Your first encounter with the bear.

Smellyfries

The Bear in The Long Dark is rather intimidating, an animal that possesses the strength to end a run in a single maul, and is seemingly unstoppable, even after you put 4 well aimed shots into it, as it charges towards you.

So, I'm interested in hearing the stories of other survivors, and their recollection of the first bear they ever encountered in The Long Dark, and how they dealt with such a seemingly unstoppable force.

I personally encountered my first bear in Costal Highway, the bear that lives in its cave beneath the homestead sitting upon an island. I encountered it on my first attempt to go fishing in the nearby Ice hut, and saw it for my first time, leaving its cave, and beginning to wander off to terrorize the local rabbits. In my shock, and desperate state for food, I immediately equipped a rifle, walked directly up and close enough for the bear to notice me, and fired one, very-inaccurate shot at the bear. As bears normally do in The Long Dark, it charged. Attempting to run away from it was the most terrifying thing I had ever encountered up to that point, the growling and heavy breathing as you hear the bear quickly out-run you, and the terror of not knowing what would happen, whether it would be an instant death. Needless to to say, I very quickly bled out after getting mauled, as this was one of my first survivors, and I hadn't brought any bandages, and as with every death in The Long Dark, this taught me a very valuable lesson. And as a side note, I always name the bear that spawns within that cave Yogi, Yogi the bear.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, can't wait to hear everyone's stories!

• Upvote 1

Mine also was at coastal highway but the one near the bridge. I was walking back from the tooth to the cabins when I saw it on the road! I got onto a rock nearby thinking I was safe !  I took the shot and it turned round ,so i held my rifle up to fire again but it wouldn't let me!  I promptly got a good mauling and had hardly any life left! I took the required meds and went into the cabin to recover! I never woke up! 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I can't remember... one mauling blends into another and all I really remember is the close up facial animation (great job with that, HL).  I focus on giving all of them as wide a berth as I possibly can.  I remember most the bear I managed to escape... I walked out of the Desolation Point processing plant rather unawares... and the bear was right there... startled me and I somehow jammed the controller such that my character backed right into some of the debris in the yard and the bear couldn't reach me and turned and walked away.  It felt like a victory... even though I had no way to get out of the situation I was in and eventually had to give up on that file.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

Here before this post blows up with bear encounters! 

Mine was in by the hybernia processing, can't remember if it's in CH or DP, one of the two. 

I was just leaving the factory when like @UpUpAway95, I got jumpscared by the infamous roar, I turned to see a bear on its hind legs, exited the save, never played it again! Of course I don't do that any more but I believe that was one of my very first saves so I didn't know what would happen and it scared the life out of me! 

Thought I'd mention I was walking away from the factory so it was too late to run back, with good old Yogi being so close. Maybe I could have made it, maybe not, I'll unfortunately never know

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 2

My first game took place in DP, but instead of getting destroyed by the bear, I got surrounded by wolves and chased onto thin ice near the ocean shore. I survived the first plunge into the water, and then the wolf finished me off when I was placed back onto sturdy ice. That was what I got for trying to play for the first time on Stalker. Good times.

• Upvote 2

It's been a long time since it happened but who can forget?

I had always feared bears big time; a physical reaction to seeing them and I'd just slink off the other way. One day, high up on a cliff I saw one below and figured this is the chance to get a cheap shot in and start to overcome my fears...so, I let one fly. It connected but the bear just tanked it, turned and ran. I though that was that, a first step taken, move along. Not a minute later I hear the beast charging over the horizon; he'd come the long way around and up and yeah...it didn't end well for me. But an unforgettable moment, one of many in this great game.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

DISCLAIMER: THIS BEAR ENCOUNTER DID NOT OCCUR IN THE LONG DARK

THIS IS A TRUE STORY OF A REAL LIFE ENCOUNTER WITH A BLACK BEAR

Ok, enough with the barnstorming. A few years ago, we were on vacation in North Carolina, or Tennessee, don’t remember which. Anyway, we were heading to a waterfall on a winding mountain road. We passed a bear crossing sign, but paid no heed, except to look out the windows. However, the windows were soon a sideshow when A BLACK BEAR MOM AND HER CUB STROLLED ACROSS THE ROAD. We braked just in time to avoid hitting her cub. However, she just gave us a contemptuous sidewise glance and nonchalantly herded her cub the rest of the way across the road. We were so surprised that we didn’t get a chance to take a picture.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

While it wasn't my first encounter with a bear... it was one of my earlier encounters and most memorable.

I was hunting the bear that liked to stalk through Hibernia on Desolation Point:

• I let it get to close; it started to charge
  • My shot was panicked and failed to bring it down
  • I back peddled to try and get another shot... heard ice cracking under my feet.
  • Got mauled...
  • Fell through the weak ice immediately after... pulled myself out (of course soaking wet and hypothermic)
  • Got mauled again, before I could even stumble away...
  • Very promptly died.  :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Never made those mistakes again.

Edited by ManicManiac
Don't know why I always want to spell Hibernia with a "y"...
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first time I got mauled by the bear was also my first time playing on stalker. I had managed to avoid all the bears on my lower difficulty runs. So, I suppose that made me a bit cocky. I was on my way back to trappers homestead from an unsuccessful hunt in forlorn muskeg. Just as the cabin came into view, I noticed the bear over by the barn across the way. I could have avoided him, but I wanted his pelt so I could craft the bear coat. I walked closer to the cabin so I'd have an escape when he charged. I aimed the rifle and took a shot at him. I don't know if I hit him or not, but he charged me. I greatly underestimated how fast he was and how far I was from the cabin. I ran to the door and heard him gaining on me. I just barely made it inside to safety. I waited a bit inside for him to go back to where he was and went back out for a second shot. When I went out, I didn't know where he was. I could see his footprints and it seemed like he had left or despawned. I started to walk back down and that's when I heard the roar. As soon as I turned around he was on me and I got my first mauling. I came to with 15% condition and torn clothing. As soon as I tried to go back to the cabin, the bear turned around and mauled me again. This ended my first stalker run at day 93.

• 1 month later...

I love this thread!

I'll never forget my first bear encounter. 

I hadn't been playing the game long (goodness, how the years fly by!) and was newly exploring Coastal Highway.

I'd just left the Rabbit Grove Poacher's (?) cabin and was working my way down the river. A blizzard hit. I decided that I'd camp behind a rock just off Bear Campground. Yes Socks you idiot. BEAR Campground.

Anyway I'll never forget the sheer terror as I wake from sleep to that roar and then the mauling began!

Dead. Very dead.

I still avoid that area. Even after all these years I'll never forget this first terrifying encounter! After that I made it my mission to learn how to take them down before they get me because that roar scares the bejesus out of me still.