Sadness in Blackrock

Stone

Well, the tradition is to head to a new zone with my long term survivor to pit her wits against the unknown. The terrain would be cold and unwelcoming and surely Timberwolves would be wait. Risks, as always, can be managed. Starting from camp at the climbers cave, we departed well equipped with siege tactics in mind. We'd heard Blackrock could be reached via TWM and, if the rumors were true, we could enter via a cave. This cave, stocked with moose meat, would be a base to slowly venture out and explore from.

We arrived in Blackrock, torch burning brightly as we left the cave, its mouth stocked with food and coal. There was a fine view of the landscape that dropped away below. With a pocket full of charcoal, a few sketches were taken of the immediate surroundings. A high leftward path through an arch gave way to a descending serious of scrambles. A fire was lit in the sheltered lee of the arch and water set to boil. Scouting further revealed a rope dropping towards the road below. As evening approached we ventured down to inspect the rope and then up a slight rise next to it to discover a brilliant viewpoint. Retreat, always considered, the scrambles a 15 second dash behind. The was light enough for a quick sketch to could be made.

The scratch of coal on paper is interrupted; a rising cacophony of growling and barking, apparently from far, far below at the cliff foot. Turning and moving swiftly for the scramble back up to the fire, the vicious snarls fading from hearing. The wolf pack might have no way up from the bottom of the cliff but there was no need to take a chance. We'd investigate further tomorrow. Suddenly, the baying pack emerged from the left. Three sleek grey bodies at least. But the scramble is mere yards, they would surely be out run and, definitely, out climbed. As hand reach for rocky holds, so blood loss warnings flash. But then the pack are left behind, fire back in view above.

Before reaching the fire, some first aid is prudent. Condition had in the seconds before the climb dropped. From 105% to... to... 25%. And the cause - six... no, seven...seven? Seven! Seven instances of blood loss. Legs and arms. It happened in a moment. Seven bandages needed. Six in hand. Six applied. The seventh? Where will that come from? There is no time. The world spins in a riot of colors. Looking up to that merry fire, now impossibly far away, I thought: somethings might have been done differently. Above all, we should not have come here for we will not be leaving.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And so a new interloper run. Started in Timberwolf mountain with a hacksaw at the hut so I figure: let's do this! 2 days later I'm at the summit having hit Ash Canyon on route and picked up the backpack/crampons and a sweet bear skin coat!

Fast forward 12 days and I'm in the camp office, mystery lake, at the end of some serious montage activity. I've been getting tooled to go back to BlackRock and kill every last mother crushing  Timberwolf. 2 blue flares, bow and a ton of arrows. I step out the front door. And then I think:  bugger this. What is the point? They can have BlackRock. I head back inside. And all is right in the quiet apocalypse once more.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

My first time in months playing TLD, I started in Blackrock, and was almost killed by Timberwolves while trying to find the handle of a trailer door, then died as soon as I stepped inside. Read the full story on my thread “the Tales of King Arthur’s Knights”.