Why only a rifle? Boss tier critters are too strong!

Amateur Bushcrafter

Am i mistaken or aren't the scenario in America? The most armed country in the world? At least at the gas station i would expect to find a good old fancy REVOLVER behind a safe you could crack open with a crowbar or a improvised dynamite by using both flare, gas and whatever else (What, we get to level in firemaking but not in alchemy like in Skyrim? What's the point of even paying attention to that if that's the only thing to level in?!) And here's a good one; Why not a classical redneck SHOOTGUN?! That would surely take down the bear and wolf once they attack in close range, that would be a nice twist in both timing and sparing ammunition since they are obviously rare to come by.

I've noticed the indestructable force of the animals (The annoying rabbits especially! RBAJRAØFBNAØFNWA!!!) and i have done nothing but gained the Deer Hide boots so far, while literally THROWING my bullets at the animals with its outwordly ridiculous phsycics and animations. They dodge me like a freaking super saying going blonde hedgehog. I SWEAR i hit that bear in the face at least once and still he runs along at an impossible speed. Why didn't the horny little rabbits EXPLODE in a red mist once i had them in my sight whenever my character actually co operated with the aim (What's up with that? He randomly ceases his aim, annoying!) I could use the traps in the game but the odds of them little Furbies actually running into one are a Dumb to Dumber, the game needs bait! (Hunting squirrels would also be a nice bonus since i already know how to trap them, and why not birds? A flock of ravens could indicate a fleshy find for looting and they themselves could also be baited into a trap for additional meat since it's rather easy in real life taken the ingredients of the trap to consideration)

If they didn't ran off all the time (Please give the game a random engine where the 'harmless' deer sometimes attack in self defense) then a meele encounter would come in hand, let's put that knife to a good use beside only opening a can of dog food (Where's the delicious cat food?!) I found the dog house by the way, don't you know that loose dogs are a survival factprs as well? They are angry wolves when hungry enough.

You forgot to read the opening screen? How does that work?

It works like everything else you know and forget, did you remember to turn the oven off? Did you remember to brush your teeth this morning? Did you remember to air the dog? Did you remember to turn off the light before leaving the house for the holidays? Did you forget to pull the lever after using the toilet? :?

Yes the game is set in Canada, and as such there will be less guns around compared to some other places in the world. Which mode are you currently playing on?
Thank you for both input and asking. By mode i assume you refer to sandbox of choice? I'm no backer so i'm just the basic Steam player around here, using the updated version offered upon immediate release. I'm playing the new level Pleasant Valley i believe was the name. The first level was too difficult for me since i didn't find enough provisions to survive and the traps to get rabbits are honestly too difficult as it appears to be a randomized mechanic. Fishing is the most reliable and most fun hunting part of the game in my opinion.

I've noticed the indestructable force of the animals (The annoying rabbits especially! RBAJRAØFBNAØFNWA!!!) and i have done nothing but gained the Deer Hide boots so far, while literally THROWING my bullets at the animals with its outwordly ridiculous phsycics and animations. They dodge me like a freaking super saying going blonde hedgehog.

This makes one wonder whether all people here are actually talking about the same game... ;)

I've noticed the indestructable force of the animals (The annoying rabbits especially! RBAJRAØFBNAØFNWA!!!) and i have done nothing but gained the Deer Hide boots so far, while literally THROWING my bullets at the animals with its outwordly ridiculous phsycics and animations. They dodge me like a freaking super saying going blonde hedgehog.

This makes one wonder whether all people here are actually talking about the same game... ;)

I assure you, my worst survival factor is a stable mentality in regards to survivalist frustration when it comes to hunt and when the current avatar refuses to cooperate whenever i try to aim and shoot. :oops:

I've never tried it because it has a terrible bullet/kcal ratio (1rabbit = about 600kcal). Why would you want to use one of your precious bullets for 600kcal when you can get about 10.000 kcal (deer ~9x800kcal + wolf ~4x700kcal) instead? ;)

Wait...did I understand right??? He was hunting rabbits with rifle? :lol: :lol:

I know,to newbie all things can happen and I understand that.I did many silly thing at start,too.And now I only laugh to my noob actions at start. :lol:

I hope you will not be insulted,buddy.I don`t intend to be mean or bad...just it is realy so funny. :D You will see,when you will be experienced player,you will also laugh at this.It is not big deal.And,it is all about,that we have fun with game.Such stories like yours,can make game only more fun and interesting.So,thank you for this refreshing post.I like it. :)

Wait...did I understand right??? He was hunting rabbits with rifle? :lol: :lol:

I know,to newbie all things can happen and I understand that.I did many silly thing at start,too.And now I only laugh to my noob actions at start. :lol:

I hope you will not be insulted,buddy.I don`t intend to be mean or bad...just it is realy so funny. :D You will see,when you will be experienced player,you will also laugh at this.It is not big deal.And,it is all about,that we have fun with game.Such stories like yours,can make game only more fun and interesting.So,thank you for this refreshing post.I like it. :)

Oh not at all! I consider myself to have a tremendous amount of self irony which results in me laughing at next to everything, especially myself the Amateur Bushcrafter! :D :lol: Except when my fellows are intentionally mocking me without any signs of regards to humour or charm, then i'll growl like a Formula 1 Engine and bite like a Beartrap. :evil: I realize it is a waste of valuable bullets, honestly i found using bullets on bears and wolves also as a waste of bullets. I spent seven bullets without getting my wolf hide and so i decided to carry on, is it really a game mechanic where they bleed to death?

Have i stated how incredibly hard it is to catch a rabbiy with the snares already? Or is there a trick to it that i haven't noticed? I only placed it around the area they jump around and hope they would enter through the loop for no reason related to reality whatsoever.

Allright, I'll try to explain some basic TLD hunting methods to you.^^

Bears have the best bullet/kcal ratio by far. Shoot a bear with one bullet, then run away as fast as you can (some people also say hiding behind trees works, but I haven't tried that yet). You can also climb some rocks where the bear can't reach you if you prefer it, although I personally consider this more or less some kind of exploit and thus don't do it.

However, after shooting the bear you go to a building, sleep two hours, search the bear corpse and you'll have 25-40kg of 900kcal/kg bear meat. (=30k kcal for one bullet.) But I'd better warn you, hunting bears is dangerous if you're not experienced and/or very careful.

Second best is the wolf-deer-combo. Chase a deer into a wolf and wait until the wolf kills the deer. Approach the wolf from the front. When it starts running towards you, kill it with a headshot. (=10k kcal for one bullet)

Shooting only wolves is nothing you should do for hunting but merely for self-defense reasons in emergency situations. IF you have to shoot them, always aim for the head as headshots instantly kill them.

Shooting only deer is also something I personally would never do unless in emergency situations maybe.

Placing rabbit snares in areas where you've seen rabbits before usually works well for me. Just place it somewhere and return the next day to harvest the rabbit corpses. If you place three snares, usually about two of them will sucessfully trap a rabbit.

I hope this helps you a bit.^^

Allright, I'll try to explain some basic TLD hunting methods to you.^^

Bears have the best bullet/kcal ratio by far. Shoot a bear with one bullet, then run away as fast as you can (some people also say hiding behind trees works, but I haven't tried that yet). You can also climb some rocks where the bear can't reach you if you prefer it, although I personally consider this more or less some kind of exploit and thus don't do it.

However, after shooting the bear you go to a building, sleep two hours, search the bear corpse and you'll have 25-40kg of 900kcal/kg bear meat. (=30k kcal for one bullet.) But I'd better warn you, hunting bears is dangerous if you're not experienced and/or very careful.

Second best is the wolf-deer-combo. Chase a deer into a wolf and wait until the wolf kills the deer. Approach the wolf from the front. When it starts running towards you, kill it with a headshot. (=10k kcal for one bullet)

Shooting only wolves is nothing you should do for hunting but merely for self-defense reasons in emergency situations. IF you have to shoot them, always aim for the head as headshots instantly kill them.

Shooting only deer is also something I personally would never do unless in emergency situations maybe.

Placing rabbit snares in areas where you've seen rabbits before usually works well for me. Just place it somewhere and return the next day to harvest the rabbit corpses. If you place three snares, usually about two of them will sucessfully trap a rabbit.

I hope this helps you a bit.^^

Thank you for the valuable insight Scyzara, perhaps i have been very unlucky indeed but even unfortunate events are gold worth since experience, shameful or proud; Is the best teacher. :D

• 2 years later...

Okay while a 308 rifle isn't a bad weapon for hunting at all here is my question. Why not include or use either a "Cape Gun" which is frequently a paired rifle caliber chambered barrel and a shotgun chambered barrel or simply add a shotgun. a shotgun is versatile in the fact that it can fire bird-shot, for the bunnies or last ditch defense vs wolves, Buckshot for taking down wolves, deer, and defensively against bears, and finally slugs which can totally kill bears. I love the game, it's been great fun since the beginning. Keep up the awesome work!

Scarce-Engraved-Beretta-Combinato-Hammer-Rifle-Shotgun-Cape-Gun_100577743_10765_4613EAB6237322C7.jpg

Dude, if you do silly things like claiming TLD is in America (come on, there are Canadian flags hanging EVERYWHERE in the game!) or shoot rabbits with guns, people here will mock you - that doesn't really mean you should insult them back. Might be funny coming from me, but lets keep it civil, else we won't learn nothing new. :) And if they make a joke on that regard, and you realize it as silly, maybe take it with humor as well. It's not like the Wintermute, if you played it to begin with, taught you to shoot at rabbits with a gun.

In regards to the "title" - there are no boss critters in the game. There are some that are more dangerous, but no bosses. Every single living thing will die from 1 bullet in the game. Some things will die immediately, based on what part of the body you hit, your marksman skill and sheer luck, but each bullet (or arrow) will cause bleeding, which means that in a couple of hours, the animal will bleed out. Again, based on what you used, the bleeding will be faster or slower.

This is not American yee-haw shooter game. You will only find a very limited amount of bullets, guns and cleaning kits. In fact, the rifle is not even that good of a weapon to begin with... bows are so much better. Silent and renewable, its a weapon you can rely on. I haven't used a gun to hunt in order to get food for over a year (I use guns to go sport hunting in the game, whenever I get really bored of the routine)

There are thousands of posts here on forums that can give you pointers on hunting. Try searching around, Im sure you will find many interesting things hidden in here :) 

As for the argument with "why only a rifle"

Speaking for a sizeable part of the community, we dont want more firearms in the game. Because firearms are easy to use, limited in a way that they rely on ammo which cannot and will not be craftable, even though people here expressed a wish to have reloading benches in the game, too... not that you could make a smokeless powder in survival conditions anyways)

If I want a firearm into the game, I want it to be another type of rifle - a black gunpowder musket. Something that you could craft bullets for on a forge, and mix couple of chemicals together to make black gunpowder for the ignition. But it would be a 1 shot 1 reload kind of thing, so in a way even more challenging to use for quick wildlife then the current rifle is :) 

We know there are rumours that revolver will eventually make it into the game. That is fine with me, as I expect that will be more of an offensive weapon, rather then hunting one. But, why have assault rifles, shotguns and sniper rifles when the rifle is good enough for hunting in the game already? Like I said, no matter what you hit the animal with, if you dont miss your shot with a rifle or a bow, that animal WILL die of blood loss eventually. Luckily they dont know how to use bandages :D 

If you want to be a real hunter, learn to conserve your ammo, only shoot when you are well rested and know you can hit the target well, and if you do, just let it bleed out. When hunting big game, lure them close to a car or other shelter, and shoot them while ducking inside of it. Then just wait. For the small game - dont waste arrows or bullets on them! Rabbits are easy to hunt with stones, or traps. And you can scare deer off into wolves, then scare the wolves away for a free deer meal. Or just lob an arrow in the wolf skull and enjoy double the portion - deer with a bit of wolf on the side!

Good point on the shotguns, @wshonchell , but that is EXACTLY the problem :)

It is VERY good. For a game that wants to be challenging, that is not a good idea.

If I were to be honest, eventually we might see a shotgun in the game. There is a sizeable community behind requiring it. I hope not, but the game is not just about what I want :)

Again, if it does appear, I expect it will be a weapon mostly offensive - the kind of gun you will reach for if a bear is charging at you already, rather then a hunting tool. Because better kind of hunting comes from shooting the animal from far away so it doesnt know where the shot is coming from :) 

Thank god Amateur Bushcrafter is no longer active on this forum, you can’t really expect understanding and respect if you talk trash..

I would be in favour of seeing a different firearm in the game (notice that I meant firearm, in a singular fashion). A shotgun would be preferable, as it has a bigger connection to the action of hunting. Too many firearms and you scare people away from palying the game

Archived