length of day

unclejace

I tend to view the game as happening in the spring, when you would have a 12-13 hour day. The Geo-magnetic event caused a rapid cooling, which explains why your character is under dressed for the cold, why some people were caught out in the elements and died of exposure, and why the rest of the population fled.

I'd love to have an option to have realistic day length. I'd probably not use it all the time though. I'd also like they day lengthen and shorten according to time of year as time passes, but of course I'd also like the weather to change with the seasons, which is probably as likely to happen as the game area to stretch all the way to the Caribbean.

... Also, if the game happens in the spring, would the ice-fishing cottages be out on the ice? (I've never seen such cottages, since around here all the ice fishers seem to drill a hole in the ice wherever.)

I'd love to have an option to have realistic day length. I'd probably not use it all the time though.

I think shorter/realistic days could be used as a way to increase the difficulty level. Maybe they days could get longer as a run goes along, making survival increasingly difficult.....then it would be called The Longer Dark :)

In places I have lived where people use ice fishing huts, there are regulations that specify the date when you must retrieve your hut. edit: this isn't very effective when there are no people to retrieve the huts :D

... Also, if the game happens in the spring, would the ice-fishing cottages be out on the ice? (I've never seen such cottages, since around here all the ice fishers seem to drill a hole in the ice wherever.)

In Northern BC ice breakup can happen in May. Probably earlier near the coast.

Were the ambient light modeled better during the night time I think you'd see more realism and the ability to travel at night. While vision isn't as good in man as a predator, it would be adequate for some base navigation. They might also be able to model an effect where if you stop and let you eyes adjust you can see things more clearly than if you move. I would enjoy and support that. Only on the darkest nights with no moon and deep cloud cover would there be too little light to travel at night.

Archived