Multiplayer probably wouldn’t work but I think it’s a cool idea

Ogger

@Ogger

I think it could work, but having any kind of routine encounters with other players would destroy the atmosphere.  I would think maybe one or two other players on the entire map (all regions).

I would hope encounters with other players would be rare and terrifying.  Imagine tracking another player in the snow, or hearing a distant gunshot.  There's also room for sacking other players' home bases, or laying an ambush with your Enfield to kill the robber(s).  Snares! Mantraps!  All sorts of possibilities.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Hinterland has said that they will not be adding multiplayer to The Long Dark, but with mod support, it's only a matter of time before a multiplayer mod comes out. 

There is already a mod (or more mods) out there for multiplayer, but it is not easy to set up and they probably break every time the game updates. It will probably be much easier once mod support is available. 

I would love to see multiplayer in a mod. It would be super fun. 

• Upvote 1

I would love multiplayer coop but the biggest hinderance to implementing it that I forsee is any mechanic which advances time...be it cooking, crafting, mending or sleeping... both players would either have to advance in time... or.... the advance mechanic would have to be removed altogether... or a system setup where if a player was to do a time advance mechanic the other player would receive an onscreen prompt to make a button press to allow the mechanic.

The only way I could see multiplayer being added was if a lot more indirect than the more traditional multiplayer. A good example of the this would be Subnautica's "Time Capsule" mechanic. A quick run down of what the Time Capsule in Subnautica was incase you don't know, when you complete the game, you are given the option to leave a Time Capsule for another player to find somewhere in the world. The Time Capsule would be filled with a few items, along with a message, and a picture to add a bit of personality to them. 

The Long Dark could have something similar. Perhaps in the world you can find an item called a "Empty Drop-off bag" There would only ever be one of these in a game world, and if you do find it, then when your character eventually dies, you are then given the option to use the Drop-off bag for another player to find. You can fill the bag with 5kg/11lbs of whatever you like. Along side this you could leave a message telling how you died, or leave an encouraging (or discouraging) message and a screenshot you took that life, or if you didn't take a screenshot, it could instead be a picture of the moment you died. The Players Drop-Off bag would then be left somewhere around where they died. So if they died in the Clearcut location in Mystery Lake, then the bag would be in that area.

Another thing is if you are playing on interloper, than you can't find Bags that contain items that don't spawn in interloper, such as firearms.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, APixelatedLemon said:

The only way I could see multiplayer being added was if a lot more indirect than the more traditional multiplayer. A good example of the this would be Subnautica's "Time Capsule" mechanic. A quick run down of what the Time Capsule in Subnautica was incase you don't know, when you complete the game, you are given the option to leave a Time Capsule for another player to find somewhere in the world. The Time Capsule would be filled with a few items, along with a message, and a picture to add a bit of personality to them. 

The Long Dark could have something similar. Perhaps in the world you can find an item called a "Empty Drop-off bag" There would only ever be one of these in a game world, and if you do find it, then when your character eventually dies, you are then given the option to use the Drop-off bag for another player to find. You can fill the bag with 5kg/11lbs of whatever you like. Along side this you could leave a message telling how you died, or leave an encouraging (or discouraging) message and a screenshot you took that life, or if you didn't take a screenshot, it could instead be a picture of the moment you died. The Players Drop-Off bag would then be left somewhere around where they died. So if they died in the Clearcut location in Mystery Lake, then the bag would be in that area.

Another thing is if you are playing on interloper, than you can't find Bags that contain items that don't spawn in interloper, such as firearms.

I really like this approach! It feels more indirect.

• 6 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, APixelatedLemon said:

This might actually work! It would give the feeling that we are not alone, while still avoiding the “that stick is mine!” paradox.

I personally think that for multiplayer to be added, it would be better presented as TLD2 or some such, in which its an entirely different location/cast of characters. Make it based loosely around a town, where a few of the inhabitants are having the same problem with the geomagnetic storm. As time goes on supplies get more sparse and you have to  work together to make it. Perhaps they’re hoping help will come, but slowly realize they’re on their own. 

Multiplayer always makes games better, even when it's made like complete garbage like dead space 2(or 3?) it still improves the game. I say that as someone who would only play with someone I know IRL.

Mods is the only way this will happen though. Hopefully once this game is finished some good ones can come out.

• 1 month later...

Personally I'm glad Hinterland have said multiplayer or co-op isn't going to be introduced to TLD. For me it goes against the whole premise of being a lone survivor. The solitude is for me at least one of the biggest strengths of the game. For the atmospheric and immersion value. 

Sadly I strongly disagree with you @odizzido. Multiplayer doesn't always improve a game. In fact I feel it often spoils it, with the amount of knob heads out there who ruin things for everyone else to copious technical issues. I've played many multiplayer and co-op games over the years and in my opinion the ones that work are those which are set up for it from the beginning or have an ethos which easily translates from single player to multi.

This iteration of TLD is all about surviving alone and therein lies the magic.

However that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see a Hinterland multiplayer or co-op game with a similar premise and world to TLD. That could be really fun and a welcome change to all the poor multiplayer games out there. It would be great to journey with a friend and survive together, and in a TLD style world it would be very different to everything else out there.

As @Lone Trekkersays, a "TLD2" with multiplayer and/or co-op would be an exciting game to play.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, odizzido said:

@Sgt SocksIf you're forced to play with knob heads then yes that would make the game worse. I typically play multiplayer games like TLD with just my brother.

Lol I agree with you here.  As long as it wasn't a forced random multiplayer, if you could play with someone or a few people of your choice, that would be pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love Survival Mode local co-op for Xbox. There is not enough good local coop games as it is. Local co-op would be awesome. My wife and I love this game. It would be amazing to share a survival experience and have to ration for two from our living room. I'll pay for this. $40.00 for this feature alone. 

• Upvote 1