Craftable spears for defence and walking.

JoseyWales

I posted this in another thread and thought I would create a thread just for it as it is different than what the thread I posted it in was about.

Something I thought of after reading this is to be able to fabricate a spear in game. It is a good defensive weapon and can also be used as a walking stick to help you through the deep stuff. It conforms to the premise of the game as well..

Assign 5 to it once created and as long as you have it out or can enable it quick enough you would be able to fend off a wolf/bear attack and possibly kill one by stabbing at it.

It would require the knife or hatchet to cut it and a fire to harden the tip. It would be something that could be created in the wild with just a camp fire and hardwood as well as be susceptible to breakage if not maintained.

It is something I believe would fit in nicely with the game and relatively easy to implement as it would not require any items other than what is already in the game, except for the spear itself. I suppose they could be found around the maps as well but not really needed considering they would be a craftable item.

Also using it as a walking stick could help to lessen the load when encumbered allowing the player to move a little faster under heavy load. So it could be a dual use item in the game. It could also help walking speed when injured from attack or a sprained ankle and such.

96x96-BillTarling.thumb.jpg.d62832a712c4

woodspear8ancientcraft.co_.uk_.thumb.jpg

javelin1.thumb.JPG.3f5ccab20f2c9b4e84e94

I agree. Probably the FIRST thing I would do in a survival situation like TLD (with deep snow and attacking animals) is make a spear/walking staff.

Not only is it an effective defensive weapon, it also functions as a "third leg" when walking through deep snow and across ice. This makes you less likely to fall and hurt yourself.

thanks for the pics :) What happens when you have the rifle equipped? I know that we currently have no hands in game ;) but let's pretend we do--- both your hands would be holding the rifle. Can a spear have a shoulder strap (looks a bit too long for it) or would you not be able to carry it while the rifle is equipped?

Either or.. It would be strapped to your backpack I suppose. It would be nice to have with the lantern out or a flair though..

I guess right mouse could be used to arm the spear, left to strike. Some thought would net to go into figuring out the controls and interactions with other things.

thanks for the pics :) What happens when you have the rifle equipped? I know that we currently have no hands in game ;) but let's pretend we do--- both your hands would be holding the rifle. Can a spear have a shoulder strap (looks a bit too long for it) or would you not be able to carry it while the rifle is equipped?

Same thing that happens when you have the rifle equipped and pull out your lantern: it vanishes into hammerspace.

I am assuming that the rifle has a strap, as it just essentially vanishes when we pull out something else or put it away. Same thing with the lantern, and that makes even less space, unless you hook it to your belt (and that is an awkward way to carry a lantern in real life)

How about: if you don't have the spear in your hands, it gets dropped to the ground? Simple and realistic.

As much as I would like to have a melee weapon in this game, the more i think about it the more i remember that melee weapons suck in first Person. And it looks like, and I can be wrong, but Hinterland is trying to make the character an everyman, who is no tied to any particular race or ethnicity as much as possible(ignore the image of the man thats in the bottom of the forum, he doesn't exist lol), thats why we dont see his hands(or shadow for that matter)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the OP has made a good case for the fire hardened spear. I would also like to see the devs put this in along with some upgrades. Putting a guard near the tip makes an effective boar spear, keeping them away from you even if they impale themselves trying to get at you. Lastly the player could fix a hunting knife onto a haft, making a "hunting spear".

1. Walking Staff

--> Upgrade to a Fire Hardened Spear or a Hunting Spear

2. Fire Hardened Spear

--> Upgrade to a Fire Hardened Boar Spear

3. Hunting Spear

--> Upgrade to a Hunting Boar Spear

Having any of these equipped would reduce the change of suffering a break/sprain while climbing. I also think there should be the chance for more thin ice in the game. Having a rod to tap out the ground in front of you would be a nice option to help find it.

Archived