No Sleeping Challenge - The YouTube Series

Glflegolas

Welcome to this unique series in The Long Dark! The goal here is to survive for as long as possible in Voyageur difficulty. There's one unique twist though; no sleeping is permitted for any reason. I am thinking that I can survive around 14 days or so, but we shall see; maybe I can last considerably longer. Since this is an experiment, don't expect a ton of commentary throughout this series. My main reason for recording these videos is to show you my strategy when playing. Please feel free to try this challenge for yourself. And, as always, if I missed something, leave it down in the comments.

Here's Episode 1, in which I start in the Hushed River Valley and head for Mountain Town. I'm hoping that having the Moosehide Satchel and its improved carry weight will prove useful in my quest to survive.

For those of you who are asking: on camera (but not necessarily uploaded yet), I have been to Hushed River Valley, Mountain Town, The Ravine, Bleak Inlet, Forlorn Muskeg, Broken Railroad, Mystery Lake, and Winding River without sleeping a wink. ;)

Here is Episode 5:

Episode 6:

And Episode 7:

I'm enjoying this series and I like your style of commentary while playing. You have inspired me to start a new run with a Custom sandbox, using settings from Voyageur difficulty, but with the option 'Endless Night' enabled.

After a Random spawn, I've started in Mountain Town. It could have been worse, but after raiding half the town, I've only found one tin of coffee. So far I've survived one day, but it's trickier than I thought. Since I haven't found a storm lantern yet, and the night has been moonless so far, I need to constantly light matches if I want to explore or see where I'm going. And I only have 18 matches left. Still, I'm having fun. Cheers! :coffee:

• 3 months later...

I'm back! Due to excessive lag in Ash Canyon, I ended up doing a time-lapse of my walk to the goldmine, featuring music from the game. However, since then, I have upgraded my GPU, and get much better performance than ever! I have recorded an episode on the new GPU, and will be uploading that and the Ash Canyon montage within a few days.

P.S. I just might pick up a companion somewhere along the way. Staying awake at night can be such a lonely experience, don't you think? ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright - It's official. I have managed to visit every single region on Great Bear Island, without sleeping once! (YouTube videos of my feat will be uploaded over the coming days/weeks).

Now, I have a question for you. What should the end-goal of this series be?

To survive to 14 days? That's pretty much a given, as I'm on day 12 and still have enough coffee for ~4.5 to 5 more days, easily.

Trying to go to the bitter end... ehhh. That would likely end with me just staying put somewhere like Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway, eternally exhausted, surviving on bear meat and fish. It would be extremely repeditive, and I wouldn't really enjoy playing it, and I don't imagine you'd like watching it either.

Something else? This is what I've been leaning towards for the past little while now. My initial thought is to kill the moose on Monolith Lake using a revolver, as the moose doesn't spawn there often and will take a lot of ammo to take down. And I feel like that's a good excuse to finally earn a good night's sleep :). I could also kill Scruffy, but that's not very exciting.

Just call it quits here? I mean, I guess I could consider visiting every region on Great Bear without sleeping a victory condition in itself? Maybe it's time to start a new challenge.

Let me know your thoughts.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, Glflegolas said:

Alright - It's official. I have managed to visit every single region on Great Bear Island, without sleeping once! (YouTube videos of my feat will be uploaded over the coming days/weeks).

Wow, that's something.  Congrats!