Correct translation

Tradus

Hello, friends.
I am writing to you with the help of Google translator, so do not judge strictly. I hope you understand the main thing.

In the Russian translation of The Long Dark there are a lot of errors, not of a grammatical nature, but these errors have been "hitting in the eye" for several years now.
I wrote to the support team several times.
And I always got an answer... ...but time goes by. Years pass. Why is no action being taken? Why is it indifferent to everyone that the Russians in translation are completely different from what they really are. Where else can I go to get a game that I bought on Steam to receive an adequate translation? I am powerless. I don't know what to do, where to write, and who to contact. All these incorrect translations do not interfere with the gameplay. But I get the impression that I belong to a different class, a different race, or perhaps a different culture. I definitely don't feel Russian when I read descriptions and names of objects/things/elements of the game.

1. Both green, freshly cut trees have the same error. Maple and Birch.

1.thumb.png.f5550fbadb086aa87cd3a93898149f74.png

Two identical lines. It's as if we didn't say "a big red truck is driving" but would say twice this phrase "a big red truck is driving a big red truck is driving"

2. If you go to the magazine to find the "history of bygone days", then there, you can find a "wooden log!" Instead of "history of bygone days". Is this some kind of joke?

If you enter a query in Google for the word "log", then we get nothing more than a saw cut tree without knots.

1.thumb.png.3c2ef32f143bb2b48ef3439a2a652157.png

623186578_2.thumb.png.20e9d7faf5ba4149480c0040f19f69fe.png

3. Old Man's Beard Wound Dressing translated as: "old hanging moss bandage"

3.thumb.png.ad6f65aa41c32add0878343e3386c0d7.png

4. Cat Tail Stalk translated as: Timothy grass

4.thumb.png.c9703ad9c582c7fdff9f62a4ec924617.png4.2.thumb.png.c6ea7ba52953cab74421fc85d783623e.png

4.1.thumb.png.2036acf0f03d2b1064ea6fc638c76552.png

And there are so many such inaccuracies in the game that sometimes it seems to me that I am from a parallel world (not just me, but all Russians).

Laugh and cry with me.

Dear developers, the years go by. When will you start doing something about it?

I would very much like the Russian translation to be done by a "sane, Russian person".

Edited by Tradus
  • Upvote 4

The fourth episode was recently released - and then the "Blackrock" location was added to the survival mode. But even here, the translators made a mistake. Grammar error. They translated Blackrock as "Черный камень".

In Russian there is no word "Черный", there is a word "Чёрный".

It's like spelling Blackrock with an "o" Blockrock.

1.thumb.png.1dd9b11befb24e039cb8a8f05806a987.png

Edited by Tradus
changed link
  • Upvote 1

Grammar errors which are simple, very, very many. Everywhere possible, the "similar" but not correct letter "e Е" is used instead of the letter "ё Ё".

2.thumb.png.b69183a8965989c8fb03773d91a15623.png2.1.thumb.png.a9e1664c6aee3737b2eb2acf744aa261.png

Maple Sapling - has a grammatical error in translation.

1.thumb.png.039c200f552d93cda025c5c8655c47e9.png1.1.thumb.png.249742cc152d66ab348b72b245ee9ef5.png

Birch Sapling Green - there are 2 grammatical translation errors.

3.thumb.png.9a46549be44906ba8f95b496fff5e3da.png3.1.thumb.png.31982e50bd8d8db52dac4f29ce74ea61.png

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, RegentRelic said:

Have you tried the Russian translation mod?

Modded translation is better, but have a lot of problems too:

• Mistakes
  • Redundant dots in titles
  • Not updated strings that were updated after the translation was made for the first time
  • Colors are a good idea but there're "acid" colors
  • Redundant empty lines in the skills descriptions (archery, sewing etc.)
  • Contradictions in different places (as an example, in Episode 2 one note says Hank has builded the bunker, while another note says he has found it)
  • In some places there's no text, but it should be (you can compare different versions of, for example, the note called "Mystery Lake & Area" from Camp Office in Episode 2)
  • Etc.
Edited by Kycko
+1 problem

On 1/29/2022 at 2:13 AM, Tradus said:

Grammar errors which are simple, very, very many. Everywhere possible, the "similar" but not correct letter "e Е" is used instead of the letter "ё Ё".

2.thumb.png.b69183a8965989c8fb03773d91a15623.png2.1.thumb.png.a9e1664c6aee3737b2eb2acf744aa261.png

Maple Sapling - has a grammatical error in translation.

1.thumb.png.039c200f552d93cda025c5c8655c47e9.png1.1.thumb.png.249742cc152d66ab348b72b245ee9ef5.png

Birch Sapling Green - there are 2 grammatical translation errors.

3.thumb.png.9a46549be44906ba8f95b496fff5e3da.png3.1.thumb.png.31982e50bd8d8db52dac4f29ce74ea61.png

Я бы это проблемой, и уж тем более, ошибкой не назвал. Е пишут вместо Ё везде. Конечно, Ё заслуживает более справедливого к себе отношения, но у перевода TLD есть гораздо более значительные проблемы.

---------------------------------

I wouldn't call it an error, it's not even a problem, really. People use Е instead of Ё all the time. Of course, Ё deserves more recognition, but TLD's translation has problems that are far more significant.

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

Я бы это проблемой, и уж тем более, ошибкой не назвал. Е пишут вместо Ё везде. Конечно, Ё заслуживает более справедливого к себе отношения, но у перевода TLD есть гораздо более значительные проблемы.

---------------------------------

I wouldn't call it an error, it's not even a problem, really. People use Е instead of Ё all the time. Of course, Ё deserves more recognition, but TLD's translation has problems that are far more significant.

Я указал на разновидность ошибок, начиная от неправильного сопоставления в названиях заканчивая грамматическими ошибками. То, что ты не против буквы Е в словах, где нужна Ё, не меняет правил русского языка.

I pointed out a variety of errors, ranging from incorrect matching in titles to grammatical errors. The fact that you are not against the letter E in words where Ё is needed does not change the rules of the Russian language.

• Upvote 1

@Ghurcb по-моему лучше даже не "штормовой фонарь", а "походная лампа". 🙂 Именно лампа, т. к. она горит на масле.

По поводу Google Translate – точно нет) В титрах сюжетки указана студия Levsha Games. Я подозреваю, что им просто дали файл со списком строк, но не дали саму игру, чтобы посмотреть, что именно в этих строках имеется в виду.

image.png

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

That's what it is supposed to be, a tablet. As in: a small disk or cylinder of a compressed solid substance, typically a measured amount of a medicine or drug; a pill. 

so translated from English into Russian: Планшет

1547012525_.thumb.png.93f2117cd27b7fa0d86f907784c7a4f2.png

And this is a pill: Таблетка (what it really is)

1618095661_.thumb.png.ad1f2c99ff6ed4036cc69c4bb0043b2a.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tradus said:

so translated from English into Russian: Планшет

1547012525_.thumb.png.93f2117cd27b7fa0d86f907784c7a4f2.png

And this is a pill: Таблетка (what it really is)

1618095661_.thumb.png.ad1f2c99ff6ed4036cc69c4bb0043b2a.png

: / Sorry for assuming, but that is funky. They have the same spelling in english, why do ya'll have two different spellings in Russian. I don't know, but I'll leave this thread alone since I don't belong, ya'll have fun

@Admin I think you need localization testers. 🤔 Seems like you haven't. 

I will point out some other problems, hope you will also make this changes.

1. "Выжившего" → "Персонаж" or "Выживший": the word "выжившего" has bad ending. There's no such endings in English. It's used only in such phrases as "It's that survivor's gear" – "Это инструмент того выжившего".
  2. "Местоположение" → "Место": difficult and long word, can be replaced with simple "место".
  3. "...Усталось снизится, а если вы здоровы, здоровье восстановится." → "Вы отдохнёте и восстановите здоровье.": current phrase means "your condition will recover if you have full 100% condition".
  4. "Закрывать" → "Закрыть": another bad ending.
  5. "калории" → "калорий": I've checked all the places with this word. It will be better to have an ending "й".
  6. "Возьми" → "В рюкзак" or "Взять", "Не трогай." → "Не брать", "Съешь это" → "Съесть", "Выпей это" → "Выпить", "Собери это" → "Собрать": another bad endings. Also you can see very strange dot in "Не трогай."
  7. "{pack-val} всего | {worn-val} сейчас" → "в рюкзаке: {pack-val} • надето: {worn-val}": pack-val must show only the clothes in my backpack, but current word "всего" means "all". + the word "сейчас" means just "now", better to replace it with "надето" (means "I'm wearing now").

I can continue this list and add more and more problems if you want. I want to see a good language in this perfect game, so just let me know if you really need all the list, and I will add it here (maybe replacing the screenshots with the links to make my text more comfortable to read; maybe using some table).

screen [2022-02-05] [01-44-32].png

screen [2022-02-05] [01-53-16].png

screen [2022-02-05] [01-52-20].png

screen [2022-02-05] [01-50-55].png

screen [2022-02-05] [01-48-57].png

Edited by Kycko
+table

6 hours ago, Kycko said:

@Admin I think you need localization testers. 🤔 Seems like you haven't. 

I will point out some other problems, hope you will also make this changes.

1. "Выжившего" → "Персонаж" or "Выживший": the word "выжившего" has bad ending. There's no such endings in English. It's used only in such phrases as "It's that survivor's gear" – "Это инструмент того выжившего".
  2. "Местоположение" → "Место": difficult and long word, can be replaced with simple "место".
  3. "...Усталось снизится, а если вы здоровы, здоровье восстановится." → "Вы отдохнёте и восстановите здоровье.": current phrase means "your condition will recover if you have full 100% condition".

screen [2022-02-05] [01-44-32].png

screen [2022-02-05] [01-48-57].png

Привет.
Хочу поспорить за 2 и 3 пункты.
Слово "Местоположение" хорошо подходит к данному элементу меню, так как слово "место" имеет несколько значений в русском языке. Возможно слово "Вы находитесь:" было бы ещё более корректным.

По поводу сна, думаю там имелось ввиду, что "если вы не больны, то здоровье восстановится".
Под словом "больны" может подразумеваться: "жажда", "растяжение", "кишечные паразиты", "пищевое отравление", "инфекция" и как бы это странно не звучало даже "холод" - т.е. все негативные состояния что есть в TLD. Поэтому, что бы описать все эти состояния в одном предложении, нужен более деликатный подход. Но такого слова как мне кажется у нас, в русском языке попросту нет. Фраза "Усталость снизится, а если вы не имеете негативных состояний - ваше  здоровье восстановится." - звучит не слишком красиво, хоть и более правдиво.

Для перевода нужны профессионалы а не те дилетанты что переводили игру, к примеру "Рогоз" для меня лично звучит лучше, чем то, чем оно является на самом деле. (Cat Tail Stalk)

_____

Hello.
I want to argue for points 2 and 3.
The word "Location" fits well with this menu item, as the word "place" has several meanings in Russian. Perhaps the word "You are:" would be even more correct.

Regarding sleep, I think it meant that "if you are not sick, then health will be restored."
The word "sick" can mean: "thirst", "stretching", "intestinal parasites", "food poisoning", "infection" and, no matter how strange it may sound, even "cold" - i.e. all the negative states that are in the TLD. Therefore, in order to describe all these states in one sentence, a more delicate approach is needed. But such a word, as it seems to me, we simply do not have in the Russian language. The phrase "Fatigue will decrease, and if you do not have negative conditions, your health will be restored." - does not sound very nice, although more truthful.

Translation requires professionals and not those amateurs who translated the game, for example, "Cattail" for me personally sounds better than what it really is. (Cat Tail Stalk)

Edited by Tradus
add google translate sub

5 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

I just noticed another one!

This game's translation is truly a gift that keeps on giving.2031642315_.thumb.png.a86a1aed930d3379555e7e6b39fa989c.png

Если тебя не затруднит копируй текст, что бы такие как я, не знающие английского могли его хоть как-то прочесть посредством гугл переводчика :)
За ранее большое тебе спасибо.

_____

If it doesn't make it difficult for you, copy the text so that people like me who do not know English can somehow read it through Google translator :)
Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by Tradus
add google translate sub

1 minute ago, Tradus said:

Если тебя не затруднит копируй текст, что бы такие как я, не знающие английского могли его хоть как-то прочесть посредством гугл переводчика :)
За ранее большое тебе спасибо.

_____

If it doesn't make it difficult for you, copy the text so that people like me who do not know English can somehow read it through Google translator :)
Thank you very much in advance.

Вот ещё один странный момент. Вместо "Experience mode" тут написано "Expert mode" (Режим эксперта).

Отсылка Террарии?

Так вот...

Уровни сложности в TLD называются "experiences" (опыты). Но вот "Experience mod" (Режим опыта?) на русский нормально не перевести. Лучше всего было бы перевести это просто как "опыт".

1 hour ago, Ghurcb said:

Вот ещё один странный момент. Вместо "Experience mode" тут написано "Expert mode" (Режим эксперта).

Отсылка Террарии?

Так вот...

Уровни сложности в TLD называются "experiences" (опыты). Но вот "Experience mod" (Режим опыта?) на русский нормально не перевести. Лучше всего было бы перевести это просто как "опыт".

Там точно "Experience mode" подразумевалось?
Может быть там "Exploration mode" имелось ввиду? Я право не знаю.

"Опыт" звучит плохо, как не крути это слово.

_____

There precisely "Experience mode" was implied?
Maybe there "Exploration mode" meant? I don't know right.

"Experience" sounds bad, no matter how you twist the word.

@Admin What does "Exp. mode" really?

Edited by Tradus
опыт

2 minutes ago, Tradus said:

Там точно "Experience mode" подразумевалось?
Может быть там "Exploration mode" имелось ввиду? Я право не знаю.

"Опыты" звучит плохо, как не крути это слово.

_____

There precisely "Experience mode" was implied?
Maybe there "Exploration mode" meant? I don't know right.

"Experience" sounds bad, no matter how you twist the word.

@Admin What does "Exp. mode" really?

Написано Exp. mode. Но exp. - это точно "experience", потому что так называются в the long dark уровни сложности.

По-моему, "опыт" звучит нормально (но только не во множественном числе). Подразумевается, то что ты выбираешь, какой ОПЫТ ты хочешь получить от игры. Приятную прогулку по лесу на Пилигриме или максимальное уничтожение воли на Незваном Госте.

Так или иначе, это всё равно лучше, чем "режим эксперта".experience.thumb.png.7aafda911a42747f0a080710860efe22.png

• Like 1

Перевод на русский:

1) Все названия эпизодов раньше были переведены. Что случилось?

2) Это "Милтон", а не "Мильтон"

qqqqqqqq.thumb.png.5aae2676e284008e9ad88f3cdb12f2eb.png

3) "Ему хватило храбрости сбежать из самого мрачного места на острове Великого Медведя"

Совершенно неправильно переведено. Он ЖЕЛАЕТ сбежать оттуда. Значит, он ещё не сбежал.

qqqqqqqq.thumb.png.aa1266565b96a8db3c4c17e4f121b1c7.png

4) Похоже, кто-то не знает разницы между "jackrabbit" и "jackalope" (рогатый заяц). Ладно, плевать. Это ещё не всё.

Почему-то команда переводчиков подумала, что это название отсылает к Jackalope Island (Остров Рогатого Зайца, но это тоже кривой перевод). Тому самому из Прибрежного Шоссе. Так что теперь это воздушная служба Острова Рогатого Зайца.

Похоже, Серая Мать ошиблась. Русский Маккензи ТОЧНО не с материка.

1464731502_.thumb.png.0f8b11c23087d492ef1941a7b55321cf.png