Secondary copy of TLD for time capsuling purposes only?

Mistral

This is something I've wanted to exist for a while... I wish there was some sort of option to be able to own two Steam copies of TLD, one for regular up-to-date purposes, and another for time capsule adventures... you know, so that you could play the two without having to revert between them manually. Quickly, and without a chance of some sort of bug affecting the game files, whether going to the old versions or to the newest current one. It would also be another nice way of funding the efforts of Hinterland, you know if there was a legitimate, separate "legacy edition" of TLD in the market. Now, I guess you could theoretically do this already if you had more than one Steam account or such but that sort of seems like a violation of Steam user agreement...

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, ManicManiac said:

You could always get a secondary steam account.

I believe that defeats the whole purpose of Mistral's question. I mean, yeah you can make a second account and share your copy with it, but I think the concept of just having the time capsule available to those who own the game should be something Hinterland considers. Then there's no sharing, no anything else, it's just that you verified you own the game so you can play it in its current form and also play older versions.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

With the DLC up and running, I wish this separate legacy "Time Capsule version" of the game being purchasable really was reality. I would love to switch between the versions on the fly. There are now separate versions of the game being available anyway, why not this too. The Legacy Package for like 5 dollars.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mistral said:

With the DLC up and running, I wish this separate legacy "Time Capsule version" of the game being purchasable really was reality. I would love to switch between the versions on the fly. There are now separate versions of the game being available anyway, why not this too. The Legacy Package for like 5 dollars.

Thank you for the feedback!

To clarify and set expectations in the right place: this is unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons (including build size and other logistical difficulties). Your feedback is great, and it certainly encourages us to continue finding ways to make content more accessible. We will absolutely share future updates on this topic if/when available, and we appreciate your patience and support. Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for clarifications..

I wonder if you could ever release the first ever build (or some other early access version) as stand-alone installation for free? I think many people are curious about the origins of TLD but may find Time Capsule too intidimating (or are unaware of it anyway)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 1:41 AM, Mistral said:

Prior to updating, I made a backup copy of my whole TLD folder.  I haven't tried it yet, but I believe you can run the game by just executing TLD.exe from that backup location to play the prior version.  If this does work, you could:  1) Time capsule to a version of your choice, 2) back that up, 3) then revert the steam version to current.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:53 PM, hozz1235 said:

Prior to updating, I made a backup copy of my whole TLD folder.  I haven't tried it yet, but I believe you can run the game by just executing TLD.exe from that backup location to play the prior version.  If this does work, you could:  1) Time capsule to a version of your choice, 2) back that up, 3) then revert the steam version to current.

Is that really true?

1 hour ago, Pencil said:

Yeah I just tried it and it works! I backed up Perilous Constraint using the time capsule. I can play the current version through Steam and launch the older versions from backup folders.

This is pretty amazing, I'm going to get and backup Early Access Launch and Silent Hunter as soon as possible then.