Contest: The Long Dark Story Time

beautyinbaylee_SS.thumb.jpg.4bf839dfdb81d7a56dfbce661c9e1ff3.jpg

Hi Community,

This month, you’re invited to share your best (visual) short story for a chance to win an authentic Hinterland or The Long Dark mug

584840497_image(2).png.81295db44c36497368382e04777045bf.png1796099021_image(1).thumb.png.b68ebb17992513bb2a0a1a0f7bc7b65a.png

How To Enter
Use a combination of text and screenshots from The Long Dark to craft a work of creative fiction, or to share an experience you’ve had in the game. When you’re finished, share your story as a comment on this thread! 

Looking for inspiration? Check out this great post by Piddy3825 for an example:

Rules

• Please remember to follow the Forum Rules and Guidelines
  • Please be respectful of other entries and participants. 
  • Minimum 3 paragraphs and 3 photos per story. (Maximum of 15 paragraphs, 15 photos per story.)
  • Limit of 2 original entries per person. 
  • Contest closes April 8th at 4PM (PDT). 
  • The winning entry will be shared here and on social media the week of April 11th. Plus, the winner will receive a mug of their choosing! (Note: Due to shipping restrictions, we are unable to ship to Russia. Other shipping restrictions may apply.

Good luck! 

- The Hinterland Team

Update: 

Thank you to everyone who participated—our community certainly didn't disappoint! We genuinely enjoyed reading all of the entries, and we had a very hard time choosing one. 

Congratulations, @Ryal! Your beautiful story, "A Final Wish" was selected as the winner of The Long Dark Story Time Contest. Please send us a direct message to collect your prize.

Thank you, again, for all of the fantastic stories. We welcome everyone to continue sharing tales inspired by The Long Dark on the Fan Creations section of the forum: https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/forum/27-fan-creations-art-fiction-music-etc/ 

• Upvote 6
  • Like 2

image.thumb.png.2fad8d4d455a8bf44aa8c43772612c9b.png

A burst of static eminated from the radio as it suddenly crackled to life at 04:32 am. I rose from my bed in sudden exitement for there hadn't been any contact with anyone on the island since the incident. I paused to look out the window and noticed the lights in the sky. Mother Nature seemed to be celebrating as she painted waves of red and green hues across the heavens weaving the most delightful light show I had seen in ages.
Faint at first but with increasing power and clarity I could hear the voice as the message began.
I listened intensely...

image.thumb.png.fb8159e78a989a58244953cff4e144a9.png

"It's the worst case of Rabies the island has ever seen!" the voice on the radio continued. "It's spreading like wildfire and it appears to be a new mutated strain. It's like nothing we've ever seen before!" the speaker continued. "We need help! We need it fast!" the voice practically shouted thru the radio. "Our local biologist is injured and needs medical attention. He was severely bitten and appears to be infected with the virus..." the voice trailed off as the static suddenly began to crackle again, the aurora fading from the night sky as the sun began to rise.

image.thumb.png.c9127ba78031c4ddae88e57134cdc0a9.png

"Damn!" I said out loud to no one in the room but myself.
I really wish I didn't have to do this, but there's only one persons I can call, the only person even remotely qualified to help solve this problem and stop the disease from spreading to all the animals on the island. Am I really gonna have to call my ex-wife? I pondered?
"Do you know any other Nobel prize winning Virologists who are leading experts in Wildlife Rabies Management and contracted by the Canadian Ministry of Health for their expertise in Dangerous Disease Management?" a meek little voice in the back of my head asked?

"Damn, damn, damn!" I muttered and reached for the phone.

image.thumb.png.21fdb86b69597a4176b623c169ad8311.png

"What??? What???" she stammered... "Wait a just a moment before you say anything else," she continued looking me straight in the eye. "I have not seen you for 10 or more years and you have the nerve to just summon me and demand I go with you on some search and rescue mission?" she paused for a deep breath before continuing her tirade. "To some friggin off grid backwater island that's also in the midst of a island wide rabies pandemic???" she said asking acidly.
"Damn You Will! I'm a research doctor! I work in a Laboratory. You know the kind of place with centerfuges and test tubes, bunsen burners?" she shook her head in bewilderment.

image.png.6df2c39fa88d706f671812fb2654a791.png

She put the case on my desk. "It's all here. Everything you need. Antivirals, test kits, rabies retroviruses, sample bags, syringes and assorted supplies." she said as she pushed the case across the desk nearly knocking a bottle of whisky onto the floor.  "You didn't really think I'd just leave you hanging, did you Will?" she grinned. The look on my face made her smile.  Smiling, that was something that was very rare for her to do lately. The stress of managing a billion dollar virology research center with staff of over 100 etremely qualified clinicians was beginning to wear her down. The constant bickering among the department heads and section chiefs had started making her feel more like a referee and a lot less than a research scientist. "When do we leave?" she asked

image.thumb.png.5c67a9aae962e7e5bfaa8c886a9e9e04.png

I had already been busy and had preflighted the plane so it wasn't long before I had the wing tanks topped off and the baggage secured. The night was cold and clear, the sea calm as I taxied the aircraft across the smooth surface of the bay. As slight breeze stirred a few ripples across the waters surface and a few drops of moisture hit the windscreen.  I turned the nose of the airplane into the wind and pushed forward the throttle. Vrrooommmm!!! The thrust of the 12 cylinder turboprop literally pulled the aircraft into the sky the accleration so swift it pressed us both into our seats as my  pontoon plane took to the air. Within minutes the airplane reached it's cruising altitude and we were on the way to the island.

image.thumb.png.4e9dd87756f1e4b580719cf5319e9932.png

Our destination, Perserverance Mills. The only place anywhere on the island with an ice free bay on account of the undersea hotsprings whose volcanically heated water helped keep the bays water temperature a crisp eight degrees celcius year round even during the worst winter conditions imaginable. And the fact that PM was also one of the only areas on the island somehow immune or shielded from the weird effects of the incident that had exposed the island to some unexplained geomagnetic event. Any further inland and the plane would lose power and crash.
Landing without incident we  quickly manuvered into the harbor and docked the plane on the old ramshackled pier. As expected an old battered wood and fiberglass reinforced canoe waited for us along the waters edge nearby. We wasted no time in gathering the gear from the plane and loading the canoe. "Gawd, I hate the cold!" Astrid breathed icily. Yeah it was cold, This year was one of the worst winter seasons on record. The worst on record, actually. Ever.

image.thumb.png.58ddf135e5b45134d9447170f0801ba6.png

Rowing as far as we could, it wasn't long before we saw ice forming in the water. Being careful to avoid being caught between two or more floes, we gingerly navigated the canoe as far as we could before having being forced to beach our vessel.  We looked in amazement at the aftermatch of the polar vortex that had hit the area during the incident. So much frozen seawater.  Neither of us could comprehend the magintude of what we were looking at. Orca whales solidly frozen half in and half outta the ice. Fishing vessels firmly frozen in places. And all we could hear as we continued on the way, heavily burdened by the overstuffed backpacks and all the gear we were now forced to carry, was the call of the crows echoing in ours ears...
Caw, Caw, Caw....

image.thumb.png.4029b6e0dc602353743010fc3f03007a.png

With every step we took we could hear the cawing of crows. I merely had to look up from the path and I could see crows flitting about in the clear skys.
Astrid looked at me  and said, "I have I ever told you how much I dislike crows?"
I stopped and turned, a quizzical look on my face. "uh, No." I replied. Before she could say anymore, I continued, "It's been over 10 years since we talked. We never talked much before anyway, and when we did it was just you complaining about your work. Lack of funding, right?"
She stood there, eyes narrowing as she weighed the retort on her lips. Her anger rising, she blurted, "More like your constant drinking as I recall! Lack of funding? Funding is the one thing you've been lacking since you started that stupid flight service..." And with that final note ringing in my ears, I just started walking again leaving her where she stood.

image.thumb.png.dc445922d1b3d054e226f612a0a64174.png

We walked in silence, each of us caught up in our own thoughts as we reached the first tunnel leading into the small island community. There were a few cars parked by the side of the road. Apparently abandoned by their owners when they found the tunnel had been blocked by a cave in. As I approached one of the vehicles it was apparent one of the drivers was still inside. I rushed over to the car, wiping the snow from the window and gently knocked on the glass so as not to startle the driver but forcefully enough to gain his attention. After a few moments, I realized the driver was dead. I tried opening the doors but the driver had locked them all.
Basically he had created his own tomb. The irony of the situation was not lost on either of us.

image.thumb.png.befcd3e3947a190bbb1d93a8d5f9717b.png

The next few days passed without event as they finally made our way to the Camp Office where the Island's biologist was headquartered. Astrid found him on his cot, trembling with fever and convulsions as the virus attacked his brain and his vital organs. Astrid prepared a syringe filled with broad spectrum antibiotics and a potent antiviral agent especially formulated to effectively curtail the rabies virus. Handing the syringe to me, she said, "You're gonna have to inject the medicene directly into his heart. Be careful that you don't hit his ribcage. That could break off the needle inside him."  I looked at her hesitantly as I gently took the syringe from her hand.
"I'd do it myself but I'm not strong enough to force the needle thru the ribcage cartilage," she said.

Thump...  Too little, too late?

image.thumb.png.d13bf93b1502b0f4f253c9c5c05acaed.png

We spent the next day gathering stones for the burial mound. The ground was frozen solid and digging was nearly impossible. Not to mention that they didn't have any shovels...  It took us long into the late afternoon gathering enough rocks to lay the old man to rest.  I did my best to fashion a cross out of some sticks I found, please with my efforts I placed it reverently at the head of burial mound. We stood in awkward silence for a few moments and gave our respects to the dead.
Neither of us was very religious, but never the less, we were both silently praying that we would not suffer a similar fate.

image.thumb.png.54982f710a9a87a958b8afeca2ec2061.png

Caw! Caw! Caw!
The crows laughed among themselves as they watched the duo slowly retreat to the cabin.
Caw! Caw! Caw!
The murder of crows took to the air, their bellies full of rabies tainted meat and headed for the mainland...

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 7
  • Like 1

For my entry I went for a more poetic approach, rather than a full story. I hope you enjoy my little work :]

“Memories”

What happens once the world goes quiet? When you find yourself on a place, where nowhere feels like home. And you seek that life you had before. What happens to the people who we lost? All their memories, experiences. All lost, gone with the wind and covered by the snow.

671656428_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_20_33AM.thumb.jpeg.da6c23565f6c617c1a45cb430fbe63fd.jpeg

I find myself to be lost, alone in a world where I don’t belong. As I dwell on the memories from times before. Filling out pages with endless stories, and a feeling of hope.

And I stand, watching as the world goes on, mother nature claiming back what once was hers. And the cold harsh winter taking over what was left.

2130577068_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_27_02AM.thumb.jpeg.b3e29e95f250a13b95f5a6f704d271a4.jpeg

Accompanied by the sun I go, as it tints the sky red. In my journey to seek, on my quest to learn. Learn about the past, as I prepare for what’s next.

48028865_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_29_42AM.thumb.jpeg.d5094b9b67952b7f316e5065f0211931.jpeg

I glare into the window watching the lights. As they dance and make the world seem fine. Even if it’s just for a little while.

2011025473_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_28_33AM.thumb.jpeg.a90b492d9a83f7e3bfb0a68a94c3aff1.jpeg

The sound of the radio that plays the same song, the crackling of the lights that once lit up this place. The howling of the wolves that have come here to stay.

502470052_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_30_45AM.thumb.jpeg.f4ed46d9e5e1d859512b9ec9638096ef.jpeg

And I stand where once they stood. Where they laughed, where they cried. A strange serenity, an unpleasant quietness.

1796488292_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_44_32AM.thumb.jpeg.b1869a22680f25be86e06683f3d10bd3.jpeg

I walk through paths that were discovered once before me. As nature takes its part.

1123355579_WhatsAppImage2022-04-04at7_50_35AM.thumb.jpeg.27f08ad2a49d4ad1bb558ff015a991a9.jpeg

At last, it is all worth it. In hope it brings you back.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 9

Journal
Day 1
I am a local journalist who is interested in mystical stories about nature and after hearing some crazy news
about Great Bear Island, ı wanted to visit this place personally. I picked up my camera, a detailed map of the region,
my notebook, pens and the most important ones, my curious eyes.
So
It begins.

Day 2
After ı fell asleep in plane, ı woke up suddenly with a huge crash. It was freezing inside but somehow ı throw out myself.
Luckily ı could able to breathe and walk so ı got my camera and tried to take some picture. You can see how bad this is.
Immediatly ı pick some medical stuff, a pair of gloves, a wool hat, bottle of water and soda. I was going out (have no idea
where ı am) but when ı go outside, blizzard got me so ı went inside and look up for cockpit. Captains are also dead (which
ı never forget that scene). I waited for blizzard ıt finally ended about 2 hours later and ı found some biscuits and 
chocolates.

• 1.thumb.png.ff427d038695d07df28cdd510af66146.png

I go outside on the other side of plane and ı freezed for what ı saw. I really don't remember how ı got this picture but ı
 remember my freezing tears did not hurt me more than that scene. Deads are everywhere, arms, shoes, fingers and blood,
blood, more blood. I was thinking how ı am still alive but ı ran away when ı heard wolves.

• 2.thumb.png.a63ec522128fe4c063e8870a503a3f08.png

Day 4
I found a cave near the plane crash, start fire after my infinite attempts and ate some plane foods, wound up my legs and
left arm. It was colder and colder every hours so sun was showing up a little, ı walked and saw a big red building like
barn. I got down with a rope and walked to red barn when ı saw some beautiful birch trees.It was an amazing birch labyrinth
which ı wanted to take a picture. For a second, ı forgot where ı am, how miserable ı am.
Isn't ıt beautiful?3.thumb.png.83c6ea4f40f1bca41b596fce596b4752.png

After that, ı heard some crow voices and ta da! Another dead bodies. I got curious what happened to these guys. Thanks to
guy on the left, he had a bottle of water so he resolved my thirst.4.thumb.png.c0b4287289bfaf3d3f4195742da4102a.png

When ı was ın this amazing labyrinth, ı got lost and realised ı was rounding circles. It was getting dark and crows were
getting louder. I ran, ran, ran and ı found a building with a fire barrel. It wasn't perfect but ı found some canned foods
like soup and after some warm weather, ı wanted to take a look. Look what ı found.5.thumb.png.28b37456e287ef8e6216b05ef51d0f20.png

I realized a wolf was eating  bunnies when ı take pictures. I freaked out and got back to fire barrel but ı decided to go
 and find that red barn. I couldn't resist and go on take some pictures because this mystic area was like a golden mine for
me. 6.thumb.png.607a2ef4802c267f915357f9c0440d20.png7.thumb.png.56d710efe7bed4345b9766327ecdf038.png

Day 5
Wow. What a night. My eyes and my whole body witnessed an aurora borealis this night. I am a journalist but ı can't tell 
how brilliant this was. Although ı never seen any alive persone in this time, ı felt Great Bear Island is alive. Don't ask
me how cause ı don't know. After that amazing night and sunrise, ı found my red barn.
9.thumb.png.4700bf4a53af83304088452585aa3668.png

Day 7
Now ı know ı am in Pleasant Valley. I found a map, a little documents and a tale book about the ısland in the barn and ı 
decided to go Coastal Highway. There was a gas station named Quonset and the note ı found ın barn says locals were gone to
Quonset Gas Station after the 'First Flare' and  they were gathering around to going to Suzuki Station for more sources and
facility of communication. But first, ı used the mine road for reaching the coastal region so ı need a  lantern for mine.
8.thumb.png.fda1f5a1e100694ede2c1484be2ed975.png

Day 12
I got to the Gas Station. Unfortunately, there was no one except a dead guy near the station. I found and old laptop and ı
don't think ıt works but somehow ı was waiting for it. There was no map or note or letter how ı got this Suzuki Station and
my camera is about to die. 

Day 23
I was just letting go but that night, suddenly all lights are open and old laptop is working. There was an open mail screen
but ı was able to log in and send and e mail to my friends. Hope they got it. I go outside with my camera for watching 
beautiful aurora but ın the door, ı freezed. There was a bear! With some shiny fur on it. I take a picture, click, and he
saw me, run towards to me and ı go in station. After that, lights were gone and ı waited and waited in the dark. I really
don't know what ı do. Hope ı tell you this personally but if ı couldn't do, journal and photos will do that for me.
10.thumb.png.46af125e20cbe70cb82d76ba1cd1367b.png

First of all, sorry about my language mistakes. I hope you like it. I know ıt wasn't perfect like @piddy3825 's amazing stories and screenshots but ı wanted to try.😬

• Upvote 2
  • Like 7

I always dreamed of somehow sharing one day this awesome situation that happened to me while challenging myself at the “Archivist Challenge” (already 2 years ago), so it's unbelievably exciting for me to finally being able do it, and I thank personally all the Hinterland team for organizing this little event, for giving me the space to share this, and of course, for creating such an amazing game and challenges in it and caring so much for the community <3.

Aaaaanyways… now, without any other hesitation, here comes my story:

After traveling miles and miles searching for the buffer memories I was looking for, fighting against the wilderness of our Great Bear Island, approximately at the middle of my journey, I ended up entering the region of Timberwolf Mountain. Fortunately at that time, I didn't have any near death experiences nor important equipment losses, except for some wolf encounters, but nothing like what I was going to experience once I dived deep into Timberwolf's most dangerous first part.

After heading north in Pleasant Valley to the connector with Timberwolf Mountain, I continued up following the trail, heading right and peacefully to my nearest and next destination, Crystal Lake.

Everything was going so peacefully, almost unreal. Perfect weather, any wildlife around, nothing, just me and the beautiful quiet white scenery.

After some minutes, I started to cross down the Landing Gear zone. It was still too peaceful around, so I started to freak out a bit, and began to move very slowly and carefully, trying not to make any false move in case there was some hidden threat around, waiting for the perfect moment to haunt me.

I continued walking down the alley, expectant, when suddenly, in a blink of an eye and fast as thunder, without making any noise and not even seeing it before he charged at me, a giant moose came out of nowhere and ravaged against me, almost ghost-like, submitting me to the ground, leaving me completely helpless against his monstrous force, ending up destroying my ribs, and leaving me stunned, but at the same time shattered.

I was devastated. 

All my plans had just fallen right in front of my eyes, and without even being able to do something about it, and all just because of the quietness of my new worst adversary.

Even if I was still shocked after some minutes, I was forced to come up with the best next move possible, and quickly, because I still had a long journey to go, and I was fully exposed to Mother Nature after the attack.

Luckily, as I had planned since before, I was already very close to Crystal Lake, so I just needed to crash there, find a safe shelter, and just heal and wait some time with all the things I had at my reach, in order to be able to continue as soon as possible.

So, that's exactly what I did.

I settled down at the Mountaineer's Hut, which was right after the lake, and stayed there, making it my new temporary home for the last 5 days.

I managed to hunt some wolf, fish, and find some more food around. I also caught some amazing views during my stay there, so… instead of taking it just as an unfortunate and bad-luck situation, I took it as a great test, as a great example where I proved to myself (even nowadays) that I am capable of surviving any circumstance, no matter what, and still find beauty in it ...

And that's it !! :]

I almost didn't take photos of my stay there, but as I always tend to do, I took some pictures at different times of the day, along the 5 days I stayed there. This time, of one of my favorite but yet spine-chilling views I´ve ever seen in the game.

Morning.jpeg

Sunset.jpeg

Night.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Like 6

Grey Mother's diaries: an excerpt

Summer 1969

"Life on Great Bear island isn’t too bad. At least we aren’t mainlanders! I have a loving husband and we just welcomed our first baby girl! We’re thinking about calling her Lilith, or Lily for short. The farm is getting into shape as well. Not too much fertile land on the island but I think we can make it work. Martin is a hard worker and the neighbors are helpful.

I’m a bit worried for my mother in Milton though, she is getting old but refuses to leave her house and move in with us. She is a tough lady but she will be struggling more now that dad has passed away."

Summer 1979

"Today we followed Lily to her favorite climbing spot. I’m always nervous but Martin is teaching her how to do it safely so I guess I shouldn’t be too concerned. It is a pretty nice spot for a picnic though so I try to just enjoy the spectacular vistas of Great Bear or bring a book so that I can focus on something else."

Winter 1980

170854251_fields1polaroid.png.4d8275bf66a439139b43fdf52bf31af2.png

"Martin is still worried about next season's crops. We managed to produce just enough last season to get through this winter but I guess we got a bit lucky. He is right to be concerned, but what good will worrying for an entire winter do? I wish he could be more positive and spend more time with Lily instead, she does like to learn from him."

Summer 1980

593816109_thomaspolaroid(1).png.d219db376fdb974072fe7edcbf1e0848.png

"Father Thomas is such a gentle soul. I appreciate having someone of faith to talk to about life’s many challenges and worries. He doesn’t always say what you want to hear, but he always listens. But I guess he has a point. Sometimes you have to change your ways or your mind in order to move forward, even if it’s hard and disappointing sometimes."

Later that summer

"Today Lily had a climbing accident, I was so worried! Martin says she will be ok but I don’t see why she can’t find a different hobby? She does seem really passionate about climbing but what if something worse had happened!?"

Winter 1981

252111231_streampolaroid.png.a39da2b63f720c30ba70ae5744b9c3a1.png

"Life is good. We had a better season this year and Martin is talking about buying irrigation equipment to lower the risks of failing crops if we get another dry season. We do have a river nearby so it seems like a pretty good idea. Lily has been focusing more on school and less on climbing lately which I have to admit puts my mind at ease in more than one way."

Winter 1984

1764823556_miltonhousepolaroid.png.47c1b0145a877993a8070b2d16ea72e1.png1778173017_lilyschestpolaroid.png.97e7e8057b3a13d5e62357c2e0df332d.png

"My dear mother passed away. She stayed in her house in Milton until the end. I suppose that’s the best way to go, at home by your own hearth. She mentioned having worsened sight in her letters at the end, needing help to get both firewood and food. Luckily she has good neighbors, I just wish we could have visited her more often.

Lily did spend a fair bit of time there climbing, she even has her own room with her climbing gear. I’m happy she got to grow up close to her grandmother. She even left the house to Lily in her will, such a nice gesture!"

Summer 1984

"Martin seems hopeful about this year's crops. The weather hasn’t been that great but we have been better prepared. Lily is still doing well in school, but she met a boy that seems to distract her a bit. He seems nice enough though, and she seems happy."

Autumn 1985

"My dear sweet Lily! She was barely 17, her whole life ahead of her! She was so distraught after the breakup, climbing is the last thing she should have been doing in her state of mind! Least of all alone! Why did Martin let her go out by herself, especially this time!? I don’t know what to do, Father Thomas has offered us counseling but no amount of thoughtful words will bring my baby back!"

Later that autumn

"Lily now rests with her grandparents in Milton. Burying her was the most difficult day of my life. Why did Martin have to teach her such a dangerous sport!? Father Thomas says no one is to blame for Lily’s death. It’s so easy for him to say, always preaching about forgiveness and turning the other cheek - he doesn’t know what it feels like to lose a child! He says being angry at Martin won't bring her back. That we have to help each other through the sorrow."

Winter 1986

I don’t care how sorry Martin is, he could have listened to me and persuaded her to do something else! He wouldn’t even let her wear her beautiful necklace on her journey into the long dark, he wanted it locked up in a damn safe!

Summer 1986

"I can’t stay here any more! Martin always says we have to move on, that it’s what Lily would have wanted. But it’s barely been a year!? And I can’t stand everyone talking about “Heartbreak Bridge”! The nerve of some people - they were just kids! I think I have to move to my mother’s old house in Milton. At least I can visit Lily at her grave more often then…"

Edited by upnorth
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 7

The Lighthouse Restoration Project

1.thumb.jpg.9f2cea85395ee9efce59134f283071b4.jpg

It was early in the morning when I sprang from my bed, awakened by the glorious sunrise, the bright light shining into my bedroom window after days of nonstop snow and blizzard conditions.  The sun was slowly rising painting the sky in beautiful shades of red, yellow and orange.   What's that old nautical saying, I thought to myself?  Red sky at night, sailors delight?  Red sky at morning sailor take warning?   Either way it looked like it was gonna be a nice day.  I headed downstairs to stoke the fire, putting some water on the old stove in anticipation of a hot cup of coffee.    

2.thumb.png.09d9b95f6cc6f79d13f6fbf4ac9fd31d.png

I arrived late at the unveiling of the Miner's Memorial due to the fact that I had to evade a few wolves on my long walk from the farmhouse to the community center.   By the time I got there, the ceremony had been completed and most of the towns remaining citizens were in the community hall drinking coffee and tea and talking about the loved ones they had lost during that terrible tragedy.   The cave in of '82.  I lost my grandfather in that "accident."  Turns out it wasn't an accident, but more like sabotage.  Some tree hugging eco-terrorist group took credit for causing the cave-in claiming the lives of 16 miners.  My grandfather being one of them.   The mine was subsequently shut down because of it.   Life on the island was changed for many folks that day.

3.thumb.png.dafb62cfae189fc0d255e51e23e95138.png

I needed supplies, so I decided to go see what I could scavenge up at the old dam.  I took one of the old coal mine tunnels as a short cut ending up in the Winding River basin just behind the dam.   Skirting my way across the precarious ledge high above the river basin, I made my way into the lower dam after climbing thru a broken window.  Seems I wasnt the first person to do so.   After finding some useful items I felt the need to get out there and when I emerged, who do I find sitting outside?  You guessed it.   Methuselah.  The islands oldest living resident.  He fancied himself as the islands historian, he referred to himself as an observer of unfolding events and he had an interesting opportunity just for me!

4.thumb.jpg.7e0a4b392b79e1af7505b6ddcf949489.jpg

I listened in rapt attention to Methuselah's pitch on a golden opportunity.  One that only comes around once in a lifetime.  Intrigued by the story I immediately began to make preperations for the journey by cleaning and loading my precious rifle one round at a time.  Inspecting each for imperfections before loading the cartridges.  No sense in taking any chances with a mis-fire or jammed cartridge, I thought to myself.  I suspected that somewhere during my trip,  I'd have need for the rifles stopping power.  

5.thumb.png.1785abc77ac1456a3819f992668a24fb.png

I took me a few days of travel and fortunately I didn't run into any hazardous situations.  The weather was nice and I was able to transit the ravine very quickly and soon found my way strolling along the Coastal Highway road.   It wasn't long before I shimmied under the big rock blocking the old crumbling highway and soon cautiously made my way thru the old coal mine connector and emerged at Desolation Point.  The old lighthouse was dark and barely visible in the moonless night.  I decided to wait until dawn before going any further.

6.thumb.png.30c850142d819329736a927738ab1760.png

As I crossed the creaking old footbridges, I noticed they were both in need of some repair.  A few planks had almost completely rotted away and the bridges were covered in bird excremant, white splotchets covering most of the handrails and decking.   "Damn Crows!" I thought to myself.  

7.thumb.png.6d201875a3830206c694bd2b2e39597f.png

My eyes grew wide with amazement when I entered the lighthouse.   In one corner an everlantern was glowing casting a nice soft light illuminating all the supplies that had been brought in by rowboats, launched from the new sailing fleet of the newly comissioned Maritime Association.   Sailing vessels were once again plying the seas, now that most electrical devices were still being affected by the event.   I found a note amongst the supplies detailing the Associations plans to bring the old lighthouse back to service using dozens of  the newly fabricated everlanterns.

8.thumb.png.2f9dd99e61724736fa0d17cd366bd61b.png

After having gone thru supplies, organizing the equipment, tools, foodstuffs, fuel and assorted spare parts, I broke down the pallets and crates and using my carpentry skills made myself a proper bed in the upstairs loft.   That old skinny cot just wouldn't do, so I broke it down as well using parts of the frame and bedding to fabricate my new sleeping quarters.

9.thumb.png.05566b41084cfe290d5fbb8fd0c332ab.png

Not trusting the bridges very much, I forayed up to the old stone church and salvaged the planks and other supplies left there when the Archdiocese abandoned their repair project.   It took a few trips carrying the dozens of planks to their new destinations.  Once I had carted over enough boards the work began in earnest.

10.thumb.png.d24f76d73f0f1cd5b362d85e4be981f2.png

The lumber was nicely seasoned and in great shape considering how long it had lain on the floor of the old church.  After a few more trips I finally had  more than enough to effect solid repairs to those troublesome spots on the bridge.   I really wish they would have left a good wood saw, but I was able to muddle thru using the one hacksaw they left behind in one of tool case!  I'm definitely a DIY kinda guy...

11.thumb.png.9de6690dcf013d423471f54161e829e0.png

Over the course of the next week to ten days, I took each of the lanterns apart and reassembled then, taking great care to clean the globes.  Dirty globes meant less light.  All the new wicks that had been developed since the event were superior in every way, more light, less soot and 99.7 percent improvement in fuel consumption whilest burning, it was a lot of work getting the lanterns installed.   Having an average fear of heights, it took a lot of effort rappeling down the sides of lighthouse and attaching the new lanterns along the window ledges.  I suppose the builders of the light house had good reason to put in windows that couldn't be opened but somehow the logic of that escaped me.   Never the less the I think my efforts bore fruit.

12.thumb.png.6ac9e7fd4e887c5e824d3a573b9e02ee.png

Having plent of lanterns remaining, I thought to myself why not?   I cobbled a few more together and festooned the foot bridges with lights as well.   I can only imagine the sight from a bird's eye view, but this is how I pictured it would look from above!

13.thumb.png.a1bbd161bfa9d367b3fac27a8316c1db.png

Restless after weeks of  working on the lighthouse, I decided to take on a project of my own making.   I broke out the reserve supplies of lantern parts and using the remaining wicks and fuel, I made way for the falls.   I took may attempts free climbing then rappeling down to the sides positioning the lanterns.  Often I didn't take the spray into account and a lantern or two were lost in the rushing waters.  Getting wet was equally hazardous as much of the time my boots, gloves and hats were soaked and frozen.   I really underestimated the effort it took, but oh, the results were spectacularly glorious!

15.thumb.png.c7dc78c1f2fde1e65e05a528a7a8c867.png

Now that everything was in place I left the light house intent on exploring the surroundings.  It was getting late, dusk was fading into night so I sought refuge aboard the Riken.  Just as I had fired up the ships old furnace, a strange vibration began shaking thru the hull.  Lights began flickering and it seemed the old whaling boat still had some life in her old bones.   I went topside and was awed at the sight.
My efforts coupled with the effects of the nothern lights brought everything to light and life.  I watched for hours as the light show unfolded.   

15a.thumb.png.41bf9ad831664f2874dfe6eac326c417.png

Satisfied with a job well done, I returned to my new post my new home as the Keeper of the Flames.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 7

"Climber's Journal"

Sept 5th
Arrived at the base of Timberwolf Mountain. Looks like there are some nice cracks, just like Clive said. Going to set up a top rope and do some bouldering until the others show up. Hopefully soon.

Sept 6th
Wondering if my friends got lost as they still haven't arrived. Woke up in the night to a deafening noise, and fire on the mountain. Went to check it out but the weather got nasty and I couldn't find my way.

Sept 7th
Clear day. I went out again. Found some metal cargo crates. They look like they might have come from a plane. There's still smoke coming from the summit. I'm heading out to see if I can make it to the peak and learn more about what's going on.

Clive looked at the piece of paper he was holding in his hand.
- So you went up John, huh? Should've arrived here earlier, why didn't he get some help?! - Clive mumbled to himself. He was nervous, he didn't want to grieve after two of his best friends. Thomas's loss hit Clive really hard.

- I'd better start making my way up. I won't let him go.

TLD1.thumb.png.bfe3bb180dedcddfdf8a8b3e3f3a4f36.png

Clive started making his way up. The path wasn't going to be easy. He already felt the slope getting more harder to conquer with each step. He knew it was going to only get worse.

- How could I lose Thomas? The wolf- I- I was too slow? It was too quick!? Why did he attack us?! - Feeling guilty wouldn't leave Clive's conscience so easily. - It was too quick?! Why? Why did I hesitate? - His mind reminded him of that moment once again. Just like it did before. Way too many times before.

TLD2.thumb.png.4fab4e26c25f3cf035658ec05a3a0307.png

Sept 8th
I had to spend a night in a cave. Just after i left the hut, the weather got worse. A blizzard came. I thought it was over for me. I really don't know how did i find this cave with barely enough firewood to last me trough the night. Thank God! Tomorrow, i'm heading further.

Clive slipped the piece of paper into his backpack. Maybe there was some hope left? Maybe John would survive? These and many different thoughts were swarming Clive's mind. It was a way to redeem himself, to get rid of the heavy feeling of wrongdoing?

TLD3.thumb.png.26e086171a98a06985fd297db37252cc.png

Sept 9th
I made it trough a first rope! Just a few more left! However, just after i finished the climb I saw a bear. A bear during the winter! What was he doing outside of his cave? Was he woken up by the crash? So many questions, so little answers. What is happening to the world? Anyway, I will spend the night in a safe cave. I hope that Clive and Thomas will make their way here soon. I will leave this note for them. If you are reading this, I wish you luck!

- John, you stupid, lucky bastard! You should've gone back! - Clive screamed at the top of his lungs. The feeling of delinquency was back. Why didn't he shoot at the wolf, while it tackled poor Thomas to the ground? 

TLD4.thumb.png.8e17a3cbf0d4e1e77e133db3c6f6dd00.png

- What did happen here! It's John's bedroll! Shit, shit, SHIT! - Clive felt his heart beating harder, blood flowing faster through his veins. - I gotta get there! NOW!

TLD5.thumb.png.811e24d3b5c4fc604650a43bf6229ef2.png

Sep- 8th--  10th
Why--- wolf.------ Screams, summit. Help   People  summit.

Clive held the lifeless bod of his friend in his arms. He was crying silently. 

- Why did you have to leave me..? You and Thomas? Why did we go here in the first place? It's all my fault! - Clive kept mumbling to himself as he held the last journal entry made by his friend. It was soaked in blood, badly written. He had a hard time reading writings of his friend.

However this time he knew what he had to do. He had to help these people in the crashed plane.

TLD6.thumb.png.6771bd5717f98b23609494c69585445c.png

Clive climbed onto the summit. He didn't imagine doing it solo. He thought his friends will be here with him. He saw the tail section of the plane. A man was sitting there, desperately trying to warm himself up. He couldn't move his fingers, legs. His clothes froze to his skin. Clive slowly made his way towards him.

- Hey you! - He screamed - Talk to me! - No response. Clive tried screaming again and again with no success. He started sprinting towards the man. He was this happy to see an another survivor!

Unfortunately, a tree which was hit by a plane did not fall down yet. Just as Clive was running under it, a large branch hit his head. He fell down, his motionless body started slipping towards the mountain's edge.

TLD7.thumb.png.f3410fcf78d2f58100910548c06c60ff.png

Clive woke up a few hours later. The man which he yelled at seemed to try to make his way towards him but the hunger, dehydration and cold finally beat him.
It took Clive a while to notice that his head was bleeding. His entire body was numb. When he weakly raised his hand, he could see that he lost one of his gloves. His left hand's skin was black. He laid his head back onto the snow. Clive felt like he was sitting by a big campfire, slowly warming up.
He gazed up into the sky. It was so pretty. After a while he saw silhouettes of two men carrying climbing gear approach him.

- C'mon Clive, we have different mountains to conquer. - One of them man spoke in Thomas's voice. - I don't blame you for what had happened earlier. Get up an come with us! -

- Just give me a second.. I have to rest. - Clive replied as he dosed off far away, in to the land where he and his best buddies hiked the mountains together once again.

115218038_Zrzutekranu2022-04-7o20_46_27.thumb.png.c50ead9dcaa6e85d61da61608cf39cd0.png

The end.

Edited by Piotross
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 4

Last Days of Carter Kurt (all photos are taken by me)

Day 1:
After a long winter when the spring comes i started to feel the warm wind on my face, life seems so peaceful and hopeful but at the evening of that day while i stand by with my wife and kids i got a call. My grandpa in Great Bear was dead. I was raised by him until i was 12, i can still remember the times we had in Great Bear he showed me how to hunt and being respectful to the nature and wildlife. I cannot repay my debt to him so at least i can pay him a visit one last time and say goodbye. So i went to the Great Bear i left my wife and kids home, i settled on the cabin once he was stayin and takin a look what he had under all those years...

screen_0d6768f6-14e3-4f0e-bc27-76839be79749_hi.thumb.png.79b18694a88ee2de711aa9b85abd01d1.png

Day 2:

After a good look at the cabin i found something that i should not have found. I found a tortured corpse and some files under the plank. I found the plank because it was making a noise when i tried to move the corpse i guess the guy was trying to protect the files one last time by dying on the plank and hoping that they would not take a look under him. The files was about the notes of every person on the Great Bear, those people were sent here by the powerfull rich people to manage Great Bear for making a profit out of locals. Locals were forced to work on dirty works and cannot have a life their  own. It was all being managed from the Dam i have never seen such a slavery i was shocked.screen_73f745ce-ef28-4b19-aa47-0926d0b9cb77_hi.thumb.png.6d9b80074d9fafb4562756395baf0ceb.png 

Day 3:

I knew that i MUST tell everyone what is happening here but i also must be careful because these are dangerous people and from the files i see that they leave no one behind to be a witness. Thank god my grandpa was a man of "being preapered", i gather up all the stocks and tools he had and get on my way to get out of here ! I cannot carry everything and everything outside will try to kill me bears, wolves, humans even the mother nature so i should only take what is necessary...screen_fdf9a32d-d6c6-4786-b77b-740344d4a865_hi.thumb.png.776aa07d4c0cc1f6708594867d1a01f6.png

Day 4:

I traveled into the town and seek others to help me but everyone was too afraid i showed them the files so they can make the world believe what is happening here but still they were terrified. At least they warned me that they were coming to hunt me so i leave the town immediately. I could not visit here again they will be everywhere i must go into the mountains. I use the smog to travel mountains hoping that i found a way out but there is only one in and out of the Great Bear and they are probably guarding it so i should find a strategy, THERE MUST BE A WAY !

screen_24be4322-3b10-4c27-bc73-af8836dc60a2_hi.thumb.png.ff5c587abe2dbfaa197a99ecd4e47d36.png

Day 5:

I know my grandpa teach me how to be not afraid and survive but its been so long... I am use to be comfortable. One thing is for sure i must find a shelter, i walked for hours just so that i can save the daylight and God answered my prayers i found a cave. The thing is i wasnt the only one staying there, my adreline pumped extremely  when i heard that growling. When i shoot at the air he went away thanks god. But this is not working i must find the cabin that used to belong to my grandpas old friend Mr.Henry he was a lumberjack and he visited my grandpa many times while i were with him.screen_8a737f1d-3bbe-4478-a8e1-4bb7a5e0ec7d_hi.thumb.png.6ca44225e8019180c51ed261bd6276dc.png

Day 6:

If it isnt enough there is a bear nearby and he is tracking me for DAYS, i dont how will i get rid of him but there should be some bear traps at the Mr.Henry's cabin  there is no doubt i must get there. Sometimes when i walk i stop and try to listen, one time i heard a huge stomp and i run away try to make a campfire hoping that he would scare and i hold my breath and HE WALKED RIGHT BY ME. God i dont know how can i keep this going.screen_9c696033-54c4-4f2a-90bf-5a264fd3e6eb_hi.thumb.png.8c99875e79ebf2615055601be039ba97.png

Day 7:

I FOUND THE CABIN, i was so lucky to find here i was starting to lose hope but here it is ! I will stay here until they lower their search for me then maybe i can get some supplies too because i cannot survive here without supplies but i will stay them until i cant.screen_9c64c358-50aa-433e-8aaa-bbed3f700729_hi.thumb.png.08135d6f33fd59107a5395e086a7726b.png

Day 8:

I should use my time in here wisely because i cannot survive here without improving my skills. Mr.Henry used to love books he was showing me them time to time so this time i will use them to survive. I MUST LEARN I MUST STUDY ITS THE KEY !screen_27daf778-ad47-4cdc-a0c6-c17ee722e636_hi.thumb.png.fe9b749bfb6dcd3f021e083dd5f2d5f0.png

Day 24:

I think it is time to go back to town and check what is going on also i still need supplies i cant keep going like this anymore im consuming all the resources from the envrionment of the cabin. Also that bear is still wandering around i saw him sometime from a distance.screen_4a59cffc-fb63-47b7-a8b9-f3e219ef3302_hi.thumb.png.670ede4f3b809e9b07cd060d484108cb.png

Day 32:

They...they killed them. Everyone i talked to is dead and they are still guarding to pathway out of Great Bear. It all happened because of me...screen_ab78f0d0-ef4d-47b7-b01b-5f39b19a7ef4_hi.thumb.png.51d904b64f75806c47d9cc4cb1641bb0.png

Day .....:

I dont even know why im keep writing maybe because it keeps me sane ? those people... they all had children i dont even know what are they doing now.screen_a484eb0e-c147-4e0e-818f-9b9a434e3ccc_hi.thumb.png.eebded5cce5b5f2234f2c8afc4687ba5.png

Day 140:

There is only one way. I have to wait for the winter and when the storm comes in they have no choice to stand down and then i will make my move to get pass. Only thing i have to do is...survive.screen_bf1fe546-80a6-4582-9b5a-324cc548fda9_hi.thumb.png.4d6349f17007e2c7c4d86f7aec020f57.png

Day IT IS TIME:

The weather is extremely cold but i have to make my move. I should wait for the night right now i am preapered as i can be... The night has come and i was RIGHT they are not even here because it is freezing and nothing can be seen. I get pass the pathway but i started to feel warm. That is not good. My body cannot resist the warm embrace of death mother nature is not letting me. I dont know what to do grandpa help me... My family how will they know...These people of this town will suffer everyone will suffer no please... It is so warm maybe i cant rest here and keep going. NO what am i thinking my hand... i think in the end The Long Dark will be waiting for everyone... i cantrk writerewwq, itse soo coasldd freezifbfff.....................screen_cd8ac4a4-2cf1-4582-829e-33b14dea607a_hi.thumb.png.ddc813f22948129527a8248b49913991.png

NOTES BY THE WRITER:

-i hope you guys like it i tried my best what can i say i really want that mug :)

-Thanks to Hinterland for such an amazing experience you people are great we cant thank you enough please keep developing and improving the game

-here i place the last picture of Carter's grandpa's cabin as he rest in peace in THE LONG DARK. screen_81a3dc2c-5549-40e1-8abe-db42075ed7e3_hi.thumb.png.461c9195febad7b56870a0c7af6b3b8a.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

A Final Wish

I forgot just how much waiting there is in outdoor survival. Twice per year since I was fourteen, my grandpa used to take me out to Comet Ridge where he would teach me survival skills. Once in the spring and again in the autumn. How to craft tools. How to use and maintain those tools. How to navigate by both the Sun and the stars. How to look for water. How to forage. How to hunt. And, most importantly, how to wait. Wait for the water to boil. Wait for the food to cook. Wait for the traps to work. Wait for embers to get hot. Wait for the line to go taut. He used to say that patience is the outdoorsman's greatest asset. I can still remember exactly what he would say.

"Father Time is always going to win that Great Marathon against us. If we dash ahead too quickly, then we get exhausted too quickly, and he catches us faster. So instead, we should match his pace but just always stay a few steps ahead of him."

I'll admit that I never quite understood what that was supposed to mean. Maybe I wasn't supposed to. Maybe he was better at building fires than public speaking, and man could that guy build fires! If ever there were a test of patience, then fire-starting is one of the big ones. After a whole lot of aggravation, I learned how to start fires from him, too. It was the last skill I learned from him because being patient was never something that caught on with me. And then when Father Time finally overtook my grandpa in the Great Marathon, I promised that I would still make that trip twice a year. While he could still talk, he told me that he wanted me to take a small portion of his ashes with me and spread them at a few spots on Comet Ridge during my next visit.

And here I am. After twenty-two trips with Grandpa, this is my first time visiting Comet Ridge alone, and it's my first time here in wintertime. We'll see if that was the right choice. I made sure to wear nothing but wool, so it should be fine. A small capsule of grandpa's ashes is secured in my pack along with basic tools, bedroll, an empty bottle, some calorie-dense food packets, a camera and a journal. As soon as I left the welcome center at sunrise, I couldn't resist the urge to snap a picture of the frozen wilderness awaiting me. it looks so much different when you can't see the paths and the grass.

screen_3deb80fd-c682-4457-be59-55232ab40f5e_hi.thumb.png.77ddab6bc159e00af96ff6f09c8d4975.png

My first stop would be that small lake where Grandpa showed me the basics of fishing- Moonfall Lake. The snow on the ground was quite deep at times. Even though I knew exactly where the paths were, the snow made walking extremely difficult! Plus, I forgot that there is less daylight to work with during winter. The hike was peaceful and pleasant enough, but it consumed the whole day. I didn't reach Moonfall Lake until a few minutes before sunset. Thankfully, everything was as we left it the last time we were here back in spring- almost a year ago, now. Comet Ridge allows everyone to utilize all structures at their leisure as long as they don't damage property. The stone cabin was still in one piece with its two simple beds, a desk and a fireplace. The creaky dock was still standing, but there were no boats. Instead, I saw an ice fishing hut in the middle of the lake for the first time ever. That was a cool surprise. It has been so cold outside for the passed few days that the ice probably could have supported my weight, but my cowardice of testing out that theory overpowered my curiosity of looking inside the fishing hut. I eventually got a fire going (I never swore once, Grandpa!) and sprinkled a little bit of the ashes on the creaky dock. The grey dust quickly faded to nothing as a chilly breeze whisked by. 

screen_4415fcff-f2a6-45cd-8766-1302f25a6657_hi.thumb.png.f4f3681e8fa38e5796d04a22cddff7bb.png

screen_2139fc40-ac8b-484a-a3b7-640d0e10ded4_hi.thumb.png.46cc4315c17d7cf743bcfeb733fc7760.png

The next day at around midday, I decided to hike up the steep hill that Grandpa called Stargazers' Peek (instead of Stargazers' Peak). That was where he showed me the northern constellations and how to star hop in order to find that all-important Northern Star. The walk itself was surprisingly easy. I found a long and sturdy branch to use as a walking staff. Plus, the snow was so thick and wet that it supported me as I climbed instead of causing me to slip like I was expecting. I thought back to how Grandpa would tell me to take 'sideways steps' on inclines this steep. "Your ankles can only bend so much. Instead, you should walk forward by walking sideways when an upslope is this steep. Watch me." I remember looking down at his boots. He looked so goofy with his feet pointed one way and his shoulders pointed another, but he never slipped on the dirt or grass. He never stumbled over rocks or roots. That guy could probably sideways step up Mt. Everest. "Step by step. Rushing is no good, here." It was a slow process, and I hated how long it took us to get up there, but we made it. When I got to the top, I made a beeline for a wind-proof shelter that he and I discovered two or three years ago. I started a fire with only minimal cursing and waited for the stars to come out. Instead, what I got was a mesmerzing and fixating show of the Northern Lights! I could barely hold the camera still as I took a few pictures of the stunning display before I ran out of the shelter.

"That has to be you!" I shouted to the sky. "There's no way this isn't you!" I pointed to the flowing green ribbons with one hand sprinkled another portion of the ashes with the other. "Hi, Grandpa!!" They swiftly merged with the viridescent darkness. I couldn't determine if I was happy, sad or angry as my eyesight got wet and blurry. I was too far away from my campfire to blame it on the smoke. I silently ate my food and used my empty bottle to melt snow and boil the water- no pot necessary. That guy probably still had so much more to teach... 

screen_7a50a6dd-ab52-484a-bc58-fab63a2d3d0e_hi.thumb.png.8668868f2dae7199feb579eaf4162da6.png

screen_80b83d89-8e40-4db5-9aaa-cadee74da9c6_hi.thumb.png.92fd094252d15c1aff1c2b4daff1570b.png

The next morning, the final day, I noticed that I had enough ashes for one more spot. It would only be fitting to go to the place we always went on the last day of our trips. It doesn't have a name. Comet Ridge never gave it one. Neither did Grandpa. Neither will I. All I know is that it provides a grand view of a wide swath of land below. There is a single railroad carved through it and just one building- probably a post office or something- next to a lake. A delicate interaction of Mankind and Nature. At first, I hated going there because the walk was always so long, and the view at the end didn't seem worth it. Why travel so far and so long for some mountains and trees? A youngster couldn't really appreciate that. As I grew older, I understood. The walking, the waiting, the whole time spent there was the important part-- not only the stops along the way. Sure, I still resented every step in the snow that went past my knees, but this was important. It's easy to get distracted by the goals and lose sight of the routes. Without routes taken, there are no goals reached. All it takes is a little patience.

And patience isn’t about just waiting. It’s about persevering. Is that what you meant, Grandpa? 

screen_a162363e-fbb0-4675-a3cf-d12ce123ab5f_hi.thumb.png.c9129a82a0b7f8180dbd46392735baaf.png

His ashes glittered in the sunlight while the breeze took him on his final adventure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 9

2044045765_Screenshot(229).thumb.png.955a1204384119a0c9d7d1e3a8bd027e.png

The fog came quick. Soaking into the bones as it washed in off the frigid arctic seas. Within minutes it had enveloped the small fishing post, shrouding the sagging cabins as it rolled in off the sea ice. 

For Goodluck it was time to go. 

He'd gathered as much as he could, tried fishing at the ice hole for as long as he could have kept the hole going- just like how his aunt had taught him. But there was nothing he could do no. The boat wasn't coming back. If he was to get back to the mainland it would be by land. 

The lad stashed the lure into the pockets of his old overcoat and started off, even as the fog swirled about him like the tendrils of a jellyfish. Fog wasn't good. But he had to leave now: fuel was nearly spent and there was only so much food that could sustain him here. If he could find his way out of the island, across to the mainland... maybe there was a chance with his mother and Aunt Dove. They had food, and his uncles to protect him. If only he could just get there,.
He couldn't wait for fog to pass.

The first ones had once called it many things. The Crazed Hunter. The Madness. The eater of spirits. But it didn't care for them.

Why was it here? It didn't know. It didn't care. 

The world was different. The same, but different. The smells were new, strange hard things now covered parts of the ground and rose into the sky. Things were missing. The great elks, the horses. The tusked ones. 

But there was new prey, and it was hungry. 

The first peoples had once called it many things. The Crazed Hunter. The Madness. The eater of spirits.

The Bear of the Caves. The Bear with the Short Face.

1051128799_Screenshot(234).thumb.png.7d4750506ee868924b4fe9b887f3b40e.png

Goodluck held his fingers under his armpits and swore, as his aunt wasn't there to swat his ears. He trudged up the slope, the snow compacting under his old boots. At least he had those. He'd come across a body once, wearing running trainers. In this weather? No wonder the man had been frozen stuff. The young man tried to tuck his nose into his collar as he walked, passing between the shadow of the great black rocks. His pack weighed heavily on him, the food cans clanking, the container of fuel sloshing. There was a new sound. 

He paused and saw birds circling ahead. That was never good. It usually meant bodies. Bodies could mean meat, in the cases of the deer or rabbits. Or it could mean wolves. Crunching on hard blue fingers, ripping into frozen anoraks and sweaters. He reckoned he should steer clear of that.

How much further? He wasn't sure, but he wanted to put as much distance down as he could before he either found a house to shelter him, or the old made him stop and start a fire. As much distance as possible in as little time.

When he heard the roar, his flesh prickled and his heart leapt.

The wolves had been easily chased away. No bear was like this. It crunched on the frozen body, its jaws easily clamping around entire limbs as its grey-black frame rippled in the foggy air. With it's gut filled it had loped away, gouging a path in the snow where it passed. 

It had come across the small one as it did so. In a valley, it had spied him, walking with his head tucked. The thing on two legs. It looked like the ones It had known, the ones with the hot fire and sharp spears. But this one didn't wear the clothes of it's people, but strange looking things, like the frozen bodies. The two-leg was down the slope. It was up in the trees to the side.

It had roared, bearing jaws and jumbled, ancient teeth. The figure had frozen, before it suddenly broke into a sprint, running like a deer, like a horse.

The bear roared again and started to lope on after. It had the time. It had the strength. It had the armour against the cold.

874455146_Screenshot(222).thumb.png.f48919c80ffd4892ec8f0a2f5d07f759.png

A bear! If it hadn't been the biggest bear he'd ever seen! Goodluck had ran and ran, his legs screaming with the anaerobic respiration, lungs heaving. It had to be huge. Broad of thighs, with a heavy thick head. Dark fur and like a great big shadow charging through the snow.

He lay by the fire he'd started, his stomach growling with ferocious hunger, and looked into the darkness. The bright red light only reached so far. Shadows filled in between the tall boughs. Shadows like the bear.

He drew his knees up and shivered. He felt so exposed, silhouetted in the light of the fire. But fire protected him. It had to. Any other animal was afraid of it, so this one had to be as well. That was the only reason he still breathed, he knew, as he listened to the bubbling of the water in an old bean can. 

But what kind of bear was like that? So big! It's mouth snapping like some monster from hell, its eyes dark amid it's immense, short-snouted head.

He remembered hearing something from his mother, or was it one of his uncles? A story about a bear, so big with a face short and a temper even shorter. They had said it had stalked their ancestors here. Coming or going, like a curse that alternated throughout the decades, centuries even, before the traders and the soldiers had arrived.

Goodluck tossed more wood onto the fire. He prayed he had enough. Enough to last him through the night, til he got his strength for another burst to freedom.

They still had the fire. Fire burning so bright, the heat that scalded and ruined flesh. It cursed him as it's huge body moved stealthily between the trees, sending rabbits running at the primeval monster's step.

It didn't know why it was of this world now. But it would do as it always did. Hunt.

1451455005_Screenshot(258).thumb.png.0abb19f27664d5b04c8d1f19358ba629.png

Morning. He had to have lost it by now. He'd been walking through all the early hours of the morning, carrying with him a torch when he had regained his strength.

Now he stood on the edge of the cliff, looking down upon the spread of the icy land. The winter snows had come hard and the farmland beyond was nothing but thigh deep powder, dead branches and empty silos.

There had to be something there, or someone. He shivered, his fingers feeling numb, his nose stinging. The cold was gnawing at him like bearing ripping through the dead trunk of a tree, his stomach gurgling about some fish he'd cooked on the fire and half an energy bar. 

Where was the bear? He'd not seen the shadow in some hours, but he had heard it. It's heavy breath as he waited by the fire, then as he waded through the snow, it's distant roars.

Enough time had been spent staring. He looked down into the woods, for his route to the open plains of Pleasant Valley.

The irony of the name wasn't funny.

An empty night. It's mouth wanted more meat. It wasn't like the bears here. The soft, weak ones that fled at danger and only scavenged or attacked the wounded or isolated. It was a predator, a true predator of an old time. 

It watched the two leg descend, its claws digging into the snow, huffing air through it's immense nose, warming it to protect it's lungs. It started to follow, making quick progress lumbering down the winding snowy slopes, between the tall trees. It's shaggy pelt showed the scars of the tusks, of the tigers, of the men. 

The two-footed one wouldn't escape it. It would find it. But the smell... the smell was fading. No.... the scent that it now relied on now the two leg was out of sight, it was going. Something else was in it's place. A nasty, foul stench. One that no natural thing should create. The bear recoiled and plunged on ahead.

The fog was clearing but it couldn't smell, still, the stench was filling it's powerful nose and rendering it blind. The bear snarled out, roaring in anger and swiped at the snow, but there was little it could do. It carried on further.

The little one wouldn't escape him now. It wouldn't let this stop him.

622123043_Screenshot(225).thumb.png.9992ae9e107a52d6aa3bfe88dbadfb13.png

Goodluck's breath had caught in his throat. He was shivering now, be it from cold or fear. Maybe it was the bear that was moving through the trees at the bottom of the hill, snarling and swiping. Maybe it was the stinking gasoline that soaked into his jacket and was freezing to his hair.

It was so close. He could see it's vastness, the features unlike any normal bear. It's anger and fury as it sniffed the air and found nothing to lead it to it's prey. 

He'd remembered what his father had said about bears. How they smelled. 

It might be the bear his mother had talked about, the Crazed One, the Eater of Spirits. But it was still a bear. He'd had a container in his pack- gasoline he'd siphoned from a car when it had no longer worked. It had been meant to be used to start lamps or fires. But now it liberally soaked into his clothes, making his eyes water with it's horrible stench. More of it was sprayed around the area, throwing off his smell with the stink of petrochemicals. 

He watched it some more. It turned about, snapping at the ear. It was angry that was for sure. They didn't call it the Crazed one for nothing.

Slowly, carefully he started to crawl away, his breath held in terrifying suspense as he made towards more cover, frozen bushes to hide his progress.

In his mind he thanked his parents over and over. And hoped he'd see them again.

The wretch! The little weasel was gone.

The bear had searched for what must have been hours, though it had no concept of such time. Time was a human thing. It's hunger and rage was the primeval force the motivated it and governed it's strange life.

It gritted its teeth and ran it's tongue over it's scarred lips before striking at out at a tree with one immense paw. Shredded bark and wood flew. No. It wouldn't let the morsel get away from it this time. It's brutal head cocked and it scanned out, from the hills, across the flat ground, now clear of the fog. There. A tiny figure. It could see it moving across the snow.

There.

It had chased down ancient giants. It had killed plenty before. This one wasn't going to humiliate it.

46s789qldi751.thumb.png.c0d459e3f59350aaf232af161d78d7e2.png

He had seen it coming. 

Loping with it's hellish, up-down gait. Massive thighs pumping and paws digging into the earth. Goodluck had taken the only chance possible. He'd ran.

There were buildings up ahead. Far ahead. It was a town that he knew little of, a dingy podunk called Thompson's crossing.

It was behind him. Had been so for a while, but he had run. Shedding his overcoat for speed. He let items fall from his pack and not picked them up to lessen his weight. His toes throbbed and the soles of his feet ached from the constant pounding run, his numb body parts were lost and forgotten in his sprint. 

Above the skies were turning to an swash of purple, the colours blending like thick oil paint. Not that he could appreciate it. He was lost to his desperate run, legs gunning up and down even as they screamed in pain. His toes felt like they bled as he hit the road.

It was behind him still, closer now, baring down with brutal, uncaring speed. Jaws gaping.

He ran faster and faster. 

It watched the two-legged one get closer and closer. Its mouth watered and it's black soul cackled with the desire for revenge, It thought it could have escaped the bear. But it couldn't hide forever

Each of it's powerful strides took it closer, claws scraping the froze asphalt. The two legged one was at a breakneck pace, even shedding a shoe to continuing running in it's bloody sock.

The bear didn''t care. It watched as the young man ran to a house, empty and cold and beat it at the door with his brown hands, screaming and yelling for help. It's cries were ignored by the silent facade, and the door remained locked. Not that there was anyone inside to open.

It was close now. Close enough to see the fear and panic on the two-legged one's face. It braced itself as it bore down, the prey running to another door, crying and sobbing, throwing itself against the wood.

Ancient jaws opening wide, facial muscles moving bone.

Goodluck collapsed against the door and turned to see the great dark shape rise.

He'd tried. He'd given it his best. 

In a scene that had been played out for ages past, the great bear reared up, its hairy chest bared and its eyes glinting in the light of the dying day. Hof puffs of steam emerged from it's nose and the great, slavering mouth that dropped open to expose the yellowed teeth.

It gave a low, triumphant roar.

Little morsels always tried their best to escape. 

But it was too old to be tricked. Too strong to be outrun. 

And though they were both alone, it was the only lone hunter. 

He took in a rasping breath, his lungs searing from the effort that had gotten him to this doorstep. Tears ran from his bloodshot eyes as he wheezed from a dry mouth.

It had been a good shot. He just wished he'd tried a little harder. Then he could have maybe gone back home. Then his mother wouldn't be stuck waiting for him to come in from the cold.

But it had come to an end. He was spent.

The bear seemed to be at the end of a tunnel, framed against the purple and pink of the sky. Reared up, like the demonic thing of stories past, he watched as the world went red, painfully searing red.

It was all too much for him to register the screech of the projectile flare, the pained scream of the beast and the hands dragging him suddenly through the temporarily opened door.

By the time he was inside, he'd passed into exhausted unconsciousness

Burns. The stink of burns. It's jaw smarted. The flesh bubbled and raw. The fur burned away.

They hid in their little huts. Of wood and something hard and cold. His claws had torn great chunks out of the oak but it had held. It had tried the sides but they were stronger than the simple tents of hide and bone it was used to.

The bear roared to the sky and it realised it was cheated. 

But it was old. Older than any bear. Older than any thing on this island. It would go back to where it hid. Back to wait.

It had the island to rule. And all the time it needed. The next ones would come along. This little rat could slip away. It just needed to wait, out there in the freezing white.

1572378403_Screenshot(235).thumb.png.88647a28e553abcbea0d3657a46338de.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 4

Report by Parks Canada Agency: Survey of Hushed River Valley, Great Bear Island, Canada.
Evaluation of fauna and flora for consideration as national park (part 2)

After last summer's evaluation which showed some indication of protected fauna residing in the area, it’s been decided to do an additional evaluation during the winter to confirm that said fauna is present in the area all year round and that the observation was not a fluke.

morning.thumb.png.93f3164a87f51e6fec148385a345ff5b.png

Access was a bit easier during the summer months, this time we had to airdrop with a helicopter. A preceding aerial survey spotted a part of the area with active wildlife and was determined suitable for further field studies. I was transported to the area at dusk in order to be able to conduct the field studies with good daylight as minimal equipment can be carried due to the challenging terrain. Pickup scheduled in the evening a few clicks away.

1119410010_waterfar.thumb.png.77fd8d90ae571fa56465d3b937441479.png

One of the great perks working for the parks agency is to visit locations like this! After traversing through the initial drop zone through some cliff faces I was immediately greeted by a more open area featuring a tall waterfall. The sound seemed somewhat dampened by the snowy surroundings, but it suited the early and otherwise quiet hours of a new day. Barely having any safety equipment I began carefully traversing the cliffs to get further down the valley.

466578202_waterhalfway.thumb.png.a09d8cb672c126e11ffddf132bc2c7d1.png

After coming closer to the waterfall and frozen pond, the first find of the survey appeared - rabbits playing on the ice. I don’t suppose they are visible in the picture, I’ll have to get a closer look to determine their numbers and species.

rabbit.thumb.png.0233db37a957c290a5b19624c5e32c78.png

Getting close enough without scaring them off, I managed to hit one of them with my tranquilizer gun at fairly close range. It jumped a round a little before settling down, its friends scurried off though as they realized something was out of the ordinary. As usual I picked it up, removed the dart, and held it carefully for up-close inspection. A nice specimen, but nothing unusual. One of the most common types of rabbits in this area. Seems healthy.

cattails.thumb.png.5ebe0df920126131ef7d39b7bd9ca357.png

I chuckled a bit at my next “find”. Perhaps the least endangered flora of the Canadian wilds - cattails. But as per surveyor tradition I grabbed a few just to snack on before continuing. They do make for a great fire starter in case of an emergency and I can’t be too careful. Don’t taste too bad either, good for re-hydration as well. Almost like cucumber in a sense? An analysis for another time. Let's see if we can't confirm some of the summer’s findings.

893213978_ravegeddeer.thumb.png.a03d846403a6a839443e29fc56aaa275.png

As I continued down the frozen stream, the landscape opened up even more and the next find appeared! A ravaged deer. Seemingly nothing special though. There are multiple species hunting deer but this was most likely wolves. No tracks of note but the carcass did seem to have been there for a while so any footprints would have snowed over by now.

1980541657_deersabove.thumb.png.b2efd5afc0253e8f1e986f9e7a514bf6.png

Looking over the edge of the cliff, I did see a few more deers below. All seemingly roaming about normally so no sign of illness or fear for that matter. I should be safe traversing further down. Although the terrain is starting to look really steep! Perhaps locations like this warrant some climbing gear, although heavy. But better tired than injured.

rosehips.thumb.png.cf47275058ab2e392e1fe0343fe6e741.png

772311684_oldmansbeard.thumb.png.da4f0f43b00e5a3be47f08b10adbeaa8.png

607382126_reshianddeer.thumb.png.30c9d36f5772b03a972f12caf80c0b4c.png

I managed to traverse further down the frozen stream and was greeted by a few new finds: rose hips, the commonly known old man’s beard, and reishi mushrooms. All of them are very useful as various remedies, but also fairly plentiful. I’m starting to doubt that I will find anything to corroborate the summer’s findings, but besides that it surely is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited! If not so inaccessible it would be a nice site for camping in the summer actually.

crows.thumb.png.c3f1faf03bb098b420501e81cc2acd84.png

I have noticed some birds as well. Looks and sounds like crows, have not been able to spot one up close but you trust your instincts in these matters after a few years in the trade. Seemingly circling the carcasses.

1082863963_ravageddeer.thumb.png.05880bd2d4865bd84d95c9c2f785adba.png

Continuing the survey, I found yet another deer carcass and some more rose hips. Still nothing out of the ordinary besides an active wildlife. But I might have to start looking more carefully at tracks in case there are active predators. They usually do avoid human contact but two deers killed so close by does suggest a more dense population. It would actually have been good to spot them, at least at a distance. With no visible signs to go on it’s hard to assess the predator in question.

600818145_2dnwaterfall.thumb.png.6856be536f94994501f12c909c405164.png

The beautiful landscape continues along with the survey. There are of course trees and some grass as well, but again nothing out of the ordinary. My recommendation will have to be to not pursue a protected status for Hushed River Valley. Although we should make note of a high predatory presence that might affect residents of Great Bear Island.

Edited by upnorth
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 2

Title - Nature's Outcry

As I start to drift to sleep I continue to think of what once was the beautiful island of Great Bear torn apart by years of economic and environmental instability. As current lightkeeper of Desolation Point's "Lonely Lighthouse" it's my job to keep the light working as well as can be. That being said, these last few weeks have been completely out of the ordinary. The weather continues to get worse by the day, the wildlife is acting unusual, and the lights... The Aurora has caused a complete power outage... but with unusual side effects. 1.thumb.png.f55d05dfb99523b7fcdd55c758e8f070.png

2.thumb.png.868a6da90f2ec65ec24a7124af926687.png

As the days continue to get shorter the suns warmth starts to fade each day. But being able to see it rise everyday fills me with hope. Thankfully I still have a few weeks of canned food that I can ration to spread out longer if needed be. 3.thumb.png.3779ddde9556e935a0c26a0ac98d20ce.png

Having the Hibernia Processing whaling station right up the road has been a saving grace of my time here, especially after the power went out. I've been able to scavenge boxes and collect bits and pieces of what was left after the lights went out, making the place impossible to get work done.5.thumb.png.f517c97405e339eb908904d81ba39994.png

Whenever possible, I enjoy to walk across the bridge right next to the lighthouse to get my head on straight. Even as a lightkeeper I need to step away for a little bit to regain focus. 

6.thumb.png.0cff2168247fadbacb762dfe895f8f12.png

With the bridge collapsing about a month ago, it's impossible to traverse the way I came in. Thankfully the workers from Hibernia Processing were able to make it across well before it collapsed. 7.thumb.png.20a3ad74d7aa8ebed256aa9b94633039.png

Thankfully, I'm doing okay with supplies still. With some wildlife being able to cross the thin ice along the coast every now and again I'll get a couple of fresh meals which helps me greatly with my supplies. 

8.thumb.png.281d47fc4f4dcd7a862dd63a671788da.png

I'm able to take my game to The Riken, a old whaling ship that wrecked about 4 years ago. Even with the coastguard setting in to assess the damage done they had not removed it. Thankfully the ship holds a Forge which acts as a heating source, a place to smelt down scrapped metal from Hibernia Processing so I can remake arrow heads for my bow, and a excellent storage hold for my game so the smell doesn't attract predators. 

10.thumb.png.46dacd13449507b49b40764fb7d24d60.png9.thumb.png.bfb3355dbff6afd01fca8f8f7bf15839.png

The old Stone Church gives a great view of the lighthouse. I always enjoyed seeing locals from Coastal Highway come here on Sundays for service. With being one of the three churches in all of Great Bear despite how large of a region it is, it's great to see that this remote corner of our island gets visitors. That being said, this unfortunate soul faded in the night about three days ago. Their lantern still burnt bright throughout the blizzard the following day. I buried them next to the graves outside. I checked for any form of identification but only found a picture of them and their daughter in the pocket. It seems like they tempted to take their life but decided to let nature decide their fate for them. Unfortunate, if only they were a day sooner I would've been able to save them. 11.thumb.png.c2c6660586064d4fdaf8cd7866ee0df7.png13.thumb.png.6191432a9bb400d6cfba7a8b8e3b4388.png14.thumb.png.7b569c34a30a78e6f61a4930f010655e.png

During the Aurora, the power briefly turns on for a reason I cannot explain. The lighthouse powers on and I'm able to see any and all damage that needs to be attended to for the next time the light turns on. The Aurora continues to be my favorite thing to watch during the unbearably cold but clear nights at Desolation Point.

15.thumb.jpg.9afa13e49b19a19a1344fdf2851e1f80.jpg

But, all things must come to an end in the cycle of life. I'm not sure how much longer I can last at the edge of Great Bear but I hope I can survive long enough to last until Spring. If not, I'll have traverse the mine to Coastal Highway to see if anyone's still there or fix up a boat nearby and hope I can make it to the Mainland. That being said, I'm hopeful I will be able to survive this Quiet Apocalypse. The road ahead is a mystery, but the sun continues to shine on my face and give me hope for the future.

4.png

12.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 5

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unpinned this topic