Request/Suggestion for new mod(s)

piddy3825

Guest jeffpeng
10 hours ago, Serenity said:

Obviously not going to happen. Most interiors are literally their own map. It's even very hard to completely remodel the houses now because many are larger on the inside than outside. It would be nice, but it's something we're stuck with for technical reasons.

But it's none the less interesting how BARK doesn't have these types of houses. I guess if they didn't have to care for the game still running on old consoles and legacy PC hardware with their limitations, those types of houses would be gone. Well, there's hoping for a new iteration of TLD.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:41 AM, reginaphalange said:

- peer through/open house windows to see weather outside (or somehow just click on it like opening a door but all it does is report the weather in a UI text)

Not exactly the same, but Ambient Lights aims to address this by coloring the ambience light and tweaking the lighting levels (including lightshafts) to reflect what's going on outside, clear daylight is more yellowish, cloudy is bluish, snowy is grayish and foggy is more green. Also lightshafts get more dim the more cloudy it is. It's subtle, but there's a noticeable difference between weathers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xpazeman said:

Not exactly the same, but Ambient Lights aims to address this by coloring the ambience light and tweaking the lighting levels (including lightshafts) to reflect what's going on outside, clear daylight is more yellowish, cloudy is bluish, snowy is grayish and foggy is more green. Also lightshafts get more dim the more cloudy it is. It's subtle, but there's a noticeable difference between weathers.

Ambient Lights is great if you are in an interior cell with the lighting effects inside altered by the conditions outside.  What I would like to see is the opposite effect with light streaming out of the interior cell into the outside environment, so if I have a roaring fire going in the fireplace, it would be cool to see a reddish/orangish hue from the outside window.  Same goes for having a hurrican lantern lighting up the inside, it would be nice to see "light" streaming from the interior casting some illumination around the exterior of the building and casting shadows.     

any chance y'all could make something like that possible?

btw, welcome to the forums!

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Just had a thought for an accessory mod: A caliper release. Consumes an Accessory slot, but while equipped you can draw back the bow indefinitely. It does not consume stamina.

Along those lines (accessories), I'd like to see a scent-proof bag as an accessory that would allow you to carry four pieces of meat / guts / fur without increasing your scent-meter.

13 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Along those lines (accessories), I'd like to see a scent-proof bag as an accessory that would allow you to carry four pieces of meat / guts / fur without increasing your scent-meter.

there's a moosehide bag mod that does just that.  it reduces the scent of cooked or uncooked meat, fish and guts.

its called MooseSatchelMod 1.2 by ttr

just in case you wanna check it out.

30 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Just had a thought for an accessory mod: A caliper release. Consumes an Accessory slot, but while equipped you can draw back the bow indefinitely. It does not consume stamina.

although I do like the idea, but aren't caliper release units used in archery designed more for compound bows and their extreme draw weight ratios?    
I have seen some competition archers use a release system on a long bow similar to what we use in game, but the 
device was more for accuracy rather than to minimize the effort required to keep the bow drawn.   

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I have seen some competition archers use a release system on a long bow similar to what we use in game, but the 
device was more for accuracy rather than to minimize the effort required to keep the bow drawn.   

Indeed. And crampons would increase your traction on ice, not increase the amount of time you can spend there. Gameplay balance!

I have a suggestion for a mod. A few, in fact! Here are some examples of mods I would like to see:

1: Hell's Kitchen Mod:

Currently, regardless of difficulty, the game tells us very clearly how long it will take to boil water, or to cook food, or how long the campfire will last (provided the wind doesn't blow it out). I would like to see a mod that turns those exact time limits, into 'best-guess' estimations. So imagine, a character with level 1 cooking, cooking a venison steak they harvested from the very first deer they've ever killed. They don't REALLY know how to tell if a steak is fully cooked or not.

Instead of the game telling the player: "30 minutes until cooked," it would say things like "Not done yet" and "looks cooked" and "you're pretty sure it's cooked" and the in-game asset will change from the raw model to the cooked model to reflect that... But it might NOT be fully cooked, resulting in the player eating an undercooked steak and potentially getting food poisoning.

The mod could even allow for a risk of overcooking, telling the player "it doesn't look ready yet" one minute, and then the next minute be an inedible husk of burnt carbon.

As the character's cooking skill upgrades, so too will their confidence in being able to tell when what they're cooking is safe to eat.

2. Improved Fire Mechanics Mod:

Currently, the player starts a fire and adds fuel willy nilly. The fire's duration is the sum total of the value of the fuel used multiplied by factors such as the player's fire starting skill and whether or not the fire is outdoors.

To improve upon this, an improved fire mechanics mod should make the following changes:

• Change the current system to one where the player builds a pyre in advance, and starts the fire by holding an ignition source to the pyre, tagging tinder plugs with a lit match/torch and hoping they ignite the rest of the fuel.
  • Base chance to succeed in starting a fire should be static regardless of firestarting skill. Instead, to increase chance of successfully starting a fire, tinder should be used. The higher the player's firestarting skill, the higher the chance that the tinder used will succeed in starting the fire.
  • Using sticks as fuel should not be as broken as it currently is. Fires should not be sustained with sticks alone, and should require fir, cedar, or coal, encouraging players to use their hatchets more often. Sticks are best used as a fire is starting, or to keep a dying fire from burning out; using sticks as fuel for a healthy fire will have no impact.
  • Fires occasionally require stoking to reinvigorate them. An unattended fire runs the risk of burning out early if not properly stoked.
  • Coal once again requires a fire to burn for 30 minutes before being a viable fuel source.
  • Fire must raise the "Feels Like" temperature to a minimum before food can be cooked or water can be boiled.
  • Player can use fire to heat up a knife, and use the heated up knife to cauterize a bleeding wound or clear infection risk, replacing it with Burn injury and hours of Pain, as well as a risk of passing out.

3. Pain Reminds You That You're Alive Mod:

The pain mechanic that currently exists in game is underwhelming, and if you're like me, you probably just push through it because you're a man and walking it off is what men do  it doesn't offer enough of a penalty to be concerned about.

Ideally, I would change Pain thusly:

• Pain as a result of a sprain would not change except that its timer does not start until the sprain is treated or healed.
  • Pain becomes relative to player condition. At 100%, character feels no pain and is not impeded. At 75% and below, character feels 'Minor pain.' The HUD effects of pain begin, and player actions take longer to complete. At 50% and below, character feels 'Significant pain,' giving the character a limp even if they have no leg injury, and further increasing the time penalty for actions. At 25% and below, character feels 'Significant pain' and is severely debilitated, unable to run, climb, and perform most time-sink actions at all.

4. Wilderness Butcher Mod:

I always thought it was weird that the character could surgically remove exact quantities of meat from a carcass, even at carcass harvesting skill level 1, like a world-class butcher. I would change it thusly:

• Carcasses no longer show their meat volume by mass. Instead, they show harvestable units of meat, from "small" to "large," and the player must cut them out individually. i.e. A deer carcass normally identifies as having 9.3 kg of meat, for example. What this mod would do is instead identify X number of 'small' cuts of meat, Y number of 'medium' cuts, and Z number of 'large' cuts, which need to be harvested out.
  • 'Small' cuts of meat never exceed 0.4 kg. 'Medium' cuts are between 0.4 kg and 0.8 kg. 'Large' cuts are between 0.9 kg and 1.3 kg.
  • As a character's Carcass Harvesting skill improves, it improves the chances of medium and large cuts appearing in a carcass.

This would make the meat quantities the player harvests, cooks, and eats more random, as opposed to being mostly uniform cuts of 1 kg. When I play the game I randomize this myself in my own way, by pressing ESC at random points during harvest to get steaks of variable mass.

5.  Water Container Mod:

It bothers me how the game just magically creates invisible water bottles for the character to store all their water in. When I play, I have a house rule that I never carry more than 2L of water on my character because it's reasonable to carry two 1L bottles with oneself. This mod would require the character to have containers to carry their water in. Also, being able to safely drink freshly boiled water? What?

• Recycled cans do not count as water containers, as they do not have a sealable lid. However, the character can drink water that has been boiled straight from a recycled can, provided it has been set aside to cool first.
  • Water now comes in multiple temperatures: Frozen (if left outside and unsheltered), Cold (safe to drink, reduces character's temperature slightly), Hot (safe to drink, provides Warming Up bonus), and Boiling (unsafe to drink, but can prevent frostbite to hands for 1 hour)
  • Water bottles can be found in the environment, commonly in 0.5L and 1L varieties, with luxurious 4L varieties found in areas of former civilization.
  • Containers have a chance to pop open and spill a portion of their contents when the player suffers a fall injury or when pounced by wildlife.

6. Passing Time Requires A Book Mod:

Get rid of the deck of cards. A mod that requires the character to use a book to pass the time would be awesome.

• Each book in the game comes with a set of hours that the character can make use of to pass the time.
  • Once a book is finished, it may not be used again to pass the time for 100 in-game days.

And that's all the suggestions off the top of my head. For now.

• Upvote 1

@GothSkunk, some pretty good ideas you have there.

I especially can relate to 1, 3 and 5.  

I really like the idea that cooking requires some involvement other than just throwing meat in a pot or laying it on a 
hot rock.  You'd still leave ample opportunity for a player to do some multi tasking but maybe just not with the ability to time the process as we are currently able to do.  

As to revamping the pain mechanic, I think it's brilliant.  As the players condition drops, the pain level should increase proportionally.  If I'm at 65% condition, I'm probably hurting pretty good.  Even if I haven't sprained an ankle or wrist, bumps and bruises that affect condition should probably reflect a pain condition, like fuzzy eyesight or decreased stamina or something.  At the very least, fatigue should probably increase proportionally to condition.  I can't image 
being at 50% condition and having a full energy meter.  At best stamina should be affected.  Imagine being half dead
and still having the stamina to climb up a long rope.  That at least would predicate a greater reliance on using energy drinks or coffee in order to complete certain activities.  

As to water bottles, yeah I agree whole heartedly.  I'd like to see a variety of refillable containers ranging from .5 liter to 4 liters that would have to be collected in order for water to be stored.  The stored water should also be subject to freezing if not kept on person and should potentially break when fallen upon, especially if the players fall resulted in multiple sprains, bruises and torn clothing.  Imagine carrying a two liter water jug in your jacket to keep it from freezing and subsequently falling on it and the jub ruptures!  getting your clothing soaked inside your jacket would probably have some negative consequences in extreme cold or when wind chill conditions apply.  At the vary least,
water stored on a shelf inside or outside in freezing conditions should probably freeze and require that it be remelted before being able to consume it.  Drinking warmed or hot water should probably also give the player a heat buff as well.

• Upvote 3

7. My Eyelashes Have Icicles mod

• A mod that adds a gradually intensifying ice crystal border around the player's FOV as their temperature drops.
  • If the character begins freezing (Hypothermia risk sets in), they begin to stagger around like they would if their condition was low, regardless of their current condition level. But, the staggering effect would not intensify unless their condition reached critical levels.

8.  Exhaustion Matters mod

• A mod that makes low fatigue an actual threat.
  • When player fatigue falls below 25%, in addition to the carry capacity penalty, the character also starts stumbling around as if they had critically low condition levels.
  • When player fatigue falls to 0%, character suffers random moments when their eyes close and they can't see anything, simulating the effect of "nodding off" for those who've ever experienced it in real life.
  • The longer the player goes without rest, the more frequent and intense the character's blackouts get
  • Player also runs the risk of character collapsing in place and falling asleep for an hour, placing them at risk to exposure and wildlife attack.

What one could consider first is: What do I want the mod to accomplish gameplaywise. Obviously adding thing A or thing B is a short time benefit. It will make the game slightly easier as a player power creep but will do little but drive need for thing c and d. 

Better to add some mechanics or meaning to drive new gameplay. To me some of the fundamentals could need some rework. 

• Meaning of indoor fireplaces: all the neat indoor fireplaces a rarely used because with few exemptions all buildings (and caves in interloper) are warm. It removes the one core survival need for warmth and firewood. Why? How about a heating up a house mechanic where the indoors starts slightly above outside (minus wind) and can be heatet. Would be cool if the roaring fire was a need and not a luxury.  
  • Meaning of searching: Many items have no real meaning despite them being so fleshed out in the game world. Different foods, cans and books, money, papers, letters etc. How about mental condition or diverse food need to drive the need for such items in the home base and the good feeling when finding them? 
  • Balancing outdoor fires: Outdoor fires are so insanely easy to make compared to real life its and immersion breaker. Wolf comming? Vupti  - fireplace makes out of the blue and in the 10 seconds you have a fire even with wind blowing somewhat. Outdoor fires should require some crafting and ressources as @GothSkunk suggested. And what's with the magic of pulling torches out of fires? 
  • Make fishing and trapping needed some times again: The gameworld is littered with cattails which require no cooking or ressources to eat (yikes dry😄). Stones can kill rabbits easy and deer are everywhere. This totally makes trapping and fishing void in any interloper game unless you have need for lamp oil.  Why not remove the stones mechanich with the rabbits. It's gamish and wierd to crouch shot stones while rabbits run around you in circles. And fish should be a mutch needed diversity of food.   

Just some considerations 

2 hours ago, Looper said:

What one could consider first is: What do I want the mod to accomplish gameplaywise. Obviously adding thing A or thing B is a short time benefit. It will make the game slightly easier as a player power creep but will do little but drive need for thing c and d. 

Better to add some mechanics or meaning to drive new gameplay. To me some of the fundamentals could need some rework. 

I can respect your ideas for trying to remake the game with improved mechanics that simulate real life conditions closer.  Maybe some tweaking of the custom game settings could be manipulated to give you those finer points that you seek.  However, it seems to me you want more of a survival simulator game based on real world conditions.  I honestly don't see the mod developers putting that much effort into rewriting the game in order to make that happen here.  But, if something of that magnitude were to made available as payable DLC, how much would you be willing to pay for that type of content?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, feiercrack said:

how´s about an 3rd person view?

and i miss the intro sound, directly after the start of the game,  from the early beginnings, a loooong time ago^^

would be great if Hinterland would work one day on an Co-Op dlc ^^

I too would love a 3rd person view.  One that changed with the garments that I wore.  Even if I could not navigate in game using 3rd person view, it would be cool to see what my character looked like.  

btw, there is group that does a co-op mod already, although the name of it currently escapes me.  you could probably google it and find it though, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I too would love a 3rd person view.  One that changed with the garments that I wore.  Even if I could not navigate in game using 3rd person view, it would be cool to see what my character looked like.  

btw, there is group that does a co-op mod already, although the name of it currently escapes me.  you could probably google it and find it though, right?

..just found that coop mod "SkyCoop" by Filigrani on Github^^

awesome, thanks!

but does anyone know, why the dev´s removed the intro / startup soundtrack --> "theme for the long dark" when the game loads? mine is quite silent when it starts with the aurora screen and that commercial for the doctors....

i liked it very much, cause it puts me in an slightly melancholic mood, just right to start playing! <3 

Edited by feiercrack

On 1/26/2022 at 2:26 AM, piddy3825 said:

I can respect your ideas for trying to remake the game with improved mechanics that simulate real life conditions closer.  Maybe some tweaking of the custom game settings could be manipulated to give you those finer points that you seek.  However, it seems to me you want more of a survival simulator game based on real world conditions.  I honestly don't see the mod developers putting that much effort into rewriting the game in order to make that happen here.  But, if something of that magnitude were to made available as payable DLC, how much would you be willing to pay for that type of content?

Good points. And maybe you are right. 

Actually its not so much the realism but the challenge. Many "unrealistic" things im fine with. Overaggressive wolves, the wierd being tired and hungry damage on so on - because its adding to the game challenge. 

If modding would strengthen the middle game challenge and add diversity (i.e. more purpose of running around to survive) I would pay good amounts. Interloper become a little stale at 50-70 days when you have all the gear.  

Imagine all your stocked supplies making a real difference. Imagine the succes when you must find an item to stay on survival - could be a book or some medicine - and you find it! Heureka! 

There could be some extra cold nights where you have to get a fire going inside - thus need firewoodstock.    

5 hours ago, Looper said:

Good points. And maybe you are right. 

Actually its not so much the realism but the challenge. Many "unrealistic" things im fine with. Overaggressive wolves, the wierd being tired and hungry damage on so on - because its adding to the game challenge. 

If modding would strengthen the middle game challenge and add diversity (i.e. more purpose of running around to survive) I would pay good amounts. Interloper become a little stale at 50-70 days when you have all the gear.  

Imagine all your stocked supplies making a real difference. Imagine the succes when you must find an item to stay on survival - could be a book or some medicine - and you find it! Heureka! 

There could be some extra cold nights where you have to get a fire going inside - thus need firewoodstock.    

I agree, after a certain period of gameplay the challenge is indeed somewhat mitigated regardless of difficulty level.  
Boredom in the long game becomes an all too real experience after all the players needs have been met.  I can just imagine some gaming company spending countless 1000's of hours to produce a "realistic" survival game simulator only to be told that their work isn't challenging enough!  Lol, but you know it would happen.  

I don't know about you, but I am eagerly waiting to see what comes out of this Hinterland/modding community collaboration when they release their first "sanctioned" cooperative effort.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I can just imagine some gaming company spending countless 1000's of hours to produce a "realistic" survival game simulator only to be told that their work isn't challenging enough!  Lol, but you know it would happen.  

I don't know about you, but I am eagerly waiting to see what comes out of this Hinterland/modding community collaboration when they release their first "sanctioned" cooperative effort.  

Well I certainly mean no putting down on hinterlands work. Balancing challenge such a game is extremely hard since so many variables are in play and new players should come on too. Theres a question of the games pace not being too tedious. Long dark is one of the most rewarding games simply because its not "on rails" and punish your bad decisions while rewarding the good ones. In most game now a days it doesn't really matter what choice you make - you end up  the same place :).

It has been the best money given for me and I would gladly pay more to extend survival mode. So even if I get nothing new im one happy player 😄.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Looper said:

Well I certainly mean no putting down on hinterlands work. Balancing challenge such a game is extremely hard since so many variables are in play and new players should come on too. Theres a question of the games pace not being too tedious. Long dark is one of the most rewarding games simply because its not "on rails" and punish your bad decisions while rewarding the good ones. In most game now a days it doesn't really matter what choice you make - you end up  the same place :).

It has been the best money given for me and I would gladly pay more to extend survival mode. So even if I get nothing new im one happy player 😄.  

well said!

It's certainly been the best money I've ever spent on a game and am still playing literally years after it's intitial release!
game on!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

VOIP MULTIPLAYER
we know that pure multiplayer or co-op is not gonna be thing in long dark cos of game systems,like sleeping,time skip etc...

but what if we just connect two players voips in game when specifig things have been filled?

like,  you have to find radio transmitter..(usually broken so need fixing)
need to be in specifig place with it to transmit your voip.
need aurora to work.
timewindow for conversation would be like 1 to 10 minutes.

its like,two people in different countries connect in silent apocalypse,just to exhance few words and then aurora stops and...
"call disconnected"

(yeah,i know that this is maybe impossible to make but would be fun)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe also this:

so got this idea in multiplayer thread.

you spawn in world as a first survivor. 
there is no frozen npc corpses in world(not yet)
your only task is to survive.
you can write journals,leave notes in places of your adventures,create your own survival hideout with your stuff...then pack of wolfs attacks you...you fight for your life but your body becomes frozen corpse near miltons church.game over.

then spawns next survivor in random place...he starts his adventure...now he can find first corpse at the church,or find first players notes,journals,hideouts...
but he dies also.

then comes next survivor and next and next and next...and after some amount of players,someone is last survivor...when he dies,group sandbox is over.
its not coop,its not multiplayer...players never play same time....

of course,there gonna be notes like...sniff my pants or some sort of that but for more adult and more serious gamers,would be something with the interaction:)

how this go technically point of view...maybe impossible:D

so after every survivor,the world is little bit different place...ofc loot would be default at start for every survivor but additional loot would be in different places...
...few notes on tables,notes on on dead survivors backpacks...
it would be so fun to find previous survivors corpse and took the loot,read notes...buffer memories would be also player made then. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am not familiar with programming and therefore do not know whether it is possible to create these modifications.

- sledge - to transport cargo or to drive downhill

- skis, skates - for faster movement

- creation of fences, barricades to protect against wild animals

- igloo - not just a hole in the snow

- fishing anywhere

- does meat laid on snow (ice) really have to spoil?

English is not my native language, so I apologize for "Google Translate"

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, kopo79 said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so got this idea in multiplayer thread.

you spawn in world as a first survivor. 
there is no frozen npc corpses in world(not yet)
your only task is to survive.
you can write journals,leave notes in places of your adventures,create your own survival hideout with your stuff...then pack of wolfs attacks you...you fight for your life but your body becomes frozen corpse near miltons church.game over.

then spawns next survivor in random place...he starts his adventure...now he can find first corpse at the church,or find first players notes,journals,hideouts...
but he dies also.

then comes next survivor and next and next and next...and after some amount of players,someone is last survivor...when he dies,group sandbox is over.
its not coop,its not multiplayer...players never play same time....

of course,there gonna be notes like...sniff my pants or some sort of that but for more adult and more serious gamers,would be something with the interaction:)

how this go technically point of view...maybe impossible:D

so after every survivor,the world is little bit different place...ofc loot would be default at start for every survivor but additional loot would be in different places...
...few notes on tables,notes on on dead survivors backpacks...
it would be so fun to find previous survivors corpse and took the loot,read notes...buffer memories would be also player made then. 

I'm kinda intrigued by the idea.  
I could see a quasi multiplayer open world where the number of active particpants is limited.   
The default mode being basically Voyager difficulty with mode but where players tend to be passive and the game play between players is basically limited to trade, or a Stalker(ish) setting where the world which is bit more combative and players may opt to trade or fight.   And then there would be Interloper mode where it's more like a FPS where the survivors always opt to kill  one another and take their stuff.   
Either way when a player died, their corpse would remain behind where ever they fell and belongings would be salvagable by anyone finding the remains.    With each player death a slot in the lobby would open and a new player could join the game in progress.  Players would play in this online universe for as long as they were able to stay alive or until they choose to log out.  Logging out would immediately kill the player where they stood and leave a corpse and all their belongings where they stood.   

I could get behind that, what do you think?

• Upvote 2

Interesting idea for sure.  
I've got a game called Savage Lands that is an open world swords and sorcery like survival game where it's kinda
winter all the time.  There are animals to hunt for food and such but of course there are also skeleton warriors and dragons too.  There is no permadeath like in TLD, but if your character is killed you respawn at a predetermined spawn point pf your choosing completely naked and unarmed leaving your fully clothed and equiped corpse laying on the ground where you died.  If you are not too far away, you can go and search for your corpse in hopes of retrieving your gear and possessions.    

I think finding another player's gear and looting the body would definitely bring an interesting twist to TLD if something like that was ever to be implemented.