Duplicate contents in same style houses?

PolarBear70

I've run into this a few times. It's not technically a bug, but it does feel a little unrealistic/weird.

I step into a house of a particular layout, and collect the items in the house. For instance, sitting in the first room, there might be a dresser to the left with a can of lamp oil and a storm lantern on the table. Over by the bookcase, there might be a swatch of cloth and salty crackers.

Then I enter another house with the same layout. Sometimes, in a weird sense of deja vu, the same items are there in the same places. The lamp oil is on the dresser, the storm lantern is on the table. Swatch of cloth and salty crackers all in the exact positions that they were in the previous house.

:shock: Needless to say, this is very trippy. :shock:

What I'm wondering is if the RNG is running amok or that there are percentage chances of things appearing in certain places, and that the game is happening to replicate the same things in the same areas because of those chances. However it happens, though, it feels very strange and certainly breaks immersion. I have noticed that it is tied to house types, and that houses of a similar layout will tend to "duplicate" items in them.

I have noticed the same thing. Especially with the Lake Cabins at ML - several times there were two identical Cabins: same layout, same items in identical amount, and in the same spots. It is a little bit irritating or - as the OP has it - trippy. :)

I noticed the same thing several times but I don't think the houses are duplicated, otherwise they would be always duplicated which is not the case. But I suspect that the different loot spawnpoints have a limited set of possible items that can spawn there, which is why for example you find alot of commodes that have Salty Crackers placed atop.

When you encounter two houses with the same items it only means that the RNG picked the same items twice, which can happen when everything's random and only a small pool of items exists for a specific spawn point. This can probably be adjusted but would require some more work on the RNG code.

I've run into this a few times. It's not technically a bug, but it does feel a little unrealistic/weird.

I step into a house of a particular layout, and collect the items in the house. For instance, sitting in the first room, there might be a dresser to the left with a can of lamp oil and a storm lantern on the table. Over by the bookcase, there might be a swatch of cloth and salty crackers.

Then I enter another house with the same layout. Sometimes, in a weird sense of deja vu, the same items are there in the same places. The lamp oil is on the dresser, the storm lantern is on the table. Swatch of cloth and salty crackers all in the exact positions that they were in the previous house.

:shock: Needless to say, this is very trippy. :shock:

What I'm wondering is if the RNG is running amok or that there are percentage chances of things appearing in certain places, and that the game is happening to replicate the same things in the same areas because of those chances. However it happens, though, it feels very strange and certainly breaks immersion. I have noticed that it is tied to house types, and that houses of a similar layout will tend to "duplicate" items in them.

Some of this is RNG, so while this isn't a bug per se, it is something we are aware of and working on for the future. :)

Archived