Arrow questions

Leeanda

I'm wondering how it works when using arrows, if you start with say 20 100% arrows then use three an equal amount of times. Why are those three  placed back in the inventory separately if they are the same percent? 

Also is there a way to choose which arrow you want to use without dropping all the others first? Or can you do that already and I  just haven't figured it out yet?🙂

If anyone can help with this it'd be much appreciated. 

I suspect that, in many cases, the game does not display the numbers after the decimal place.  It exists but does not show.  Likely 100% arrows are 100.00% arrows so stack. But what you cannot see with your three 74% arrows are the decimal place that makes them just different enough so they don't stack.  At least that's my guess. 

You may recall that people had problems getting 100% for clothing in all slots badge.  The game, for clothes, rounds the number so 77% + 22.5% = 100% not 99.5% because you cannot see it, but when looking for are all clothing at 100% it sees the 99.5% and says you haven't made it yet.  And you can't make a mend to fill in that last bit because the item is already at "100"%.

I know of no way to select any particular arrow without dropping the lower condition ones.  The game seems to default to the lowest condition arrow.  Works for me.  But I see your point.  

17 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I suspect that, in many cases, the game does not display the numbers after the decimal place.  It exists but does not show.  Likely 100% arrows are 100.00% arrows so stack. But what you cannot see with your three 74% arrows are the decimal place that makes them just different enough so they don't stack

.  At least that's my guess. 

You may recall that people had problems getting 100% for clothing in all slots badge.  The game, for clothes, rounds the number so 77% + 22.5% = 100% not 99.5% because you cannot see it, but when looking for are all clothing at 100% it sees the 99.5% and says you haven't made it yet.  And you can't make a mend to fill in that last bit because the item is already at "100"%.

I know of no way to select any particular arrow without dropping the lower condition ones.  The game seems to default to the lowest condition arrow.  Works for me.  But I see your point.  

I see ,thanks . That seems to make sense . 

I would prefer that I didn't have an inventory full up with individual arrows  though. Seems like a waste of space.

The devs have been experimenting with combining items (that would otherwise stack) with very slightly different condition, like 77% and 78% but not 79%.  It happened to matches and to rabbit hides and guts too.  I do not know the parameters the devs put into this "combining" of the same items with slightly differing conditions.  

I know that the game does show my lantern in inventory having 0.99 liters of lamp oil, but when I go to refuel it, it shows 1.00 liters.  Same with lantern fuel bottles on occasion.  I wonder if the same thing is happening.  Different parts of the game view the % and kg slightly differently.  :(

• Upvote 1

When I am hunting with my bow and killing rabbits, for example, after shooting a cpl arrows I run and pick them up, but when I do, I look at them for a second. That way it kind of reorganizes it so I’m using the arrow I examined( vs just clicking on it quickly). That way I only have 3 or so arrows in play that degrade and the rest are still at 100. Not sure if I’m explaining that right lol, but it works for me. 

• Upvote 1

I will have to check and see if any action that results, when one is done with it, like looking into inventory, with the bow is being reequipped and the lowest condition arrow then being automatically loaded.  I always kept holstering the bow (I am in Pilgrim) and then wielding it to ensure the lowest condition arrow was to be used.  Maybe that was no longer needed (or was never needed or not needed for a long time) as long as I did something that would normally mean putting the bow away or to one side then having the reequip it. 

In addition to what's already been said something to get in the habit of when clearing out wolf packs or hunting a herd of deer is after shooting your arrow, if it's a killshot, immediately retrieve it. Then put away your bow and immediately take it out again. This ensures that the lowest condition arrow is equipped again, and ready for your next wolf. Then kill your next target, go get the arrow, unequip/re-equip the bow, and keep going. You'll have your stack of 100% arrows, and that one arrow that's steadily wearing out. Then when it breaks, simply craft a new one and it'll stack with your other 100% arrows.

Eventually you won't land a killshot and you'll probably end up with two or more partially used arrows, but keep going with the unequip/re-equip strategy and those lowest condition ones will wear out in short order.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2