Hehe I'm a real prepper

@Bearimpaler101

Harvesting wild mushrooms is for very careful people.  It is indeed possible to make fatal mistakes.  If you want to try something foraged that's really good, try stinging nettle soup.  With your parents supervising of course, if you're still a kid.

If I had to describe it, I'd say stinging nettle soup is kind of like a more delicate, better tasting split pea soup.  It's really nice.

Also, it's very difficult to mistake stinging nettle for anything else.  The "sting" is pretty unmistakable 😁

This recipe is similar to the way I make it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/165071/stinging-nettle-soup/

The heads inside look like furballs but the stalk  tastes good but... there impossible to chew there as tough as the old bear witch  I just wanna say the old bear is unfair I was doing the hunted got to the cave to mystery lake and he attacked me without standing up and roaring so I didn't shoot him with my distress pistol because he was supposed to roar (I'm digressing...) But yeah cat tails are edible and flammable but watch out the car tail head of wet burns but doesn't light on fire

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

lol nice setup, but just yesterday i saw a docu of a couple getting lost in the amazones. They had a compass and they went south. To get back to their house they had to go North. So why they go away from their house?

The problem was they read the map upside down :D

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Nothing wrong with being a prepper. We're 3/4 of the way to being self-sustaining homesteaders here. Rural BC. There's black & grizzly bear around (3 different winters we've had one hibernate in a den on our property, about 200 yards from the house) as well as cougar, wolves, moose and elk. Prepping is just everyday life here. Heck, I even carry a shotgun with me when I go to check the mailbox! (it's a very very long driveway lol) I took the pic below earlier today, it's from our front porch.

20221113_reduced.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kranium said:

Nothing wrong with being a prepper. We're 3/4 of the way to being self-sustaining homesteaders here. Rural BC. There's black & grizzly bear around (3 different winters we've had one hibernate in a den on our property, about 200 yards from the house) as well as cougar, wolves, moose and elk. Prepping is just everyday life here. Heck, I even carry a shotgun with me when I go to check the mailbox! (it's a very very long driveway lol) I took the pic below earlier today, it's from our front porch.

20221113_reduced.jpg

That looks beautiful.🙂

16684320124041447445780.thumb.jpg.cad18720980534f5ce003cf86bca5d14.jpg16684320342933529638.thumb.jpg.80cecc8ea9df085917b64a518eb02ec9.jpg

11 hours ago, Kranium said:

20221113_reduced.jpg

That's beautiful!  and there is a lot of snow. sounds like quite the nice place you've got there. this is a picture from my front porch. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets here. We live in Canada as well. It's quite beautiful here!16684318443451615798644.thumb.jpg.c7f495da6c6dc476940dc5c289540714.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

How have I only just now found this thread???!?!!

@Bearimpaler101 it doesn’t matter how much mustard you put on those wild corn dogs… they’re always nasty! 🤣 I’ve been told to harvest cattails while they are still young, stalk is more tender.  

Also, do you have flint and steel and know how to use it? Better than matches or lighter IMO

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, conanjaguar said:

@Bearimpaler101

Nice stash :).

I would also recommend a few cheap, but good quality, BIC lighters (or similar brand), and a few boxes of matches, as well. Barring a hatchet, find a good-quality knife, and maybe a high-powered pellet gun for bopping the occasional rabbit or squirrel.

I've got a big knife in not kidding it's BIG but the leather pouch is my portable whetstone. I don't have a lighter I'll buy some. And I have a box of redbird (strike anywhere) matches some from a 7-11 and from a cannabis store. Why they have matches there is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2022 at 4:41 PM, Semple Fi said:

How have I only just now found this thread???!?!!

@Bearimpaler101 it doesn’t matter how much mustard you put on those wild corn dogs… they’re always nasty! 🤣 I’ve been told to harvest cattails while they are still young, stalk is more tender.  

Also, do you have flint and steel and know how to use it? Better than matches or lighter IMO

Also I have a flint on my rescue whistle and with my knife. But man were (almost) homesteaders out here and I'm happy. Why? My mom's jams they're the best thing that ever wound up on my toast. Its a very nice property.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

My mom's jams they're the best thing that ever wound up on my toast.

That is one thing I have no trouble at all in believing 😋.

3 hours ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Why they have matches there is beyond me.

Probably because cannabis is meant to be smoked??

4 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

That is one thing I have no trouble at all in believing 😋.

Probably because cannabis is meant to be smoked??

Oh yeah I only got them because I need cbd oil in not sure why my mom's definitely told my I've just forgotten.And my mom got them free as a first but or something.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 2:47 AM, Kranium said:

20221113_reduced.jpg

Dang. So nice. That is how i want to spend my retirement.