A case for handguns in TLD

Dancewithknives

On 4/15/2022 at 2:34 AM, Kranium said:

Regarding the OP, I don't think this game needs more guns, what's there now is perfectly fine. (just to be clear on my position there)

I've already had to abandon ship twice, due to forest fire. But that's not a "grab the guns!" situation. Otherwise, I'm bugging in. But if I lived elsewhere and had to do that sorta thing, I'd bring my 12ga shotgun since it's the most versatile (birdshot/buckshot/slug). Some consideration for my takedown .22, due to pack size & ammo:weight ratio. I'd also bring 1 handgun (probably my Glock) but only because it's so small and trivial to carry in a holster.

If people had to leave in a hurry, they wouldn't be dragging their entire armoury along with them, IMHO. So it makes sense to find some in-game. Shotguns are more common than handguns, though, as they're ubiquitous for defending oneself & farm out here, even ignoring hunting & sport shooting. If it would have been up to me, it would be a shotty rather than a revolver in the game. I'd have made the ammo more scarce & non-reloadable (like the flare gun) so it wouldn't be too overpowered. You can reload shotgun ammo, but it's not as common in my experience. And don't forget the bear spray!

🙂

also a three handgun Canadian... but realistically for all the reasons listed above, the last thing the game needs is another firearm 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 11:34 PM, Kranium said:

If people had to leave in a hurry, they wouldn't be dragging their entire armoury along with them, 

I just wanted to quickly revisit this as there was some recent activity that prompted me to reread the thread.
anyway, I perhaps wasn't asking the right question when I asked what would you do if you had to bug out, I probably should have prefaced my question by saying that most of the residents of GBI didn't just up and leave in hurry.  They left slowly as conditions on the island worsened, ie seismic activity, breakdown in shipping etc.   Assuming that was the case, I wouldn't think that too many firearms would have been abandoned?  does that make sense?   Obviously different if you gotta bug out because of sudden flooding or fire as was in your case.  

2 hours ago, Kranium said:

Makes sense to me, there wasn't much left behind. Cash in registers being an outlier, however.

considering that inflation was probably rampant at the time of the economic collapse according to lore, I'll bet paper money didn't hold much value.   
Isn't there actually a sign in the Orca Gas Station in Milton that says ask about "Barter?"  I seem to recall just having seeing that in there recently as I passed thru.
That would go a long way to explaining why you find money in odd places...