Massive reduction in bearskin beadroll durability?

past caring

Specifically on the bearskin bedroll, this is still an issue post DLC/post TFTFT. 

Had just repaired mine to 100%, camped out in the cave in the climbing area at MT before the climb out to the cave system leading to ML. Along comes Mr Wolf - bedroll is in the cave - I let the wolf come close and pop him with the revolver, so no actual wolf struggle. Bedroll reduced by 25% instantly.

Knowing nothing about how the game makes its determination of condition loss, I wonder if the problem is, in part, that the variable that determines condition loss is not being cleared before the determination is made so whatever random number happens to occupy the variable gets applied to whatever item it gets applied to.  If you had had a struggle then the algorithm might then apply the sub-routine that determines what number occupies that variable and would override whatever had been there.  

You killed the wolf so no struggle.  When the game then runs through its programming post encounter, it skips the now much condition was reduced sub-routine, and  if the condition loss variable is not ZERO (for any reason, i.e. it was not cleared) it gets applied to whatever item the algorithm happens to fall upon.  So perhaps somewhere in the algorithm even when dropping an item on the floor/snow there is a condition reduction variable that should be ZERO but if it is not then condition get reduced anyway by that random number.  

:(

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2023 at 11:59 PM, UTC-10 said:

There seems to always have been the occasional problem with loss of condition for things like the bearskin bedroll.  I have not seen it but do not doubt that it can happen.  

I have noticed and reported a separate issue with erratic and sometimes substantial condition loss for medical items such as antibiotics, pain killers, and water purification tablets.  Don't know or think they would be related but seeing water purification tablets go from 24% condition to 0% condition in coming down Timberwolf from Eric's Falls to Mountaineer Hut is a bit much.  Crossing a transition, dropping on the floor, moving from one medical shelf to another medical shelf in the same farmhouse all trigger (usually) some degradation of condition.  Once it has been degraded condition loss seems to stabilize until the next time.  

Yeah this happened to me with painkillers just now. Went from roughly 30% down to 2%. I rarely use painkillers anyway so hasn't bothered me too much.

Also, in regards to the bearskin bedroll (most players probably know this already) I was only able to repair 55% with 1 cured hide. However, harvesting the bedroll gave me a bear skin hide and therefore I harvested and made a fresh bedroll to 100%. Useful tip for b.s. bedroll players to save some hide

32 minutes ago, Robbiieeee said:

Also, in regards to the bearskin bedroll (most players probably know this already) I was only able to repair 55% with 1 cured hide. However, harvesting the bedroll gave me a bear skin hide and therefore I harvested and made a fresh bedroll to 100%. Useful tip for b.s. bedroll players to save some hide

Just curious, what advantage is there harvesting and creating a new one vs repairing your old 45% one to 100%?  Much less time to repair vs create new, right?

If you plan on using it until it hits 1%, then harvesting, I can see the advantage.

(Just checked in game)  Crafting a new bearskin bedroll would require two cured bearskins, five cloth, and six cured gut plus a knife or hatchet, harvesting a 45% bedroll to get one bearskin then crafting a new one looks to be a losing proposition considering a mend would take one bear skin and one cloth. 

I recall that for awhile a bedroll would need one bear skin, among other things, but that seems to have been "fixed".

Mending the bedroll maxes out at 62.5% IIRC (50% plus 12.5 % which would be the bonus of 25% due to sewing skill).  

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

I recall that for awhile a bedroll would need one bear skin, among other things, but that seems to have been "fixed".

Glad I took advantage of that to fashion 3 bedrolls while I could!  Wonder when they squeezed that hotfix in there...?

Edited by hozz1235

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Just curious, what advantage is there harvesting and creating a new one vs repairing your old 45% one to 100%?  Much less time to repair vs create new, right?

If you plan on using it until it hits 1%, then harvesting, I can see the advantage.

From 45% it would make sense to use the repair option. However mine was on 23%. So harvesting and then creating a new roll was more efficient in terms of the condition. The 17 hours crafting time with a hunting knife is the trade off though