Massive reduction in bearskin beadroll durability?

past caring

Anyone else seeing this?

I've just spent 3 nights sleeping in the cave at Mystery Lake (the one at the foot of the rope climb close to the lake itself*). Before sleeping I repaired it to 100%. I've just walked to Carter and I'm sorting my gear ready to make the journey to my main base at PV Farmhouse - the bearskin bedroll is now at 53%!! And for the avoidance of doubt, I've not had a wildlife attack whilst carrying the roll. Surely this can't be right?

* - Not that the location is important. I had noticed over the past couple of weeks in other maps that the bearskin bedroll appeared to be deteriorating more quickly than appeared right. But nothing quite as dramatic as this.

• Upvote 2

@NickBeast17 - thanks, and interesting.

There's a post on the 2nd page of that thread from @AdamvR;

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments!
I've mentioned it to support, and received their response that they had heard of this before but could not replicate it on their end...
I tested out today morning, and was able to identify the exact conditions for replication (I did manage to replicate it 3 times in a row in Forlorn Muskeg - backing up and reloading the same starting point) my bedroll went down from 69% to 10%, 41% and 31%, likely in line with the damage taken during or the duration of the struggle.
To replicate:
1) you need to place the bedroll in a cave
2) spend time in it / sleep in it (this is important even after you reload a backed up save!, thus loading it back to the point after you wake up is not enough; if you are fully fresh, pass time in it after loading. When I did not pass time on my "reloaded" games, there was no damage to the bedroll)
3) aggro a wolf nearby, and when you go back to the cave the bedroll will have lower condition. (I did test it near and further out of the cave, also with / without clothes on)

if anyone could try and confirm that with these settings they could replicate it, that would be most reassuring.

(I've sent screenshots and save files to support, hope to hear from them soon - will update you on it)"

My emphasis in bold.

This is exactly what has happened to me. Obviously, in my original post I didn't think to mention that I'd had a tangle with a wolf (in fact, I had two) - because I couldn't see the relevance. The bedroll was in the cave and nowhere near the wolf encounter. But that seems to be the common factor.

I note there's nothing to indicate this got resolved - Hinterland did acknowledge it as an issue, in as much as it is not WAD.

• Upvote 1

I have seen this a few times with the bear bedroll & was actually bummed after taking the time to craft it and then have it deteriorate so quickly. Have only bothered to make one since.

But I just had a similar situation with a regular bedroll up on the Summit at TWM. Did not tangle with a wolf, but I left the bedroll (which was over 90%) in the tail section when I ran out to quickly grab some sticks & fir wood during a blizzard (which lasted about a half-day) - I slept, re-fed the fire,  passed some time in it, then slept again before heading out in clear weather - when I picked the bedroll up, it was at 20%! Had to change my strategy and head straight back to Mountaineer's Hut because I wasn't carrying a sewing kit. I thought it was perhaps leaving it laid out during bad weather, even tho it was technically inside the shelter of the tail section?

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2022 at 10:52 PM, Admin said:

Hi all -- this is indeed a known issue, but we would be grateful for any additional saves, repro steps, or information you could send us. 

Please don't hesitate to file a ticket via our support portal so we can track this effectively: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us 

Thanks for your patience!

I'll create a save and send it next time I'm in Mystery Lake - only because that's how I can be pretty sure of replicating. But these steps ought to work;

- camp out in the cave at the south west corner of the lake
- leave bearskin bedroll in the cave (preferably deployed/unrolled)
- go and aggro a nearby wolf
- retreat slowly towards the cave so the actual struggle takes place in the vicinity of the cave
- bedroll will instantly deteriorate by some 30% +

On 1/27/2022 at 10:13 AM, past caring said:

- retreat slowly towards the cave so the actual struggle takes place in the vicinity of the cave

That is a similar description to problems I experienced in HRV several times.

Usually I wasn't particularly close to the cave and often the damage was greater than 30%.   It was as if I had been carrying the bedroll with me when I was attacked by the wolf/bear.

@peteloud - sure. Was only trying to say the damage is at least 30%. And others have said they had the problem when the struggle happens in the vicinity of the cave, which has also been my experience, but it isn't to say the problem doesn't also happen if you're further away - it may well happen, I've just been lucky not to have experienced that yet.

I am surprised that this problem still exists.  Years ago I reported this problem in great detail.  Someone else did too. 

Now that we are nearing the end of TLD I can understand if HTL does not put much effort into solving problems. I actually agree with their strategy, if I am correct.  I'd rather see HTL put their efforts into their next game. 

That, once again, starts me wondering what are HTL is working on now?  In a recent posting I suggested a sequel to TLD based upon the current topography, or very close to it, with buildings and caves in different positions and a some new features and resources.  Developing such a sequel would require one tenth of the resources, and costs, that were required to develop the TLD.

However I feel sure that HTL has something much better than that being developed.  I naturally tend to think of a similar survival games, but now that they have a great team with excellent experience and skills, they could try something more imaginative. 

What will come next from HTL?

I haven't seen any instance of a major reduction in condition from ordinary use of a bearskin bedroll though, in this case, I am using it within an interior cave location.  I typically, being in Pilgrim, do not have a need for the warmth of the bearskin bedroll and don't care to sacrifice the weight capacity for a piece of gear I would not need.  

I do not doubt that instances like losing significant amounts of condition from the bedroll occur.  I just have not seen it in my limited use of one. 

5 hours ago, Master_Arne said:

Same. Was in a cav in FM. The bearskin bedroll was just above 90% condition. Then I slep, the game saved & when I woke up, the conditon was 0%

That's interesting.  All of my unrealistic deteriorationss of my bedroll in a cave, were all linked to having slept in the bedroll, gone outside and been attacked by a wolf or bear.  To me it seemed as if I was carrying the bedroll when I was attacked. This led me wonder could it be a flag that indicated I was still carrying the bedroll had not been reset. ( I have done no work with Unity so I am unfamiliar with coding in Unity.)  So your experience means that my thoughts were completely wrong.

Addendum

After writing  that I am not familar with coding in Unity it made me think about when I last wrote a bit of serious code.  It was a long time ago.  There can't be many people playing TLD who cut their teeth on punched cards.  It seems like yesterday.

Edited by peteloud

1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Just recently I had a normal (blue) bedroll go from nearly 100%, to 25% very shortly after a wolf attack.  I was carrying the bedroll at the time, and I don't believe I had even used it that day.  Not 100% on that point, though.

I'm pretty sure that condition loss during a struggle is basically a dice roll.  The odds of getting a bad roll increase with difficulty, but are still possible on any difficulty.  What items also get hit are also a dice roll.  The longer the struggle goes on, the odds of more items taking more damage also increases, but it is still a dice roll.  Looks like the RNG gods were just not particularly kind to you.  It could have been worse though... I have had items in 100% or near 100% condition become Ruined in a single struggle.  It's rare, but it's not impossible.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I have had items in 100% or near 100% condition become Ruined in a single struggle.  It's rare, but it's not impossible.

Anything other than bedrolls and clothing?  I have not noticed anything else get damaged in this way (but that doesn't mean it didn't happen)

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat
clarity

5 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Anything other than bedrolls and clothing?  I have not noticed anything else get damaged in this way (but that doesn't mean it didn't happen)

The odds are certainly much higher with bedrolls and clothing than anything else.  The odds on the ear wraps getting hit are particularly high.  I did have a mag lens get ruined in a struggle once, but it was not at 100% when the struggle started... more like 20%.

Also, I only really take note of the items that get ruined in a struggle and probably wouldn't notice items that just take some damage unless that damage takes the item from the "white" condition into the "yellow" zone.

Generally, my bedrolls decay from use rather rapidly... but that's generally because I do tend to sleep in 2 hour increments when I'm sleeping outdoors... increasing the number of recorded uses in a single night.

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

. . . I do tend to sleep in 2 hour increments when I'm sleeping outdoors... increasing the number of recorded uses in a single night.

That is something I had never thought about.  When I am sleeping in very cold conditions I tend to sleep in short increments in case the temperature drops and I freeze.  I must think about it more carefully in future.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:13 AM, past caring said:

I'll create a save and send it next time I'm in Mystery Lake - only because that's how I can be pretty sure of replicating. But these steps ought to work;

Thank you. We appreciate your help! 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 11:52 PM, Admin said:

Hi all -- this is indeed a known issue, but we would be grateful for any additional saves, repro steps, or information you could send us. 

Please don't hesitate to file a ticket via our support portal so we can track this effectively: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us 

Thanks for your patience!

Dear @Admin,

I've provided your colleague with fully reproducible steps and saves, we had quite a lengthy discussion actually, and he acknolwedged that he could reproduce it, thanked very much for it and said he and would pass over to be repaired.
I can forward you the entire conversation and files again, if it may have gotten lost in the meantime... (this was many months back in 2021).
Let me know!
Adam

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread but just want to inform people this issue still exists. 

*slight spoilers for bear skin bed roll location below*

On your way to the new Airfield region you can find yourself a bearskin bedroll. I found it at roughly 49% condition if I remember properly. I have been in the airfield for a few days now and I hunted a bear to repair the bed roll. Using it for an in game week took it down to 35%.  

I accidentaly left my bed roll outside overnight and came back in the morning and it is down to 22%. It lost 13% overnight just being left on the floor.

I love the bearskin bedroll but it is truly troublesome to use. Not even sure if this hide will repair it enough to make it worthwhile as I my bearskin coat has just hit 90% and I have had that for over an in game month! 

That being said, the new region is really cold and blizzards last a long time and are frequent. I'm sure the bearskin bed roll will come in clutch to interloper players as on my custom (between stalker and loper) temps at this region have been as low as -51°c 

There seems to always have been the occasional problem with loss of condition for things like the bearskin bedroll.  I have not seen it but do not doubt that it can happen.  

I have noticed and reported a separate issue with erratic and sometimes substantial condition loss for medical items such as antibiotics, pain killers, and water purification tablets.  Don't know or think they would be related but seeing water purification tablets go from 24% condition to 0% condition in coming down Timberwolf from Eric's Falls to Mountaineer Hut is a bit much.  Crossing a transition, dropping on the floor, moving from one medical shelf to another medical shelf in the same farmhouse all trigger (usually) some degradation of condition.  Once it has been degraded condition loss seems to stabilize until the next time.