Vanishing frozen corpse

stmSantana

There was a similar post on the Survival Mode forum, but loading the scene makes the frozen corpse disappear.
In other words, suppose you see a corpse and then enter a cave, a house, etc. Then, when you go outside, it's gone.
This problem is most famous for corpses holding the key to Milton's farmhouse, but it also occurs elsewhere.
For example, start the game in Pleasant Valley and go to the plane accident site immediately. There are many corpses.
But then (or by then) when you enter a farmhouse, basement, etc. and then go out, the corpse is gone.
This means that once you enter a region with a corpse that is likely to have the item you want, you have to go there without detouring to another house.
This bug, combined with the early rot problem of the placed deer carcasses, makes the current game more difficult.

Yes, I've noticed this a few times as well. I started a recent playthrough in mountain town. Typically, the paradise farms house key spawns on a corpse behind the house or in the barn nearby. However, the corpse didn't spawn and the key didn't spawn anywhere in mountain town, so I had to skip searching that house. And my playthrough didn't spawn any corpses at the pleasant valley crash site. Which I don't think has occurred before. 

4 minutes ago, panda_gamer87 said:

Yes, I've noticed this a few times as well. I started a recent playthrough in mountain town. Typically, the paradise farms house key spawns on a corpse behind the house or in the barn nearby. However, the corpse didn't spawn and the key didn't spawn anywhere in mountain town, so I had to skip searching that house. And my playthrough didn't spawn any corpses at the pleasant valley crash site. Which I don't think has occurred before. 

Same here at the crash site on last two saves.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:48 PM, Leeanda said:

Same here at the crash site on last two saves.

Yeah same here, just gone to harvest feathers from the plane wreckage and all the corpses have vanished.

More unsettlingly, onboard The Riken, the corpse was there propped against the bulkhead whilst I was crafting arrowheads at the forge ... After sleeping upstairs I returned to find ... Nothing. Creeped me out. Like the undead sucker had just wandered off 😬😄

3 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yeah same here, just gone to harvest feathers from the plane wreckage and all the corpses have vanished.

More unsettlingly, onboard The Riken, the corpse was there propped against the bulkhead whilst I was crafting arrowheads at the forge ... After sleeping upstairs I returned to find ... Nothing. Creeped me out. Like the undead sucker had just wandered off 😬😄

Don't say that! My Astrid is sleeping in there right now🙂 Apparently alone.....

• Like 1

Oddly this didn't affect me, the only thing that dissapears are the carcasses.

However i was in a cave in Milton (near the spruce bridge and the crashed plane), fully searched it and went to sleep in it.

After the night of sleep i went back to the exit only to find a dead wolf carcass with the open wound like in deer carcasses. Worst thing i couldn't harvest it because it was ''in a bad state''.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently come across three new corpses on my travels. Is this normal? I'm okay with them disappearing to be honest, but after 1300 days it's kind of disturbing to find new ones on well-trodden paths. Especially within the last couple of in-game weeks. Two in Mystery Lake and one in the Coastal Highway region. Makes me think that maybe I'm not so alone out there ... 😱😄

Edited by Matt Lomax

10 hours ago, Matt Lomax said:

I've recently come across three new corpses on my travels. Is this normal? I'm okay with them disappearing to be honest, but after 1300 days it's kind of disturbing to find new ones on well-trodden paths. Especially within the last couple of in-game weeks. Two in Mystery Lake and one in the Coastal Highway region. Makes me think that maybe I'm not so alone out there ... 😱😄

Well, maybe there's hope that the missing corpses in my saves might one day reappear... doubt they'll have my spare tin cans on them though.

Had this happen with a corpse on the cliff-side just below Lonely Lighthouse (DP).

Crows were flying overhead, so I peeked over and saw the corpse. Have never seen a corpse in that spot before, but I know they can be random. Went into the lighthouse to dump some gear, came back out immediately and the corpse was gone, leaving behind only his jaunty red scarf and a nice sharp hunting knife.

Edited by twyn1
clarification
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Well, maybe there's hope that the missing corpses in my saves might one day reappear... doubt they'll have my spare tin cans on them though.

Yeah that sucks if you'd stored things on them, theft from beyond the grave. I know they're a good source of crow feathers, but I've been wanting an option to bury them for a while so I don't mind them vanishing really. If it was real life I wouldn't have the heart to just leave them lying around; I'd at least cook a few ... Joking, of course 😄

Twyn1 - Well at least I'm not alone in discovering new corpses, kind of creepy at Desolation Point. You sure he was dead and not just snoozing, surrounded by his pet crows? 😜 Least he left you some goodies, you obviously got the generous undead unlike UpUpAway95. One at Mystery Lake actually had a new rifle with 1 bullet in, wondering if the wolves got him before he took care of himself 😫

2 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yeah that sucks if you'd stored things on them, theft from beyond the grave. I know they're a good source of crow feathers, but I've been wanting an option to bury them for a while so I don't mind them vanishing really. If it was real life I wouldn't have the heart to just leave them lying around; I'd at least cook a few ... Joking, of course 😄

Twyn1 - Well at least I'm not alone in discovering new corpses, kind of creepy at Desolation Point. You sure he was dead and not just snoozing, surrounded by his pet crows? 😜 Least he left you some goodies, you obviously got the generous undead unlike UpUpAway95. One at Mystery Lake actually had a new rifle with 1 bullet in, wondering if the wolves got him before he took care of himself 😫

There's a Wish List thread going about have them vanish only after they are looted/investigated by the player... much like the deer carcasses used to work.  I'm OK with that even though it means I'd have to adapt my "storage" habits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

There's a Wish List thread going about have them vanish only after they are looted/investigated by the player... much like the deer carcasses used to work.  I'm OK with that even though it means I'd have to adapt my "storage" habits.

Yeah that's a good idea, I like the sound of that. I think it'd be nice if you could use stone mounds to mark their graves after you've buried them, could also double up as storage spaces. Beats stuffing dead fish in corpses' pockets which I admit to having done a few times 😬😄

Edited by Matt Lomax
Forgot an apostrophe

5 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yeah that's a good idea, I like the sound of that. I think it'd be nice if you could use stone mounds to mark their graves after you've buried them, could also double up as storage spaces. Beats stuffing dead fish in corpses' pockets which I admit to having done a few times 😬😄

That's a great idea - perhaps a smaller rock cairn where you could tie a bandage as a ribbon (similar to the kickstarter message rock cairns we find scattered in the earlier regions but that are not being added to the new regions).  In a way, I would feel like we would be honoring the people to contributed to starting this great game every time we erected one then.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

That's a great idea - perhaps a smaller rock cairn where you could tie a bandage as a ribbon (similar to the kickstarter message rock cairns we find scattered in the earlier regions but that are not being added to the new regions).  In a way, I would feel like we would be honoring the people to contributed to starting this great game every time we erected one then.

Perfect 👍 It's a game I find evokes strong emotion and that would be a fitting sentiment with the ribbon. Love it.