body temperature and sweat mechanics

lightnin_ch0wn

In the real world, as you exert energy you heat up, so running warms you up, which in counter to that causes your body to sweat in order to not over heat (not a doctor, but general idea yes?)

When I'm running around in game (almost run all the time, don't see any reason not to) it takes me out of the game to have no concept of sweat, and potential hypothermia. I have found out the hard way how terrible it is to wake up wet and cold.

I don't know what plans are in place, or if we're really trying for an ultra realistic survival experience (I suspect not), but if you run a lot, eventually you should sweat, and eventually when you stop running, that sweat should cause you to get cold faster, unless you dry off or change clothes.

I won't get into blisters on feet or anything either. :)

I agree with this and would also like to add that perma-running is also a problem for me. I'd rather some kind of energy/current calories/sprint mechanic be included. I shouldn't be able to run everywhere. For my own immersion, I'm usually walking unless I'm getting chased or doing some chasing. I don't think I should be able to do that indefinitely.

I've thought about this as well. Being careful not to break a sweat is one of the most important aspects of arctic survival but it could also make the game a lot more tedious. Most people run everywhere in this game because walking is slow and boring and there's no key bind option for auto-walk (WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN ADDED YET!?). Auto walk is a feature that should have been added a long time ago but there are other ways of getting around this...

One would be to make it so that sweating only occurs after you've been running non-stop for a minute or two, and if it doesn't take too long to cool down again. Another would be to add a third running speed so you can toggle between walking and jogging, or you can hold down shift to sprint. Jogging would warm you up but it shouldn't cause you to sweat, or at least not unless you jog for quite a long time. Sprinting would be a good addition to the game because they could make the wolves a bit faster without them being incredibly overpowered, but it would obviously cause you to sweat pretty fast.

Having a fight with a wolf or bear is guaranteed to cause you to sweat though, as the fear and adrenaline can do that even if you aren't struggling very hard.

I'm not sure if sweating would make the game more fun, but it would certainly make it more realistic.

I had assumed that my fatigue increased faster as I ran and that fatigue was the only thing factored from running.

Perhaps it would make sense to have some kind of "out-of-breath" meter, hidden or visible, that would refill as I rest and drain as I run. Fatigue would continue to drain faster as I run.

This meter could be used to drive the "warm-me-as-I-run" and "cool-me-after-I_run". So, as the out-of-breath meter fills up, I also warm up due to the exertion. But as the out-of-breath meter drains when I rest, I cool down due to sweating.

It might also make sense to slightly increase the wear-and-tear on my clothing to represent the sweaty clothing.

Anyway, I like the idea.

Perhaps it would make sense to have some kind of "out-of-breath" meter, hidden or visible, that would refill as I rest and drain as I run. Fatigue would continue to drain faster as I run.

This meter could be used to drive the "warm-me-as-I-run" and "cool-me-after-I_run". So, as the out-of-breath meter fills up, I also warm up due to the exertion. But as the out-of-breath meter drains when I rest, I cool down due to sweating.

I like that idea, simple and elegant way to do both things at once.

I also think this is important. In the cold, like when I grew up in Northern New York working on a farm, you rarely run. Running is hard in the snow; running risks sweating, and sweating is the quickest way to really mess up your body; and running uses extra energy. You take off layers as you work to keep from getting too hot.

Running makes sense if you need to generate extra heat, or if you are in danger of an attack; otherwise, working in the winter, you almost never run.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of having to deal with sweating. As it is now if you get above 0 C effective you don't get cold. How about if you are too hot? Using the current systems in the game, if your effective temperature gets too warm (+10 C) you start to get cold (!) due to the chilling effects of sweating and have to modify your layers. It would be something as simple as taking off the sweater or toque to get your total effective temperature below 10 C, but would be something you have to deal with on the fly to maintain your condition. It could expose you to more wolf attacks as you are distracted or result in a loss of condition from wood gathering if you did not check your temp prior to gathering or harvesting.

I like the idea of having to deal with sweating. As it is now if you get above 0 C effective you don't get cold. How about if you are too hot? Using the current systems in the game, if your effective temperature gets too warm (+10 C) you start to get cold (!) due to the chilling effects of sweating and have to modify your layers. It would be something as simple as taking off the sweater or toque to get your total effective temperature below 10 C, but would be something you have to deal with on the fly to maintain your condition. It could expose you to more wolf attacks as you are distracted or result in a loss of condition from wood gathering if you did not check your temp prior to gathering or harvesting.

I like the sweating & energy meters, but we need some of warning in the game. The energy meter is easy, the more you run the lower the meter goes. As a added modifier, I think the lower the meter goes the stiffer the penalty we take if we have to fight off Fluffy. Fighting when out of breath = hard to do. A simple "Temp Gage" on the screen with comfortable in the middle, freezing on one end and over heating on the other. A player would then have to balance their condition by more than just getting out of the cold/wind.

If getting wet (sweating/falling into water) is included, then we need some sort of modifier on on clothing. I think we can all agree that once your socks are wet in your shoes/boots they stay wet. You have to change socks. Same condition applies to the rest of our clothes. This would also give us another time sink and chance for exposure by a fire. You get soaked, you start a fire and then strip off your clothing to dry out. If you don't have a change of clothing you are probably in over your head. Carrying extra clothing = extra weight you have to haul around, or stay closer to a shelter.

Archived