Request/Suggestion for new mod(s)

piddy3825

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/9/2021 at 4:30 PM, Ghurcb said:

Using lit noisemakers to start a fire. I mean, you can use lit flares and torches so that would make perfect sence.

What could possibly go wrong?

"Some people just want to see the world burn."

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, thekillergreece said:

Assault rifles.

For legal reasons, this is a joke. I think.

That's the thing with modding. They put freaking assault rifles into Minecraft and Skyrim, for goodness sake 🤣 . Meaning: mods do not always improve a game ^^

Events, something that could make long term interesting but also quite challenging sometimes (meaning both positive and negative events).

For example:  emigrations of wildlife,  beachcombing crates, ''mother'' blizzard (like the one in whiteout), ecc...

Y'know, kinda like the events system from Rimworld.

But i think something like this could be really hard and time consuming.

Edited by A Lamp
e

9 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Assault rifles.

For legal reasons, this is a joke. I think.

That might have some validity, considering the prison wasn't guarding all those hardcore murders and rapists using old bolt action .303 hunting rifles...
but then it is Canada, Eh?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

That's the thing with modding. They put freaking assault rifles into Minecraft and Skyrim, for goodness sake 🤣 . Meaning: mods do not always improve a game ^^

lol, machine guns in Skyrim!  I guess those RavenHags are a lot tougher than they look?   ratattata 

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2021 at 2:45 PM, piddy3825 said:

That might have some validity, considering the prison wasn't guarding all those hardcore murders and rapists using old bolt action .303 hunting rifles...
but then it is Canada, Eh?

If I had to guess the guards would have used .50cal sniper rifles in the towers. For CQB, the guards would have used pump-action shotguns.

8 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

If I had to guess the guards would have used .50cal sniper rifles in the towers. For CQB, the guards would have used pump-action shotguns.

My friend is a corrections officer at a medium security state pen, and when he has tower duty they have AR-15s with .223 ammunition. The standing order if something breaks out is "Shoot to stop the activity." Whether or not you opt to fire a warning shot is up to the officer. They're authorized to do whatever you have to, as long as it stops the activity.

They also have pepper ball guns for use in de-escalating incidents. Basically airsoft guns that fire big balls of oleoresin capsicum that will absolutely ruin your day if you're caught in the cloud they produce on impact, but you'll live.

53 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

yeah, a .50cal would be some serious overkill, but I could see a .30-06 or maybe .300 winchester magnum.  Both are good hunting rifle calibers and would have excellent stopping power if fired upon inmates from one of the guard towers.  I'd have to agree with the pump action shot gun for crowd control.  It could also be used to fire some non-lethal rounds like bean bags or rubber slugs.  getting hit by something like at in close quarters would hurt like hell, but at least you'd live to talk about it.

42 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

They also have pepper ball guns for use in de-escalating incidents. Basically airsoft guns that fire big balls of oleoresin capsicum that will absolutely ruin your day if you're caught in the cloud they produce on impact, but you'll live.

yeah, the fumes of that can put a damper on the day for sure.  I was pan frying some steaks once for some dinner guests and decided to season them with a little Tabasco sauce.  I'd been drinking a little and my aim was a bit off and a huge amount splashed  on the hot pan instead of the meat.  The resulting vaporized hotsauce was like being maced!  yeah, I thought I was gonna need to be hospitalized that night...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

yeah, the fumes of that can put a damper on the day for sure.  I was pan frying some steaks once for some dinner guests and decided to season them with a little Tabasco sauce.  I'd been drinking a little and my aim was a bit off and a huge amount splashed  on the hot pan instead of the meat.  The resulting vaporized hotsauce was like being maced!  yeah, I thought I was gonna need to be hospitalized that night...

A mistake you only make once is dehydrating a crop of carolina reapers in your oven on a baking sheet. I bought a food dehydrator specifically so I can run an extension cord and dehydrate them outside the following season.

• Upvote 1

While I played come up with a few ideas I'd like to see in mods or game updates.
Maybe get myself in making these mods if I ever get into actually making mods for this game. But if someone wants to "steal" my ideas you're more than welcome to do that. It's why I share them.
Maybe the ideas already exist in for of mods. I just haven't looked around hard enough to find them. Please do tell.

1. The backpack.
    Have the ability to take the whole backpack off so one can get out and explore/survey the area without the need to carry everything or have to empty the backpack into a bunch of containers/floor somewhere.

2. Pockets.
    Clothes often have pockets. While one have taken the backpack off, one should still be able to carry some items depending on what pockets the clothes have. Military pants obviously have more slots than jeans do. Military coat sure have a lot of pockets which the windbreaker do not have.
    Perfect to carry a few bandages, painkillers and charcoal for when surveilling the area. Also useful to stuff the pockets with sticks and other small items.

3. Stuff that can be used in other areas:
    Cloth/fabric of various kinds are good as fire starters. Not just for repairing clothes and making bandages.
    Bandages can also be used as fire starters.
    Wrappings/packages from various food items works well as fire starters.

4. Plastic bags of various kinds.
    Meat do degrade too fast when outside imho. But I understand from a game mechanic perspective that it's shouldn't be "too easy".
    I'd love to store cooked or raw meat outside in the freeze. Understandably meat do turn bad even when frozen if it's not protected. That is where plastic bags would come in.
    Frozen meat (raw or cooked) in a sealed plastic bag lasts for a very long time when frozen.
    Idea: Two types of plastic bags: regular bags and sealable bags. The former won't last as long as the sealable one.
    Plastic bags are essential in I.R.L. survival. One can pack clothes and other items to protect them from moist and, in case one fall into waters. That way one always have a set of dry clothes and/or food items. I personally find it curious how all the matches survive every time I fall through the ice making me soaking wet all over. If it be real life, all matches should've been destroyed the moment they got in contact with water/moist. And that my crackers are still "cracking dry" after a "swim in the pond".
    Let's not make it that one finds plastic bags around every corner. Make it "lagom"

5. Making wind shelters.
    The ability to make wind shelters in game are lacking. We have the snow shelter but it has its limits.
    Another kind of wind shelter that give a bit more freedom than the snow shelter, is the bushcraft wind shelter.
    An angled flat surface that breaks up the wind protecting any camp fire you might have.
    Idea: Collect a bunch sticks, stones and cloth. Find a fir/ceder limb somewhere and with the menu option on the limb, convert the limb into a bushcraft wind shelter.
    Tools and items required: rope of some kind (maybe cured gut). Axe or saw. Sticks and a bunch of cloth.
    Result: if angled correctly, it breaks the wind making it easier to set up and maintain a fire. Not as insulating as the snow shelter.

6. Carrying large items.
    In wintermute story, one can carry persons although heavily weighed down and slowly.
    I'd like to see this game mechanic used in other scenarios:
    Carrying limps. Bundle a bunch of branches to carry. Carry small and medium boxes. Killed wolves/animals that aren't too heavy and not yet frozen.

7. More movable items.
    How many times have I wished I could move larger items around. Boxes, tables, chairs, desks ,etc.
    Existing game mechanic: Right-click an object in the game world, and one can move/carry it without putting into the backpack. Left-click to place it in the new location.
    Use this mechanic on larger items even if they cannot be placed in the backpack.

8. Electronics.
    This could be a large separate game-enhancing mod in itself.
    I know electronics are bust in the game story due to "electromagnetic reasons". But they still operate to some limited degree during auroras.
    Like metal scraps, have the ability to collect electronic scraps and rechargeable batteries from radios, laptops etc.
    How to use these?
    New craftable items in a separate category: Electronics:
    Rechargeable batteries found in laptops and maybe radios. (Think: 18650 cells)
    Aurora battery charger station: Charge battery cells during auroras for use in electronics later on when there no aurora in the sky. Holds a very limited charge and are not as efficient as it was before the "event".
    Enhanced flashlight: Can use charged batteries for use even when there's no aurora. Batteries can be replaced and recharged in the mentioned aurora charger station.
    Portable music player: Listen to music while you travel. Music sources: Cassettes found in the game. (There's actually cassette tape items in game already, although non interactable )
    Electronic lighter: Yet another source of ignition to start your camp fires.
    Electronic hand warmer mits: For a short time reduce the chill. Can be the difference between death and barely alive.
    Stun gun: Quickly stun the wolf that just attacked you. Struggle to get it into position and *zap*. Off the wolf go with the tail between the legs.

Edited by SysGhost
decluttering.
  • Upvote 1

On 12/17/2021 at 4:11 PM, thekillergreece said:

I would love to see Dog as companion to be honest. Fox exists but it's not same as Dog.

Waiting on Hinterlands plans on that one (technical perpective). I pretty much want to make it a general companion mod (no humans). Already got a few different models of other animals with animations that could fit nicely.

Until then, there will be additional customization options added (such as leg length, tail, muzzle) in one of the next updates. Which will bring you pretty damn close to a lot of dog races out there. It just isn't "called" dog :D

26 minutes ago, Digitalzombie said:

Waiting on Hinterlands plans on that one (technical perpective). I pretty much want to make it a general companion mod (no humans). Already got a few different models of other animals with animations that could fit nicely.

Until then, there will be additional customization options added (such as leg length, tail, muzzle) in one of the next updates. Which will bring you pretty damn close to a lot of dog races out there. It just isn't "called" dog :D

*hmmmm* ... Now I'd like to see "Dog" from Half Life 2.
Chasing wolves around. Tossing cars about. Wrecking up the Blackrock prison....

Obviously Dog would only be operational during auroras.

Edited by SysGhost

3 hours ago, Digitalzombie said:

I'm confuuuuuused.

Are you working on dog companion orrr animals in general? 

15 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Are you working on dog companion orrr animals in general? 

"Animal companion". Not working on it yet, though.

With the fox, the basic framework is pretty much prepared for that. I can add additional animals to choose from or (depending on my motivation) even integrate actual taming. Making animals in general, that are running around the world without the player, is not that interesting to me.

37 minutes ago, Digitalzombie said:

"Animal companion". Not working on it yet, though.

With the fox, the basic framework is pretty much prepared for that. I can add additional animals to choose from or (depending on my motivation) even integrate actual taming. Making animals in general, that are running around the world without the player, is not that interesting to me.

Yeah, that's understandable. I just would love to see a dog as companion with orders to attack (against deer, wolves, moose, bears if possible - causing damage instead of kill I imagine) and all that. :D
Can't imagine how hard it would be tbh.

EDIT: Re-watched your Fox mod vids. Impressive, there's absolutely no doubt with that. Haven't tried it yet but I would prioritize it if it was a wolf model if not German Shepherd xd. Rip my food if it needs food to eat a lot. My character travels a lot and eats meat only.
It does seem like it behaves fairly similar to Wolves (AI speaking) except it's ally instead of enemy so it seems to do everything except attacking you and other wildlife (minus rabbits). Very cool and impressive model and animation - I wonder if you are a developer yourself.

Edited by thekillergreece

1 hour ago, thekillergreece said:

Rip my food if it needs food to eat a lot.

In the previous release the fox actually didn't hunt or fetch anything for you if it was hungry. Took that mechanic out again, because it was mainly annoying and the "gameplay" didn't benefit from it at all. Now feeding is optional, pretty much just for immersion.

The AI is ... well it isn't :D The behaviour of the fox is completely independent of the mechanics Hinterland is using. It follows the player, it waits on the spot (idle animation -> going to sleep) and it runs pretty much in a straight line to any target (the "organic turning" consists just of a few neat tricks). An actual "AI" would be nice. Made a few experiments, but my whole system locked up for up to 20 seconds each time it needed to calculate waypoints around the terrain ;)  Still more optimization work to do there.

I don't know about being a developer, I just beat code into submission until it vaguely does what I want. In this instance the 3d model and animations are assets that I've actually purchased for that mod (credit goes to "MalberS" for that). Everything else, like following/hunting mechanics, integrating it in TLD, adding actual fur ... thats my work. So code yes, "design" no.

please for the love of rabbits someone make these mods:

- peer through/open house windows to see weather outside (or somehow just click on it like opening a door but all it does is report the weather in a UI text)

- construct simple wooden boxes or "improvised cabinets" or even shelves from reclaimed wood and place them wherever (there used to be a mod where you can fix broken cabinets so maybe use that as a building block? Household something?)

- transport via inventory small plastic and metal containers (they are placeable with another mod, but not transportable)

Edited by reginaphalange
typo

9 hours ago, reginaphalange said:

peer through/open house windows to see weather outside

Obviously not going to happen. Most interiors are literally their own map. It's even very hard to completely remodel the houses now because many are larger on the inside than outside. It would be nice, but it's something we're stuck with for technical reasons.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, reginaphalange said:

I just realized this is possible with existing mods (transportable small containers)

yeah, it called "moveable container"  and it works amazingly well.  you can even move a container up to the size of a coal bin and it will reflect the weight of the object.