Easy Sewing Kit Creation - Animal Parts

darqen27

I think it is easy and logical to be able to make a cheap sewing kit out of small animal bones(Rabbit) and animal sinew or gut/line.

Also small animal bones could also be used to manufacture hypodermic needles for painkillers/antibiotics.

I think it is easy and logical to be able to make a cheap sewing kit out of small animal bones(Rabbit) and animal sinew or gut/line.

Also small animal bones could also be used to manufacture hypodermic needles for painkillers/antibiotics.

Er... wouldn't you risk infections if you rammed the bone of a dead animal under your skin? Just asking.

Er... wouldn't you risk infections if you rammed the bone of a dead animal under your skin? Just asking.

If boiled for a decent length of time or treated with a high concentration of alcohol, the bone would be sterile, but what I'dbe more concerned about would be the bone itself. Bone is very fragile, and bone needles are extremely liable to snap or fracture, making them unsuitable for stiching wounds shut or using them for hypodermic syringes.

After 260 days of Voyageur run I'm realizing, that biggest problem isn't lack of sewing kits (I have still a lot of them), but lack of cloth.

This is why we should REALISTICALLY, be able to tear up towels, blankets, sheets, etc within houses.

Of course, some members of this forum would cry about how "that isn't the spirit of the game!", or some related nonsense.

As someone trained and experienced in survival, I still do not understand why "survival games" are concentrated so much on "scarcity", when they really should be concentrated more on "resource management".

I can definitely agree with the making of bone awls and needles.

Lessen your dependence on found sewing kits today!

Don't see why it would be necessary. I've seen plenty of nails sticking out of the reclaimed wood we get. Those would work fine for stitching leather and hide, or fashioning a rough awl better than bone would. Heck, even the fishing hook and line would work all right.

After 260 days of Voyageur run I'm realizing, that biggest problem isn't lack of sewing kits (I have still a lot of them), but lack of cloth.

This is why we should REALISTICALLY, be able to tear up towels, blankets, sheets, etc within houses.

Of course, some members of this forum would cry about how "that isn't the spirit of the game!", or some related nonsense.

As someone trained and experienced in survival, I still do not understand why "survival games" are concentrated so much on "scarcity", when they really should be concentrated more on "resource management".

Think about it this way. You are concentrating about 6-7 months of survival into maybe 4-5 hours of gameplay. Now while I will agree that what you are saying is correct, I must underline the fact that scarcity is a narrative imperative in this game.

If you have a large quantity of resources available, you won't go anywhere. you'll just sit at home, for 300+ days. You cannot venture very far, as the resources have to be stored at a basecamp, and you cannot carry that much with you without soon exhausting yourself, and leaving it for too long will mean abandoning your stores.

If you have easy access to cloth, meat, lamp oil and wood, the game is no longer challenging.

The game is designed to be harsh, to test your limits and abilities of reasoning and management.

Resource management, as you mentioned, is very important. even more so when you have less materials available.

The game developers have to balance playability versus realism. It's not that fun to play a game where all you have to do is ransack one house and have yourself set up for the next 3 months in comfort.

Also, the quotation marks are not necessary around the words "Scarcity", "Survival games" and "Resource management" (In this situation they are, as I am quoting from your passage)

Think about it this way. You are concentrating about 6-7 months of survival into maybe 4-5 hours of gameplay. Now while I will agree that what you are saying is correct, I must underline the fact that scarcity is a narrative imperative in this game.

If you have a large quantity of resources available, you won't go anywhere. you'll just sit at home, for 300+ days. You cannot venture very far, as the resources have to be stored at a basecamp, and you cannot carry that much with you without soon exhausting yourself, and leaving it for too long will mean abandoning your stores.

If you have easy access to cloth, meat, lamp oil and wood, the game is no longer challenging.

The game is designed to be harsh, to test your limits and abilities of reasoning and management.

Resource management, as you mentioned, is very important. even more so when you have less materials available.

The game developers have to balance playability versus realism. It's not that fun to play a game where all you have to do is ransack one house and have yourself set up for the next 3 months in comfort.

Also, the quotation marks are not necessary around the words "Scarcity", "Survival games" and "Resource management" (In this situation they are, as I am quoting from your passage)

The game would be very different if it was focused on long-term survival, ie, had a realistic level of supplies available Instead of rushing from base to base, and sleeping for a week after shooting a single deer, the game would instead focus on critical thinking and planning ahead. You have extra food NOW, so go out and hunt. You have extra wood NOW, so better gather up a supply to start seasoning. You have extra cloth and materials NOW, so better start making some extra clothing NOW, while you have enough food, light and time.

Read my thread about "scarcity vs resource management". I refined my ideas there a bit better.

It also isn't that fun to play a game where you deliberately starve yourself for a week, only to go out, shoot a deer, then sleep for another week. Yet, that appears to be the premier "end-game" survival strategy.

Also, where did the devs say that they concentrated 6-7 months of survival into 4-5 hours of gameplay? If so, then why bother giving us a "days survived" tally? That is both unrealistic and makes zero sense.

Finally, I can emphasize any word I like, in whatever fashion I like, from using quotation marks to underlining. If I need help with grammar, I will ask.

You appear to be taking this very personally, I would like to assure you that I am not attacking you, I am merely analysing and highlighting points of your argument that I see problems with, this is not an attack on you.

My point about 6-7 months was regarding the fact that people are routinely reaching 150-200 days (approximately 5-7 months) in sandbox now (and that might take 4-5 hours real time). You have to understand that you are concentrating a lot of wear and tear that should take years into a very short period of time, as a result you have to balance multiple factors that have been artificially accelerated to create a more intense gameplay.

You should also consider the fact that this game is still under development, and so the current mechanics work better for short episodes, not extended gameplay.

And finally, You may emphasize any word you like, in whatever fashion you like, from quotation marks to underlining. If you want help with grammar, I am available at any time.

• Hinterland

There's no resource management without scarcity.

Archived