Steam deck announcement and Linux flickering landscape

stratvox

I read in the steam deck announcement that you folks have done work that will improve rendering in Linux. Does this mean we can finally expect to see the years-old flickering landscape under Linux problem to finally be fixed? I’d love to be able to switch back to running the Linux version of the game instead of the windows version under Linux using the proton compatibility libraries. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 5:57 AM, stratvox said:

I read in the steam deck announcement that you folks have done work that will improve rendering in Linux. Does this mean we can finally expect to see the years-old flickering landscape under Linux problem to finally be fixed? I’d love to be able to switch back to running the Linux version of the game instead of the windows version under Linux using the proton compatibility libraries. 

We're looking into this. Thank you for your patience. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I am happy to be able to report that the z-fighting in the landscape has been fixed in the linux version of the game. Thank you! @jeffpeng you'll be happy to hear this!

Well, to be perfectly honest I don't run a Linux desktop anymore 😂. I've succumbed to the Cupertino overlords as my daily driver, and upstairs has even ordered me one of these new "Big Macs" so I can brag about it on Zoom calls. And with that there come other problems TLD has, but which are much easier to live with. But it's fascinating how TLD runs near 60fps @1440pUW on what is basically an oversized iPhone. I'm bating my breath how it'll look on the aforementioned Big Mac.

Edit: but I'm very much amazed how much the Steam Deck release has done for Linux gaming in so little time.

Edited by jeffpeng

14 hours ago, stratvox said:

I am happy to be able to report that the z-fighting in the landscape has been fixed in the linux version of the game. Thank you! @jeffpeng you'll be happy to hear this!

Happy to hear it. I had another graphics issue with SSAO blobs/artifacts that seemed to be affected by wind, it was most noticeable around the hands when holding a revolver. Did you notice that?

4 hours ago, zfp said:

Happy to hear it. I had another graphics issue with SSAO blobs/artifacts that seemed to be affected by wind, it was most noticeable around the hands when holding a revolver. Did you notice that?

No, not particularly. Well, I've noticed how sometimes wind and particular times of day can make for some interesting effects, but I've mostly noticed it with the grass terrain scatter. I've generally been a bow guy, and it's only lately that I've taken to carrying around the revolver because I've been spending a lot of time in BRM where it's definitely a big plus. I'll see if I can repro... 

I suspect that what's really going on is that the upgrade to a newer version of unity in this update brought in a bunch of engine bug fixes on the linux side. Which is not to minimise it; I can say that having helped out when pushing tools up a major revision in the back end of software that it can be a big big job making those transitions.

Guest jeffpeng
18 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

And with that there come other problems TLD has, but which are much easier to live with.

Aaaand.... those are gone as well. I can now happily report that any person owning one of the new ARM Mac(Book)s can play TLD with actually astonishingly good performance (if you don't overdo it with SSAO and PostFX) and no issues I am aware of. Pretty amazing job @Admin.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:05 AM, stratvox said:

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad this has improved for you, and we appreciate your patience! 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:34 AM, zfp said:

No, not particularly. Well, I've noticed how sometimes wind and particular times of day can make for some interesting effects, but I've mostly noticed it with the grass terrain scatter. I've generally been a bow guy, and it's only lately that I've taken to carrying around the revolver because I've been spending a lot of time in BRM where it's definitely a big plus. I'll see if I can repro...

I'm not seeing that at all here. Running linux native version on an asus g15 (amd ryzen 5800hx + radeon rx6800m). There's a massive improvement overall with the linux version wrt video artifacting/quality with this revision. I don't remember that *particular* problem from before when running either the linux native or windows via proton version, but that may be dependent on a lot of things. For reference, I'm running ubuntu 21.10 with the kisak ppa mesa libraries and the open source radeon DRM kernel drivers.

Edited by stratvox
layout
  • Like 1