This really takes away from the game.

ImaginaryAlpaca

20 hours ago, SpanishMoss said:

Well actually, equipped clothing weights 25% of its normal weight, so it's a little more realistic 

Althought ingame equipped clothing weights 75% of its weight.

But after some thinking, i guess they made it like that for balancing.

I mean, if they would change the equipped clothing weight to 25% or even delete it completely clothing like ballistic vest or ski boots would be far more useable. Yeah stamina reduction is annoying but honestly in the late game will barely affect you as sprinting won't be that useful IF you're armed.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:12 PM, Stinky socks said:

The only 'proper' way to make it work is to have two different weights. One for 'on person' and another for 'in backpack'.

I'd rather have it the way it is right now. No point in making a clunkier system for the sake of minimal properness.

Not to mention that the current state of things you can carry a maximum of 45kg between what's worn and what's on your pack, before you even start to suffer the effects of being weighed down. Think about that for a moment. Go out and get one of those giant containers of Tidy Cat cat litter. Y'know, the 40lb buckets. Now get a second. Now, strap each to a pack frame, wear say another 20lbs of clothes (which counts as 15 thanks to the reduction), then go for a walk and see how far you can get before you're just dog tired.  Or try to climb a rope. Or sprint.

Unless you're in the military and drill for this kind of thing regularly, there's no way your average Joe is going to up and lug around 45kg of junk and be as mobile as we are in the game today.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2022 at 5:28 AM, ImaginaryAlpaca said:

It's incredibly annoying when you can't carry much, get weighed down too easily, can't run for long.

What do you mean can't carry much? In standard condition, you can carry 30 kg, that's not that little in such a hard environment (keep in mind that wandering through snow in real life is very exhausting). And actually with boni (moose satchel and well-fed) you can carry 40 kg without penalties. In that case, you can even do rope-climbing in game with 40 kg of added weight, which is actually kind of hilarious. ^^

Sure, I too am sometimes annoyed that I have to leave this and that behind, but that'll always be the case. Even if you could carry 60 or 80 kg, you would still be complaining, because you can carry everything around. IMO, the game is well-balanced in this regard, the 30-40 kg is a good limit.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 8/24/2022 at 1:52 AM, Stinky socks said:

Especially Astrid!! This is why I'm such a huge opponent of this women equality. Girls have special perks, but carrying load is not one of them!

Longer stamina, yes, but hulk carrying capacity...no.

I don't know if a purely fictional world (albeit with some real-life rooting) would be the right place to try and accurately display the differences incurred by sexually determined physiognomy. In fact I have pretty strong feelings it isn't. As far as fantasy goes, and video games clearly fall into that category, I wouldn't want to be limited because I chose a certain sex for my avatar. If you go down that route for the sake of *realism* you start cutting pretty much everything from the fantasy that earns it its name.

So yeah, go Astrid. Carry those 60 kilograms of Reishi like the champ you are.

On 8/24/2022 at 12:52 AM, Stinky socks said:

Especially Astrid!! This is why I'm such a huge opponent of this women equality. Girls have special perks, but carrying load is not one of them!

Longer stamina, yes, but hulk carrying capacity...no.

Umm.... did I read this right?!!! Wow.

I'm a woman. I used to front squat far more per kg of body weight in comparison to most of the men in my gym. 

And what's better? A man who can carry 45kg for an hour or a woman who can carry 30kg for three hours?

Swings and roundabouts.

And I'm very tempted to swing a heavy hammer like I used to swing a heavy kettlebell. Heavy hammers are pretty darn good against...

Well. Nuff said.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I wouldn't want to be limited because I chose a certain sex for my avatar. If you go down that route for the sake of *realism* you start cutting pretty much everything from the fantasy that earns it its name.

So yeah, go Astrid. Carry those 60 kilograms of Reishi like the champ you are.

Well said sir.

Edited by Sgt Socks

Referring to the game particularly. I think the carry balance is great, far better than many games I've played.

This comes from a committed loot goblin who is encumbered the vast majority of the time, even with the technical backpack and Moose satchel.

There has to be a limit and the whole point of a survival game with a leaning towards realism is that choices need to be made. Even I would hate it if the carry balance was raised significantly. Making those choices is a huge part of immersion.

Some of us would always be encumbered unless there was no limit at all!

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
2 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

loot goblin

Finally I know what I am.

On topic:

3 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Making those choices is a huge part of immersion.

Not just immersion. I also provides an entire dimension of choice - what do I bring, what don't I? Can I afford to carry this clearly redundant hatchet around with me just so I can stuff it next to three others lining up in my base? Is the rifle actually the right choice for a long trip, or will the revolver suffice for self defense? Are two bear skin coats really the best way to play the game under all circumstances?

The beauty of providing choice to the player is that the player matters.

10 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Finally I know what I am.

With age comes wisdom sir 😁 Welcome to the Enlightened Encumbered Club! *flourished bow*

10 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

The beauty of providing choice to the player is that the player matters.

As always you hit the nail on the head with one succinct sentence.

That's what I was trying to say but didn't quite manage to.

However the answer to this question:

Can I afford to carry this clearly redundant hatchet around with me just so I can stuff it next to three others lining up in my base? "

will always be YES 🙂

Edited by Sgt Socks

7 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Are two bear skin coats really the best way to play the game under all circumstances?

Wait, can I wear two bearskin coats??? 

(I wouldn't because although I don't sprint all that much, I don't fancy playing tortoise against a Moose or Bear. However i could hibernate outside for a while if needed wearing two! 😁)

Edited by Sgt Socks

20 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Yes, you can. And at -35°C you will.

Awesome! I don't know why I thought I couldn't. Well that's my new fact for the day.

I don't think my current run will get that cold. I'm having trouble finding the right level of cold over time for my preference; medium too warm and high too cold. Well for a run focusing on wide exploration anyway. It feels to me like they could do with a low/medium/high/very high range as they do with, say, bear spawns. Rather than just the three options.

I do however like playing cold runs for the challenge... and this knowledge will be a massive help! No wonder I was having problems.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:28 PM, ImaginaryAlpaca said:

I love this game. But one thing has really taken from the game and I have thoughts. It's incredibly annoying when you can't carry much, get weighed down too easily, can't run for long. It's annoying that I have to choose between eating and have supplies, or running. I have suggestions. 

I think maybe adding a fast travel option could be a simple fix, or adding an upgrade system. A way to earn points to upgrade your back pack or increase stamina. I cannot possibly be the only one who gets annoyed that it takes an hour to wall across the game map... 🙄 

Alright, I'll disassemble this argument piece by piece cause I'm bored outta my skull.

It's incredibly annoying when you can't carry much, get weighed down too easily, can't run for long.

What in the world are you grabbing that weighs you down that easily? Do you have 4 jerrycans or something? As for "not running long", maybe your piles of clothing are encumbering you? I had the exact same issue when I played for the first few times- I was a total hoarder and wore every clothing item I could find. My sprint meter maxed out at maybe 50% when it was even usable. A few matches of Escape the Darkwalker broke me of that habit pretty quickly.

It's annoying that I have to choose between eating and have supplies, or running.

I know, but that's realistic. You can't carry everything you find and still run like Usain Bolt. You have to make decisions here, you can't have everything.

I think maybe adding a fast travel option could be a simple fix, or adding an upgrade system. A way to earn points to upgrade your back pack or increase stamina.

It's like talking to myself from three years ago. Instead of deciding on one or the other, you try for both. Fast travel would completely break immersion. If you want an upgraded backpack, go to Ash Canyon. If you want upgraded stamina, Feats are there for you.

I cannot possibly be the only one who gets annoyed that it takes an hour to wall across the game map... 🙄 

You try walking two miles in under an hour sometime. See how that turns out.
Also, you are the only one who gets annoyed by that, because it's part of gameplay.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, ImaginaryAlpaca said:

I love this game. But one thing has really taken from the game and I have thoughts. It's incredibly annoying when you can't carry much, get weighed down too easily, can't run for long. It's annoying that I have to choose between eating and have supplies, or running. I have suggestions. 

I think maybe adding a fast travel option could be a simple fix, or adding an upgrade system. A way to earn points to upgrade your back pack or increase stamina. I cannot possibly be the only one who gets annoyed that it takes an hour to wall across the game map... 🙄 

All that is part of the game. If you mean fast travel for Wintermute it would have to be part of the story otherwise no. Fast travel ruins immersion too fast and this game is about making choices whether you want to be weighed down and move slow but have many supplies or moving fast leaving behind supplies and onlly bringing the ones you really need.