The Long Dark Updated to v2.00 [91441]

Admin

404389374_Hotfix-SteamLibrarySpotlight.thumb.png.7c962810fb0a73a69805556a8c912cc4.png

Hello Community,

We have released our v2.00 (91441) Quality of Life Update for The Long Dark. This update includes some significant bug fixes, along with game and performance improvements. Please note that it may take time to update across all platforms. 

Thank you for your patience and support. Please remember to visit our Support Portal if you encounter any issues while playing the game. You can also access a current list of Known Issues below. 

For additional news and information about The Long Dark and Hinterland, please sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio).

A note about the Unity Upgrade:

This Quality of Life update includes a major update of the Unity Engine, to version 2019.4.34f1. Updating Unity touches every system we have in the game, and requires the entire game to be tested. Despite our best efforts, it is possible that such a major update to core technology may have unforeseen outcomes. If you experience any bugs or unusual behaviour that you think might be the result of this Unity update, please submit a Bug Report to our Support Portal.

Please note that this update will likely impact any mods you may have installed or have created. While we don’t provide any official support for mods, please feel free to visit our Mod Forum with any questions and we will monitor questions to help where we can. 

GENERAL FIXES

• [Update] Updated Unity to 2019.4.34f1
  • [Rendering] Fixed an issue that caused excessive Z-Fighting (flickering) to appear on numerous objects and the environment when playing the game on Linux.
  • [Rendering] Updated Linux builds to use Vulcan by default.
  • [General] Optimized save data to help reduce the overall size of save files.
  • [General] Fixed an issue that could cause stuttering or freezes when Lighting a Campfire or Torch.
  • [General] Fixed an issue that caused containers that the Player had already searched, to re-randomize their contents.
  • [General] Fixed the issue where explosion decals from Noisemakers disappeared between game sessions.
  • [Gameplay] Added measures to prevent Players from falling through objects when they wake after sleeping.

USER INTERFACE

• [Map] Fixed an issue that caused the Prepper Caches to appear on the Map, even when the Player hasn’t Surveyed that area.
  • [UI] Blackrock Region: Fixed an incorrect button icon for the “Go Down” prompt when using the Elevator found in the Blackrock Mine.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that caused some text on the Main Menu to render at a lower resolution than expected. 
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that prevented Players from properly opening the Radial Menu when Steam Input was enabled.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that caused the Crafting Filter to default to the Ammunition Crafting Filter for all benches, after interacting with the Ammunition Crafting Bench.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that caused Subtitles and Closed Captions to no longer appear when the Voiceover audio level was set to 0. 
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that would cause fuel to automatically be added to a fire when accessing the “Add Fuel” menu with an Xbox Controller.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that caused item-related warning messages to appear underneath menus when attempting to use them.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that caused some locations to report as newly discovered when they had already been discovered. 
  • [UI] Fixed an issue where the Journal displayed the incorrect number of collectable Buffer Memories.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue where the Blackrock Region map was missing some roads.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that would cause an empty UI box to appear if the Player pressed “Escape” when viewing the Cooking Slot menu.   

ART FIXES

• [Enviro] General art and environment polish pass on all Regions.
  • [Enviro] Fixed numerous locations where bushes and grass would clip through the environment or other objects.
  • [Enviro] Fixed a number of floating objects found throughout the world.
  • [Enviro] Fixed a small hole found on the interior geometry of cars.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed a misaligned water trigger so that Players will no longer drown before reaching the water below the Power Plant entrance.  
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed an issue that caused light effects to appear in the Steam Tunnels during the Aurora, even if there are no electrical items in the area.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed numerous locations that provided Players with access to invalid areas of the Region.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed many floating or misplaced objects.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed many issues where items could fall through the world if dropped at certain locations.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed many issues where players could become stuck or fall through the world.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed many issues where snow wasn't being lit correctly.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed an issue that caused some door frames to disappear, allowing Players to unintentionally see through them. 
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Adjusted the Level of Detail settings in a number of locations to prevent geometry from unsightly popping-in.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed scaling issues with some of the rock facades found throughout the region.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed an issue that prevented the Player from breaking down the Hand Truck found in the Prison Interior. 
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed an issue that would cause some materials to float after breaking down an object when in the Old Substation.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed a small hole found in the Steam Tunnel geo.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Replaced a static version of the Car Battery found in some vehicles with the correct (interactable) version.
  • [Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed an issue that would cause Players to sink through the planks found in the Mines if they saved the game and then reloaded while standing on the planks. 
  • [Enviro] Hushed River Valley: Fixed various Birch Saplings that were placed too deeply in the snow. 

SURVIVAL

• [Gameplay] Mountain Town: Fixed an issue that would cause the Key for Paradise Meadows Farm to de-spawn, preventing Players from being able to retrieve it.
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that caused pre-existing Carcasses to decay faster than intended. (Still investigating decay rates for animals killed by Players.) 
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that caused the Ballistic Vest’s buff to remain active even after the vest was taken off.
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that prevented the Noisemaker from exploding if thrown at exactly the same time a struggle starts.
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that would cause some items found in the Blackrock Mines to create new stacks when added to inventory, instead of stacking with existing items.
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue that caused Noisemakers to become unlit if lit before transitioning through a load screen, resulting in inconsistent fuse burn times.
  • [Gameplay] Fixed an issue where players could interact with containers while holding a lit Noisemaker.
  • [Crafting] Fixed an issue where Crampon Repair mistakenly required a Sewing Kit.
  • [Crafting] Crafting the Noisemaker will no longer increase your Repair Skill.
  • [Crafting] Fixed an issue that allowed Players to craft more Bullets then their current supply of Gunpowder would allow.

WINTERMUTE

** Please note that this section contains spoilers for WINTERMUTE. ** 

• [EP 2] Fixed an issue that could prevent the Player from being able to open the gate to the Carter Dam.
  • [EP 2] Fixed missing dialogue audio when asking Methuselah about Wildlife. 
  • [EP 4] Fixed a bug that could cause the game to hang or enter other incorrect states if an autosave occurred while a cinematic was playing. This addresses numerous issues including NPCs becoming stuck or the game loading to a black screen.  
  • [EP 4] Fixed an issue that would cause Players to become stuck in the Suffocating state if they saved and reloaded while suffocating. 
  • [EP 4] Blackrock Blues: Fixed an issue that prevented Players from being able to climb through the window leading to the Infirmary.

CUSTOM MODE

• [Custom] Fixed an issue so that Voyager and Stalker default difficulty are now correctly set to “Random.”

CHALLENGE MODES

• [Darkwalker] Fixed an issue that prevented Players from viewing the text warning "Cannot rest when Anxious/Afraid" when suffering from the Anxious/Afraid Affliction.
  • [Archivist\As the Dead Sleep] Fixed an issue that would cause locations to incorrectly appear as “Surveyed” at the start of the Challenge.
  • [As the Dead Sleep] Fixed an issue that would cause the Journal to appear corrupted if the challenge ended while the Journal was open.   

KNOWN ISSUES

• Steam Deck: Players who use the Frame Lock option during gameplay may see black rectangles instead of tree art. There may also be an increased chance of crashes.
  • PS4: Players on PS4 may notice that they are missing HDR after the update. Additionally, this issue could mean that brightness controls might not work. We are working to resolve this.
  • All Platforms: Surveyed Locations are not accurate in the Collections > Surveyed Locations section of the Player's journal. Players will still be able to Survey locations, check which locations need to be discovered, and unlock the Faithful Cartographer Achievement.
  • All Platforms: The voice Volume Slider audio option will not change the volume of voice lines.

### END OF RELEASE NOTES ###

• Upvote 7
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

April Development Diary?

Thanks for your question! We have not yet posted a Dev Diary for spring. We are working on one, but we don't have a date at this time. We will be sure to share more information as soon as it is available. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

Thank you for this update, but I didn't see any mention of the door that you can't open to the infirmary at Blackrock. Is that fixed or has there been any info added to address this?

We are still working to address the confusion here, but you can access the Infirmary via the door at ground level. Thank you for reaching out! 

WOW !   That was a big update.   

I was only aware of a small number of problems.  I can see how it took so long to do.

It's downloaded, now I can try it.😄

Addendum

Ugh, Ugh, I think I have problem already.  Blackrock is not included in the Journal, Surveyed Locations.  Or have I misunderstood something?

Edited by peteloud

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

I've read that before but the door on the outside is locked with no information as to how to unlock it. The door in the stairwell also does not allow entrance.

Clarify about Infirmary.
Story Episode 4: Enter the building from the rooftop.
Survival Mode: The front door cannot be opened, you cannot enter the ground floor. (It's intentional and as designed. The ground floor is empty.)
The small door next to it is always unlocked so you can always enter the building, there are stairs where you can go upstairs.

Edited by stmSantana

9 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Thank you very much for the fixes!!

I didn't see anything on items dropped on the Blackrock workshop floor possibly sinking into the floor?

Pretty sure it's covered under this item:

"[Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed many issues where items could fall through the world if dropped at certain locations. "

my Astrid has been perfectly quiet for over 400 days but since this update she totally refuses to shut up even when I turn the voice to 0 in the audio options.  Intended? Solution anyone? 
Maped Locations are no longer shown in the journal as total numbers but have a green check mark in the details. Effect on the achievement ? ☠️

• Upvote 2

Thank you so much for continuing your dedicated support to The Long Dark. I don't play survival games. I don't like them. I bought The Long Dark in Xbox Game Preview before Wintermute was conceived.

That fact alone makes this game impressive in my eyes. Yet you went above and beyond, not only with actors but with the quality of game (the dreaded save file system update) provided and by offering a story mode with only a single price increase of $10 over the life of the game.

The fact that you are continuing to finish the story mode is amazing. After all these years, I still know we'll see the conclusion. So many other games with dev cycles this long axe the project after 2 episodes.

The updates to survival mode are equally impressive and expansive, and now the fact that you've taken the time to update the core engine and actually tackle and address the issues that come along with that is above and beyond.

I just want to say that I'm SUPER proud to have supported this game in its infancy. I keep coming back no matter how long of a break I might take. It hasn't left my Xbox since I bought it.

On a side note, will there be a possibly of next gen updates down the road?

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

may I ask mr. @Admin is this a prelude to episode 5 or just a bug update that's completely unrelated? Oh and what's linux?

I can't speak for the first question but the second one, Linux is an operating system that predates Windows and is still heavily used due to its functionalities.

I know this has been an issue ever since the previous build, but there is still Severe pop-in issues. I have the draw distance set to Max, and yet it doesn't seem help at all. Are there any updates on this bug in particular?

Edited by GamingTilTheEnd
  • Upvote 1

I just discovered that 1) the fire barrel at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead has been changed to a Rim Grill.  No real problem with that though having my point of view shifted upwards away from the fire I am trying to start when I want to light a fire or add fuel was a bit distracting.  I'll get used to that. 

It could be a kind of a problem for low fire starting skill characters who try to light a stick using the magnifying lens (I found that the remaining fire duration on the stick could be an issue if one has to reestablish contact with the fire to feed it more fuel.  

BUT, more significantly, 2) I can no longer light a torch at either the Rim Grill or the Farmstead stove as I get presented with the Add Fuel, Take Torch, etc. choices.  I can TAKE a torch from the Rim Grill or the Farmstead Stove but I cannot light one.  I do not know yet about the Farmstead fireplace as I wanted to light a torch to light the fireplace not add more fuel to the stove so I could pull a torch to light the fireplace.  😅

• Upvote 2

On 4/7/2022 at 7:40 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

Pretty sure it's covered under this item:

"[Enviro] Blackrock Region: Fixed many issues where items could fall through the world if dropped at certain locations. "

I haven't had a chance to confirm this, have you?

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I haven't had a chance to confirm this, have you?

Not yet.  I have started a run in Blackrock, but I haven't made it through the mine yet to get the code... limited time to play today.  I'll try to have a tested result tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone else having massive problems with animals despawning since the last update?

I shot a bear square in the face with two arrows, then ducked into the hunter's lodge. Waited a few seconds and exited. The bear is gone, in his place are the two arrows I shot into him. I look around for a while, and then see the bear slowly walking towards the lodge from the gap next to the barn. Even aside from the arrows, there's no way I waited long enough for him to get there and turn around. It's almost as if he was removed from the hut and respawned again further off, near his cave. Needless to say, he didn't bleed out either.

I've also shot several deer and another bear I can't find the corpses of (they are recorded dead in the log), but I can't prove anything with those yet so I'll have to chalk it down to some more unfortunate than usual deer running patterns.

Edited by Andy_K
  • Upvote 1