Where do I start?

Ghurcb

I've got a bunch of ideas that (in my opinion) can greatly improve TLD as a game. Unfortunately, my experience in modding is... Non-existent.

It seems, like there are people here, who can provide some guidance.

Basically, I want to make my own mods.

Where do I start?

Edited by Ghurcb
Spelling error

20 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

Basically, I want to make my own mods.

just curious what kinda mod you wanna make?  I'm in the same boat as you, got tons of ideas and no experience...
anyways, I checked out the link the other day and there are some super duper mods already being produced by some very
talented creators.  They have already knocked out quite a few that I had on my list of ideas so that's a good thing if you ask me.
good luck, player!

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

just curious what kinda mod you wanna make?

Simple stuff. Updating UI (eg. showing temperature when I press Tab), changing some recipes, adding a way to collect water from waterfalls/fishing holes.

Maybe, once I get good enough, I could add a bear spear to survival (seriously, how come no one has made this mod yet?)

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

Simple stuff. Updating UI (eg. showing temperature when I press Tab), changing some recipes, adding a way to collect water from waterfalls/fishing holes.

Maybe, once I get good enough, I could add a bear spear to survival (seriously, how come no one has made this mod yet?)

Nice!  yeah, about that spear...  Get crackin laddie!  Me wants a spear too!
I'd like to be able to use my two liter pot to cook up some soups or stews, not just boil water and heat up an old dented can of beans...  ha ha 
what's cooking in your two liter pot?

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Will you make the library challenge? 😜

Actually the library challenge was pioneered by a player named @Screenshot Pilgrim and the object was to gather all the books on the island and 
bring them to one central location and organize them.  It was extremely difficult as anytime you picked up more than one book, they changed into the same
cover.  so if you picked up a book that had one cover design on it and say was an open book and you combined it with another book with a different cover design that was closed, the result was that both books cover changed to something completely different, both now looking the same and closed.  so you can imagine how many trips it would take even if you were just staying on the same map.  being able to only carry one book at a time was frustrating.  

28 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Actually the library challenge was pioneered by a player named @Screenshot Pilgrim and the object was to gather all the books on the island and 
bring them to one central location and organize them.  It was extremely difficult as anytime you picked up more than one book, they changed into the same
cover.  so if you picked up a book that had one cover design on it and say was an open book and you combined it with another book with a different cover design that was closed, the result was that both books cover changed to something completely different, both now looking the same and closed.  so you can imagine how many trips it would take even if you were just staying on the same map.  being able to only carry one book at a time was frustrating.  

ehm.... i don't see the problem here? Besides that the library wouldn't look very appealing but that's not very important imo.

And with a mod we can change that, can't we? Furthermore, we can make in theory a real quest out of it with voice lines and more

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

ehm.... i don't see the problem here? Besides that the library wouldn't look very appealing but that's not very important imo.

And with a mod we can change that, can't we? Furthermore, we can make in theory a real quest out of it with voice lines and more

ok, I like where you're going with that.  Mods as side quests and challenges is something I hadn't considered.  I like the idea a lot more now that you've elaborated on the idea.  thanks!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

ok, I like where you're going with that.  Mods as side quests and challenges is something I hadn't considered.  I like the idea a lot more now that you've elaborated on the idea.  thanks!

You're welcome ;)

Maybe you want to check out the tool "GameTTS". Write your own text - like a voice line for a character - and the tool can read it aloud with the voice of the said character from the game. Accentuations are possible. Sometimes you can hear that it's a machine talking, but the result is the best i've heard yet! But i don't know if Hinterland like tools like that 🤔

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

You're welcome ;)

Maybe you want to check out the tool "GameTTS". Write your own text - like a voice line for a character - and the tool can read it aloud with the voice of the said character from the game. Accentuations are possible i think . Sometimes you can hear that it's a machine talking, but the result is the best i've heard yet! But i don't know if Hinterland likes tools like that 🤔

well there are some very talented individuals collabarting with Hinterland on the UGC team so I am sure that we will see some outstanding content coming out of this project in the near future.  and although my skill set is weak when it comes to acutally developing a mod, I hope that I can contribute somehow because of my love for the game.  

• Upvote 1

Are there mods one can do with zero starting knowledge of coding? For example I want to get more experienced with 3D modeling/animation and it'd be fun to just swap out some of the game's assets with my own for practice on that.

This modding scene for one of my favourite games might be a kick in the butt to get me practicing again. 

23 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Are there mods one can do with zero starting knowledge of coding? For example I want to get more experienced with 3D modeling/animation and it'd be fun to just swap out some of the game's assets with my own for practice on that.

This modding scene for one of my favourite games might be a kick in the butt to get me practicing again. 

hey, just in case you missed this when reading this thread.  I do believe you may find the answers you seek right here on the discord link.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:44 AM, Waltz said:

Hop into modding discord, there are some tutorial links and all modders live there. If you have some specific questions, people will be glad to help https://discord.gg/bMPB6y2x

thanks for providing the link!

• Upvote 2

Open unity and try building the game from scratch. Use the original only as a reference. After you have made a "functioning" copy map out every function until you can spit out tree's, table's and file families like you made it. Then go make games using the technic you learned from the inspiration piece. Then apply your newly learned trade to make a mod as well as launch a secondary career in game design. At least that's what I did. Just not with The long dark and you obviously don't have to do that last part.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:12 PM, MarrowStone said:

It is incredibly easy to just plug graphics assets into the place of existing assets.