Mountain lions, game birds, and edible berries

MattD

Hello, fellow long darkers. I think the addition of mountain lions (cougars) as a new predator would add yet another element of excitement to the game. Particularly in survival mode, but in wintermute as well. A real world threat in the Canadian wilderness, these solitary beasts are known for their speed and strength. They will stalk you from the shadows, and usually by the time you see them they're already poised to attack. I believe they should be more rare in the world than bears/moose, and reside primarily in the more mountainous regions such as hushed river valley, timberwolf mountain, and ash canyon. As well as a new predator, I also think it's time for a new game animal(s). I propose adding the Canadian spruce grouse (aka fool hens) to the game as the first avian prey for survivors to hunt and harvest. Similar to the wild hare we have now, they can yield a small amount of meat and gut. Instead of a hide, these can yield a few feathers. Another possible addition could be edible berries. Any other related suggestions or critiques are welcome! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pencil said:

I like these. A bird that can be hunted is a really good idea!

Thanks! I thought so too. I got the idea from the novel Hatchet by Gary Paulson about a young plane crash survivor named Brian who had to survive on his own in the Canadian wilderness. There's actually a lot of similarities between that story and The Long Dark as far as survival goes. The berries could be useful as well, like cat tail stalks, especially in early game interloper runs. 

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone! Haven't posted on this thread in a while, but with the release of the expansion pass roadmap, I'm pleased to say that Hinterland is adding fool hens (ptarmigan) and cougars to the game! I'm sure it isn't because I posted this here on the wishlist. But my wish did come true and now I'm even more excited than I already was for the release of TFTFT!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2