What mods would you recommend for me?

Skelegutplays

Guest jeffpeng

The one mod I would recommend to actually really enhance gameplay is Hunger Revamped. But as @Digitalzombierightfully pointed out: we kinda need to know what kind of "experience" you are seeking. So my recommendation only really is for you if you seek a game that is more centered on actually getting your calories in (like a normal human would).

15 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

cosmetic only

Most mods affect the gameplay somehow. Even the candles aren't purely cosmetic.

But there are a few that could be what you're looking for.

"AmbientLights"; "Better Night Sky"; "Better Stacking"; "Binoculars"; "Fireworks"; "FoxCompanion" (if you don't use it to hunt for you); "FreeLookInCars"; "Pastime Reading"; "Placing Anywhere" (highly recommended); "Solitaire","Wooden Statuettes";"Working Clocks"

All others can make the game easier or more difficult. But no matter which mods you use, it doesn't affect the ingame difficulty rating. Mods are completely transparent to the game.

@Digitalzombie  Thanks.

I really like the looks of the statuettes mod, and the night sky.  Placing anywhere looks great.  It seems like both candles and ambient lights really address a deficiency in the game - i.e. that even in a small room, everything outside of a six foot radius from your fire is in complete darkness if it's night time.  Also, that it can be pitch black in an interior room, even though it's well past dawn and bright sun outside.

IMO, neither of those things should be the way they are, but they both affect the difficulty of the game as you say.  I guess I'm of a mixed mind about those two.  Kudos to the authors, though.  They look awesome.

• Upvote 1

@I_eat_only_wolf_meat

You get it, it's hard to integrate even stuff that makes most sense (candles) without completely destroying the balance. But you can offset stuff like that with a bit of discipline. Let's take the candles for example. First, they are not free. You still need to get the materials and craft them. The discpline comes into play when it comes to customization. There is (among others) one setting for the light range and one for the brightness of the light. Set it to lower values and then you only got "a bit more light" than normal.

I'd still recommend taking a look at other mods. They don't all make the game easier. "Relentless Night" is especially punishing. Though even that can be customized extensively. Or offset with mods that make the game easier in other areas again. Okay, I'm rambling but the goal is that you, as a player, can tune the game to your personal preferences in as much areas as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

@Skelegutplays,  I like the list that @Digitalzombie layed out for you.  I would also add "place from inventory" to the list.  
I currently use all the mods he mentioned because they don't affect the ingame difficulty but merely provide some improvements to the appearance of the environment or the items handling mechanics.  My favorite single most recommend mod is "place anywhere" because you can finally put stuff on the top shelf.  Oh, and let's not forget "remove clutter" which is now my second most favorite mod, cause now you can clean up all that pesky litter on the floor of your domicile.  Just cause I'm living in a cold winter apocalypse doesn't mean I want to leave trash all over my floors!  

• Upvote 2

On 1/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, Digitalzombie said:

Most mods affect the gameplay somehow. Even the candles aren't purely cosmetic.

But there are a few that could be what you're looking for.

"AmbientLights"; "Better Night Sky"; "Better Stacking"; "Binoculars"; "Fireworks"; "FoxCompanion" (if you don't use it to hunt for you); "FreeLookInCars"; "Pastime Reading"; "Placing Anywhere" (highly recommended); "Solitaire","Wooden Statuettes";"Working Clocks"

All others can make the game easier or more difficult. But no matter which mods you use, it doesn't affect the ingame difficulty rating. Mods are completely transparent to the game.

..awesome collection!

i´ve added candlelight, better bases, solitäre, house basements, indoor campfires, placing anywhere and refilling containers.

now i got 2 issues:

1. i cant open my door with left-mouse click anymore to get out

2. when i am carrying an lantern, and try to move objects, i can place my lantern somewhere, but cant pick it up again to me and my inventory.

any help please?

Thanks^^

Edited by feiercrack
typo

1 minute ago, feiercrack said:

..awesome collection!

i´ve added candlelight, better bases, solitäre, house basements, indoor campfires, placing anywhere and refilling containers.

now i got 2 issues:

1. i cant open my door with left-mouse click anymore to get out

2. when i am carrying an lantern, and try to move objects, i can place my lantern somewhere, but cant pick it up again to me and my inventory.

any help please?

Thanks^^

you need to look at your key bindings and action buttons.  some of these mods use the the same keys to activate of perform a task.  mods with the same key bindings will need to be adjusted so that functions no longer overlap.  check you mod component settings and look at which keys each mod use, make sure none use the same key and you should be golden.

yes, i just check the mod settings ingame. loaded only some of the mods, but cant find an solution.

now i only have loaded:

ambient lights, better night sky, binoculars, fireworks, fox companion, free look in cars, past time reading, wooden statues, and candlelight...

thoght that the moving stuff might conflict, so i didnt load them up. but still the same, cant use left mouse click to open door... weard....

8 minutes ago, feiercrack said:

yes, i just check the mod settings ingame. loaded only some of the mods, but cant find an solution.

now i only have loaded:

ambient lights, better night sky, binoculars, fireworks, fox companion, free look in cars, past time reading, wooden statues, and candlelight...

thoght that the moving stuff might conflict, so i didnt load them up. but still the same, cant use left mouse click to open door... weard....

only other suggestion is to make sure you've also downloaded all the required utility mods that help tie things together.  this might be redundant but you didnt mention if you downloaded and installed those necessary components.  I think there are close to 7 or so underlying utility mods that tie everything together

15 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

only other suggestion is to make sure you've also downloaded all the required utility mods that help tie things together.  this might be redundant but you didnt mention if you downloaded and installed those necessary components.  I think there are close to 7 or so underlying utility mods that tie everything together

yep, i did!

now i go  one after another, and see which one is the bad guy^^

update:

there was indeed one thing missing for the candlelight:

"Alternative Action Utilities"

Edited by feiercrack

Just now, feiercrack said:

yep, i did!

now i go  one by one, and see which one is the bad guy^^

Yeah, I had to do that as well.  My left mouse button stopped working and I was stuck indoors unable to interact with anything.  
I exited the game, closed the program and then restarted my computer.  Just to make sure that everything was starting out fresh.

I then launched a fresh start and looked at each mod checking for shared key bindings and found a couple.  After fixing those conflicts I resumed game play and tested each mod where and when I could to check for functionality.  At one point, I did empty my mod folder and would only add a single mod, launch then test before adding the next.    Cohesive Integration can be and is definitely a problem in some cases.    We are pretty fortunate that our mod makers are extremely competent and the majority of their work seems to integrate pretty seamlessly.  That being said, if you are unable to resolve your issue, you may want to go to the discord server and seek some assistance there as well.  

Good luck

3 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Yeah, I had to do that as well.  My left mouse button stopped working and I was stuck indoors unable to interact with anything.  
I exited the game, closed the program and then restarted my computer.  Just to make sure that everything was starting out fresh.

I then launched a fresh start and looked at each mod checking for shared key bindings and found a couple.  After fixing those conflicts I resumed game play and tested each mod where and when I could to check for functionality.  At one point, I did empty my mod folder and would only add a single mod, launch then test before adding the next.    Cohesive Integration can be and is definitely a problem in some cases.    We are pretty fortunate that our mod makers are extremely competent and the majority of their work seems to integrate pretty seamlessly.  That being said, if you are unable to resolve your issue, you may want to go to the discord server and seek some assistance there as well.  

Good luck

found it:

update:

there was indeed one thing missing for the candlelight:

"Alternative Action Utilities"

• 4 weeks later...

@Digitalzombie As I've recently hit 500 days interloper in the unmodded game and declared myself to be in the "nothing to prove" category, I installed some of the suggestions from this thread this morning.  As you say, they all affect game difficulty in some way.  That's OK.

• Candlelight - really outstanding.  Should be in the unmodified game
  • Ambient Lights - this fixed my worst long-standing gripe with the game: the fact that it could be a bright, sunny morning outside and I'd still be stumbling around in the dark inside a building, windows be damned.
  • Remove Clutter - very nice, and probably the only one that doesn't affect difficulty (if you don't enable the harvesting of materials)

Anyway, I'd like to thank the authors of these, and of course the authors of core dependencies like mod component, crafting revisions, localization, alternative actions, gear spawner, and mod settings.

Lovely work all around.

• Like 1