Interloper starting in Black Rock

turtle777

Been trying to get things off the ground in Black Rock on Interloper.

This is pretty challenging unless you know guaranteed spawn locations for matches.

The wolves are brutal. Few oddities I noticed:

• Blizzards are NOT a guaranteed wolf-free environment. I have never seen wolves roaming and attacking during blizzards, but had it happen here.
  • Wolves getting into the maintenance yard within the prison - I have never seen this in Stalker
  • Wolves attacking you even with burning torch

-t

14 hours ago, turtle777 said:

Got a torch in my hand, wolf stops, growls at me for 10 seconds, and then attacks.

Yes it seems to be a bit random, I could scare off many wolves by just standing there with a torch in hand, even from a deer it was eating. Othertimes I got attacked after a few seconds. Not sure if dropping the torch and switching to a weapon would've made a difference.

However when I was packing meat I was attacked almost immediately with a torch in hand, when you smell the behaviour seems to be differently.

15 hours ago, The Lord of the Long Dark said:

Yep all those are absolutely true however the wolves attacking with a torch is probably more you. 
  It’s important to remember a few things about wolves and fire in interloper (may apply to the easy levels too but I only play interloper) 

first- the wolf has to see the fire ahead of time to react to it. That’s why sometimes if you place a fire by a hill or around a corner the wolf just attacks right through it. Same with torches. Climb a hill just as a wolf is there he won’t see the fire in time and attacks.  This is the most common reason for wolf attacks even with torch/fire.

Second. If the wolf does pause for fire it’s only a fixed time. Wait to long and yeah they either run or attack. Act quickly with the rock or weapon to scare them off.  Approach the wolf with a torch without scaring him and he is more likely to attack. 
  Finally remember all bets are off during aurora.  If you were attacked during aurora- yeah that is gonna happen. Aurora wolves don’t care about fire at all. 

Can I ask you a question since you have a lot of experience on IL?

I know the drop torch aim rock trick for scaring off wolves. It seems to work 100%.

First Q: Can I am my bow and arrow instead of aiming a rock and will it have the same effect?

Second Q: Another method to scare wolves is to throw the torch at them after they’ve begun their charge. This used to work 100% for me, or so I thought. However recently I’ve noticed that sometimes the wolf will stop their charge in front of the torch and start growling at me. This seems to be the case especially when I’m overencumbered. If this happens, and the wolf starts growling at the thrown torch, I presume I can just take out a rock and aim at them and they’ll flee?