Wish: Long Pleasant Valley animal respawn timer (30d+)

Scyzara

As Ryan has stated that the current lack of animal respawns in Pleasant valley is not by design but just a bug, I would like to share my thoughts about this issue with you and make some humble wish. :)

I'm aware that there have already been two other threads about this topic, but as some other players seem to share my point of view, if've decided to add this issue to the wishlist as it is of great importance to me.

For me, Pleasant valley is an awesome, really outstanding map and my favorite place to be.

I love the general map design with its vast central plain surrounded by mountains, the long distances you have to travel between natural shelters, the lack of inhabitable structures and thus the immense danger caused by blizzards.

To cut a long story short, I just love the way you have to plan each of your steps in Pleasant valley very thoroughly.

In my opinion, the current animal scarcity is an important aspect of this thorough planning.

V. 200 Pleasant Valley is just not like the other two maps where you can just sit in your base and wait for your daily wolf-deer-respawn in front of your doorstep. ;)

Instead, you have to venture further and further away from your base over time in order to find animals to hunt. And at some point, you'll realise that almost all of them are gone and you have to either brave the challenge of bear-hunting or live off fishing/rabbits (unless you want to move on to another map).

I love to take difficult decisions like this one - they just make the game much more immerse and fun to play for me. And they're probably the main reason why I prefer TLD so much over other survival games. (Not to mention that I very much appreciate the fact that the current system is way more realistic than an overnight-respawn^^).

Don't get me wrong, I very much understand the point of those players who oppose a complete lack of respawn. Regarding the black bears (there are only 4 bears and you need their fur to repair your bedroll) I even completely agree that respawns are important to add.

However, the lack of animal respawn we see in V. 200 Pleasant Valley adds so much to the unique atmosphere (tranquility, loneliness, danger of food shortage) of the map that I would very much dislike an animal respawn system similar to the ML or CH overnight-respawn.

Thus, I would like to make a humble wish and suggest a kind of compromise between "no respawns at all" and "overnight respawns". To be more precise, I would very much appreciate it if animals in Pleasant valley had a monthly (30d) or even longer respawn timer.

This might, in my opinion, please both kinds of players - those who love the tranquility and nature-focussed atmosphere of the current Pleasant valley and those who ask for animal respawns.

I don't know what you devs are currently planning for the PV animal respawn, maybe you even have something similar in mind like I wish for and this thread is completely pointless.^^

If this is the case, I'm sorry to waste your time reading my wall of text - it was just very important to me to give you my feedback about this issue as I love the current atmosphere of Pleasant valley so much. :)

Either way, keep up the good work, you're really doing great so far!

I'm in for that. Not just for the PV but also CH and ML and ever further maps. Make a globel module for it.

You begin the game with nothing scared of everything. In the beginning things are about surviving right now. Moment to moment. After a long battle you hopefully win things should slowly swipe the other way around. How to survive The Long Dark. The hunted become a little more the hunter.

The killing should give you more food with less weight. Make the food more valuable. And give you much more time. When will be the next time you find food?

About the re spawn. It shouldn't come fast and to many ad the same time instead its should come very slowly. And again stop making the wolfs standing static around the same patrol area. Make them wander around sole and in packs more rare to be seen then now.

I'm supporting this too. The longer animal respawn times will be fantastic. In CH you can just go out from base and get the wolf+deer combo. I like PV for its tranqulity and the need to go hunting far away from your base.

Then at least make it a year, because we can travel between maps, and in the future there will be more maps too, so if you done it right you wont be starved. And I love the idea of going far away from your homebase just to hunt a deer silently, totally worth it. The problem is that there are only about 15 round of bullets, and there are about 20 30 deer in one map, should increase the bullet, again. Of course i can kill a wolf the tarzan way easily if i say so myself. Normally when i stay in Rabbit island in Coatal Highway map, all i need is to go down and chase 2 deer to one wolf one by one then i will have a deer to myself, too easily. Now i will have to travel far, climbing high places, looking for them, many time is wasted, and there are time that when my food is running low and halleluja, 2 deer just right there, shoot them both(by the way i cheated so that i have more bullet, killed all animal in my map already) that was one hell of a experience to me, totally AWESOME. I feel like that is what they called hunting, compare to chasing deer to wolf.

As Ryan has stated that the current lack of animal respawns in Pleasant valley is not by design but just a bug, I would like to share my thoughts about this issue with you and make some humble wish. :)

I'm aware that there have already been two other threads about this topic, but as some other players seem to share my point of view, if've decided to add this issue to the wishlist as it is of great importance to me.

For me, Pleasant valley is an awesome, really outstanding map and my favorite place to be.

I love the general map design with its vast central plain surrounded by mountains, the long distances you have to travel between natural shelters, the lack of inhabitable structures and thus the immense danger caused by blizzards.

To cut a long story short, I just love the way you have to plan each of your steps in Pleasant valley very thoroughly.

In my opinion, the current animal scarcity is an important aspect of this thorough planning.

V. 200 Pleasant Valley is just not like the other two maps where you can just sit in your base and wait for your daily wolf-deer-respawn in front of your doorstep. ;)

Instead, you have to venture further and further away from your base over time in order to find animals to hunt. And at some point, you'll realise that almost all of them are gone and you have to either brave the challenge of bear-hunting or live off fishing/rabbits (unless you want to move on to another map).

I love to take difficult decisions like this one - they just make the game much more immerse and fun to play for me. And they're probably the main reason why I prefer TLD so much over other survival games. (Not to mention that I very much appreciate the fact that the current system is way more realistic than an overnight-respawn^^).

Don't get me wrong, I very much understand the point of those players who oppose a complete lack of respawn. Regarding the black bears (there are only 4 bears and you need their fur to repair your bedroll) I even completely agree that respawns are important to add.

However, the lack of animal respawn we see in V. 200 Pleasant Valley adds so much to the unique atmosphere (tranquility, loneliness, danger of food shortage) of the map that I would very much dislike an animal respawn system similar to the ML or CH overnight-respawn.

Thus, I would like to make a humble wish and suggest a kind of compromise between "no respawns at all" and "overnight respawns". To be more precise, I would very much appreciate it if animals in Pleasant valley had a monthly (30d) or even longer respawn timer.

This might, in my opinion, please both kinds of players - those who love the tranquility and nature-focussed atmosphere of the current Pleasant valley and those who ask for animal respawns.

I don't know what you devs are currently planning for the PV animal respawn, maybe you even have something similar in mind like I wish for and this thread is completely pointless.^^

If this is the case, I'm sorry to waste your time reading my wall of text - it was just very important to me to give you my feedback about this issue as I love the current atmosphere of Pleasant valley so much. :)

Either way, keep up the good work, you're really doing great so far!

Excellent, I also second this. Balancing this out for different players could be done via the difficulty settings - with Pilgrim mode having higher respawn rates and Stalker mode having lower respawn rates (at least for rabbits/deer). I would also like the wolves becoming more of a hazard over time, at least in Stalker mode. Maybe their aggressiveness could be linked to the abundance of other wildlife on the map? That would also bear an element of realism, as wolves become more dangerous when hungry. Aaand... this could solve the problem of a boring stretch in mid-game, when many players just huddle up in a base camp and sleep a lot to pass the time. I would find it totally thrilling if further on in the game wolves would be hanging around your favourite shelter in packs and make it really dangerous to slip in and out. Maybe there would come a time when you would HAVE to abandon your shelter and even wait for a blizzard to escape unseem with your most valuable items. Also, lower rabbit/deer respawn rates would force the player to make longer trips while foraging for food (as the OP has correctly pointed out). Excellent.

this is what I am hoping for that ryan ment when he said they are fixing it. A long respawn timer would be the perfect solution because right now there's one problem: why would you want to stay there after you killed all 4 bears and extinguished most of the wolves? With a respawn timer (I'd even say 20-25 days) for wolves and maybe 50-100 days for bears one could actually spend much longer periods on the map and still have a different experience then in CH, where all your food is just down the hill.

So definitely +1 :D

• 2 weeks later...

+1

... and to add some more to that:

- Yes for longer respawn timer (3 months? 6 months? 1 year?) for animals harvested and make it take into account those animals killed by wolves/bears. Balance this by decreasing the amount of calories wolves need per day and/or make them lie down and rest after feeding untill they're hungry again. During winter, wolves are usually resting or sleeping for hours, less than 100 m from their recent kills. One option would be making fishing easier and/or adding more edible resources for us to gather (berries, mushrooms, frozen fruits and vegetables etc.)

- Instead of a static timer for foraging wood while being outdoors, make it take into account the distance to nearest trees/forest + some expanding radius for foraging. E.g. if camping on a same spot longer periods of time, it would take longer to find some wood on each time You forage and even longer if there's not plenty of trees/forest nearby to begin with. Unless that's a new place and You haven't done any foraging for wood there previously. It should also take less calories to forage when there's plenty of trees/forest nearby and increase the amount of calories burned if it takes longer distances to gather that wood and travel back to Your camp carrying it.

- Make it impossible to gather snow indoors if there isn't any snow indoors. Carter Hydro Dam has a broken window that blows in some snow, so that's one example of a building where one could gather snow and melt it even if being indoors. Gathering some snow shouldn't be as time consuming as foraging wood, nor should it take as much calories as foraging for wood. So it wouldn't be too burdensome task to do, but would add some more realism for melting snow when You would actually have to gather that snow first.

• 3 months later...

+1 . YES PLEASE ! For me this is the only tuning which would make the game perfect. Actually rabbits respawn in 1d in PV. Rabbits spawn before my door of the farmhouse and with my snares I can survive infinitely with the magnifying glass. So there is no challenge.

Please adjust the respawntime of all animals 30d+ or even more in all regions. 60+. Please :-)

Archived