_more_fire_boost": true

Burn time of fire doesnt care about indoor or outdoor any more.

This makes outdoor fires more demanding and easier to calculate fire burn time. 🔥🏠 = 🔥🏕️

4. HungerRevamped  🥩

"canEatRuinedFood": false,

Ruined food (red X) cannot be eaten anymore. Its ruined. Its just trash now for real. No more fear to loose ruined MRE if accidentely stored and therefore disappear. Even the contrary. Now there is a secondary usage of trash cans 🥩➡️🚮.

"canCookRuinedFood": false,

You cannot get cooking skill advance by cooking something that you cannot eat.

"delayedFoodPoisoning": false,

You wont get food poisoning immediately after eating. You have to wait until you know if you need treatment.🥩 😋 ➡️ 🤢 💊?

"fixCookingSkillExploit": false,

This means that you only get a point for cooking skill with 100% chance if your cooking object is 1.0 weight or more. A piece of meat at 0.5 weight wont get you the same. 0.5 weight reads like 50% chance of getting that point now. So you cannot exploit cooking by little 0.1 weight slices anymore so easy. 🧑‍🍳 🥩🧑‍🍳 🥓

"cookingDoublesCondition": true

Vanilla cooking gives you flat +50% food condition. You can get a 50% condition meat if you cook a 0% ruined food and even get skill for that (see above). Now you only double the condition. So you can still get 100% if you cook a 50% meat, but if you cook a 10% meat, it only will be 20% after. 🧑‍🍳 ⚖️

5. KerosenLampTweaks Mod 🪔

"placed_burn_multiplier": 0.1,
    "held_burn_multiplier": 0.1,

There was a post about a realistic burn time for Stormlanterns. Here you go. But it would be wise to balance this out by setting fish spawn to the lowest possible if you still want a need for oil. 🎣🤏

I hope you did get good impressions of those mods. They deserve attention. And not only those.

Feel free to comment or correct me.

Have fun.

• Upvote 1

yeah, I'm liking the majority of these mods that you have selected.

animal behavior really is pretty good imho as it does really affect behavior by proximity
at least giving the appearance of more realistic animal behavior.

ankle support is another one for sure.   changes of getting sprained ankles
wearing ski boots on uneven terrain?  not likely!  tennis shoes?  hell ya!

hunger revamped, another good mod that really makes gameplay much more immersive

some of my own favorite mods that I've been using are
place anywhere - a definite improvement to the items handling mechanic of the current game
better night skies - changes the starfield at night, feels pretty immersive imho
free look in cars - allows the player to look out the back window when sitting in the back seat of a car
remove clutter - finally pick up some debris and clean up the floors - multi options for havesting resources if desired
better stacking - finally you can put cans and items in stacks instead of just dropping piles

have you had a chance to try any of these out @Strelok

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

some of my own favorite mods that I've been using are

place anywhere - a definite improvement to the items handling mechanic of the current game
better night skies - changes the starfield at night, feels pretty immersive imho
free look in cars - allows the player to look out the back window when sitting in the back seat of a car
remove clutter - finally pick up some debris and clean up the floors - multi options for havesting resources if desired
better stacking - finally you can put cans and items in stacks instead of just dropping piles

I know them all, but only use better night skies atm. I will try free look in cars for sure. This is a very good idea. Thank you reminding me of this. I wanted that too. I just forgot to download it.

I am not sure about better stacking in how it handles the condition differences of items in the stack. Like guts, but especially with guts, it doesnt matter at all. But what about flare gun shells? What happens if i have couple of 100% flare gun shells stacked with some 90% condition flare shells? Eventually you can share your experience of that mod.

@Strelok
better stacking really just allows the user to place items on top of each other, pretty much regardless of condition.  
comes in pretty handy when you have limited shelf space but more than enough of one thing to display, like cans for peaches for example,
although I've used it to stack deer hides into a fairly good sized pile and believeable looking pile for my cannery/tannery workshop build.

Another excellent mod that I like is "moveable containers" which does just that, allows the player to pick up the plastic storage bins, those green 
metal storage containers and various green backpacks that you find strewn about in the game.  You can pickup and carry an object in your inventory as well as pick
up an item so you can actually transport two containers at once with a little practice.    

If you're into base building as much as I am, you might wanna check out the beta "better bases" which allows you to pickup many objects like shelfs, furniture,
cardboard boxes and wooden crates and move them about.  Works great in most interior cells but not so much outside.     

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

better stacking really just allows the user to place items on top of each other, pretty much regardless of condition.  
comes in pretty handy when you have limited shelf space but more than enough of one thing to display, like cans for peaches for example,
although I've used it to stack deer hides into a fairly good sized pile and believeable looking pile for my cannery/tannery workshop build.

Thanks. So different conditions doesnt prevent stacking. So far so good. But what would be the outcome if i have a stack of different condition flare shells, which will loose condition over time and i seperate them again because i dont want to have the whole stack on me only a couple of shells. Does the mod remember the individual condition of the sperated item?

Or to put it very simple. With this mod i can stack 1 flare gun shell with 100% condition with a second one with 90%. Which doesnt work if i dont use this mod. But what happens if i seperate them. Does the mod then change any of the original condition of those indiviudal shells?

1 hour ago, Strelok said:

Or to put it very simple. With this mod i can stack 1 flare gun shell with 100% condition with a second one with 90%. Which doesnt work if i dont use this mod. But what happens if i seperate them. Does the mod then change any of the original condition of those indiviudal shells?

yup, stack regardless of condition and the mod changes nothing.  it just allows you to put stuff on top of other stuff...

1 hour ago, Strelok said:

@piddy3825 Something i fortot about here is the mod NorfolkClothingPack. But i guess you know that already. This is so nice to have more options for crafting. And i think they are quite ok balanced.

Love that mod...

11.thumb.png.1e4f5ecbc59d0b6bcfe8e05fb897d0f9.png

6.thumb.png.353c38565cc4318491ea13adec764fc0.png

here's a little feature of the clothing, wolf skin boots, bearskin leggings along with wolf coat and wolfskin cap...

the skulls are courtesy of "Festive-Pack" a fun little whimsical seasonal decorating mod that does nothing but provide amusement for the user...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, Strelok said:

TLD cigarettes mod.

Love it. Its like Coffee for the fatigue part. No hydration and only 1 kcal. Good stuff.

Find a pack of cigarettes, harvest it to get 3 cigarettes.

Not familar with it myself but I would appreciate if they'd include the negatives, like a subtle but cumulative debuff on your stamina. Every cigarette decreases your stamina regeneration by 1% for 14 days, capping out at 50% reduction. Every time you smoke a cigarette the 14 day timer resets, and the stamina regeneration debuff increases by another 1%.

Edit: Ooh more thoughts. If you smoke 3 cigarettes in a row without letting the debuff expire, you're addicted. Once addicted, if you go more than 12 hours without smoking, you suffer 50% decreased condition recovery until the debuff expires (14 days without a cigarette).

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:37 AM, ajb1978 said:

Not familar with it myself but I would appreciate if they'd include the negatives, like a subtle but cumulative debuff on your stamina. Every cigarette decreases your stamina regeneration by 1% for 14 days, capping out at 50% reduction. Every time you smoke a cigarette the 14 day timer resets, and the stamina regeneration debuff increases by another 1%.

Edit: Ooh more thoughts. If you smoke 3 cigarettes in a row without letting the debuff expire, you're addicted. Once addicted, if you go more than 12 hours without smoking, you suffer 50% decreased condition recovery until the debuff expires (14 days without a cigarette).

Nice idea. I would go for a debuff for sprint lenght (stamina max cap) like from clothes. So you cannot sprint as long then for some hours. Eventually that would be easier to mod. But its really ok as is now. They are lighter then coffee but no hydration and 125 kcal AND much shorter duration of the buff.

5 hours ago, Strelok said:

Nice idea. I would go for a debuff for sprint lenght (stamina max cap) like from clothes. So you cannot sprint as long then for some hours. Eventually that would be easier to mod. But its really ok as is now. They are lighter then coffee but no hydration and 125 kcal AND much shorter duration of the buff.

LOL, my survivor was a fat guy who smoked almost two packs a day before he crashed landed here...
Now the guy is a svelte chisled grizzled mountain main who quit smoking cold turkey and has been nicotine free for over 852 days, so almost 2 1/2 years.   
He is now practically the fittest he's ever been in his life!   

curious though, when smoking does the character have a noticeably darker breath gases when he exhales?  or maybe blow a smoke ring or two?
now that would be immersive!

Just now, piddy3825 said:

LOL, my survivor was a fat guy who smoked almost two packs a day before he crashed landed here...
Now the guy is a svelte chisled grizzled mountain main who quit smoking cold turkey and has been nicotine free for over 852 days, so almost 2 1/2 years.   
He is now practically the fittest he's ever been in his life!   

curious though, when smoking does the character have a noticeably darker breath gases when he exhales?  or maybe blow a smoke ring or two?
now that would be immersive!

As would the coughing and puffing and panting🙂 wills bad enough with that already.