Paradise Meadow's key missing?

Old Hermit

1 hour ago, RandomPlayer said:

I've been following this thread so I decided to launch a new game in Mountain Town.

Found the key on the dash of the truck.  no problem.

I'm on PC and honestly I'm starting to think this issue is strictly affecting console players.

Where did you start? Indoors or Outdoors?

Just ran a quick test of this, using Windows 10 on PC, with custom difficulty settings tuned to be mostly like Pilgrim.

Spawned in Mountain Town, outdoors behind the Church and above the farmhouse. Walked directly down to the shed, and found the corpse next to the big piece of Carter hardware, which had the key on it. Took the key, and put a bottle of disinfectant on the corpse, just to see what would happen. Proceeded directly to unlock the farmhouse and go inside. Immediately turned around, left the farmhouse, and walked back to the shed.

Corpse and bottle of disinfectant had disappeared. Did not confirm the disappearance of any other corpses or carcasses, but it definitely appears that if I had gone in any other building, there's every reason to suspect that corpse would have been gone and taken the key with it.

Willing to test parameters if that would be helpful. Might run some other tests today or tomorrow if I have time.

Did a little testing, a few runs around and to the Paradise Meadows farmhouse. A few quick takeaways:

- The corpse with the key seems to despawn consistently whenever a player enters a structure for the first time. This happens whether the key has been collected or not, and the disappearance of the corpse takes anything that was stored in the corpse's inventory with it. The corpse does NOT despawn when resting or sleeping next to the corpse, only when entering a building (and buildings used for this purpose were Grey Mother's house and the Paradise Meadows farmhouse).
- Other corpses that spawned in the immediate vicinity, at the Milton waterfall, at the burned-out school, at the small pond across the road from the school, at the hay storage, and on the ridge above the farmhouse did NOT despawn, regardless of their checked or unchecked status before or after resting, sleeping, or entering a building.
- Only observed one deer carcass spawn, between the farmhouse and the rope climb down into the basin. That carcass remained through resting and sleeping outdoors, and through entering and leaving the farmhouse. Did not despawn.

Next up, going to see if I can find a few corpses with Polaroids, to see if they persist or disappear, and under what conditions.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hawk said:

The issue is due to corpses of all kinds that are generated at the start of a game, or when you first enter a region. As of the latest game update, those corpses tend to despawn after entering a building and exiting - any building.

I hope that helps explain the problem. 😀

Actually it does.  In my recently launced game, I spawned outdoors and I never entered any buildings.  Also the key in my game was in the truck and not on a body so those circumstances never applied.  I now know what to look for so
I'm gonna attempt to trigger the bug the next time I play.
thanks again for the heads up!

Just did a quick run in Mystery Lake. Found the corpse by the isolated cabin, which had the Polaroid on it. Entered the cabin, came back out, and the corpse was still there. Not an exhaustive study so far, but initial indications suggest that the only corpse that routinely despawns is in fact the Paradise Meadows key corpse. Can anyone confirm disappearances of other corpses or carcasses?

On 3/31/2022 at 5:35 PM, Admin said:

We're getting quite close to releasing the update, Survivors. Thank you again for your patience.

Thank you very much for working on this! One question, when the bug is fixed, will the key be back in the current 'bugged' saves or will we need to start new ones to be able to access the farm? I apologise if this is a pretty stupid question, I was just wondering. 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:38 PM, Catlover said:

Thank you very much for working on this! One question, when the bug is fixed, will the key be back in the current 'bugged' saves or will we need to start new ones to be able to access the farm? I apologise if this is a pretty stupid question, I was just wondering. 

VERY pertinent question. I hope there are answers about this as well. I would think it wouldn't be terribly difficult to patch a key into a fixed position in all pre-existing (edit: Mountain Town) regions, say on the workbench or in the tool box in the shed, or in the glove box of the pickup, or maybe even directly into the player's inventory. Guarantees all players get the key no matter the previous state of the game, and just means that some players will have two keys in their game.

Edited by lorddrakenwode
Disambiguation
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, Catlover said:

21 hours ago, lorddrakenwode said:

VERY pertinent question. I hope there are answers about this as well. I would think it wouldn't be terribly difficult to patch a key into a fixed position in all pre-existing (edit: Mountain Town) regions, say on the workbench or in the tool box in the shed, or in the glove box of the pickup, or maybe even directly into the player's inventory. Guarantees all players get the key no matter the previous state of the game, and just means that some players will have two keys in their game.

After the update, the key should respawn and become accessible in your current game. Thanks again for your patience! 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

What update?? Is it the episode 5 update or the survival mode one after that? Just to let you know I have been playing the long dark in survival in black rock but I haven't got the new loading screen for some reason.

The fix update that's about due now - ISH! 

I found the key this morning on the corpse in the barn. Can't remember spawn starting point though!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

The fix update that's about due now - ISH! 

I found the key this morning on the corpse in the barn. Can't remember spawn starting point though!

Hopefully the fix will come out soon... got tired to being frustrated by it, so I stopped playing for the month altogether.  Checked the Updates section first, but saw no activity after around March 4th... should have known to come here for an indication... at least it seems to be that it will happen soon and that the key will respawn in saves already in progress.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Hopefully the fix will come out soon... got tired to being frustrated by it, so I stopped playing for the month altogether.  Checked the Updates section first, but saw no activity after around March 4th... should have known to come here for an indication... at least it seems to be that it will happen soon and that the key will respawn in saves already in progress.

Me too. Some of them are frustrating so sympathies with that. Let's hope it's not too far away. 

Edit ..I wrote this before I read the update news!🙂

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

Just now, UpUpAway95 said:

Don't worry... with my super slow internet connection, it'll probably be tomorrow morning before it's finished and I can play. 😀

🙂  Looking at that list it's going to take hours on Xbox even with good connection!🙂

Think I'm halfway down the list and haven't had any of those issues yet either!

• Upvote 1

Just now, BigWill079 said:

I ran into this bug last night, now I hear there's a fix today! Will the key generate if I already have a character in MT?

The admin has indicated that the key should respawn and be accessible in a current game, so I would say yes .

Even with this fix I'm still SOL for some reason. Nothing on the corpse by the hay, on the floor of the tractor, on the back shelves of the house, the mailbox. and not even in the pickup's glove box!

You think I could send my save file in somewhere?

8 minutes ago, BigWill079 said:

Even with this fix I'm still SOL for some reason. Nothing on the corpse by the hay, on the floor of the tractor, on the back shelves of the house, the mailbox. and not even in the pickup's glove box!

You think I could send my save file in somewhere?

Is there no corpse in the barn either?

• Upvote 1