NEW SURVIVAL MODE UPDATE: PERILOUS CONSTRAINT

Admin

On 12/15/2021 at 1:33 PM, peteloud said:

Fortunately I had backedup my save at the mine.  If I hadn't I'd have given up TLD rather then restart 1400+ day game.  I returned to the nasty area near the Blackrock Power Plant to look for bugs.

I had two bad experiences.  I suddenly fell into that raging torrent when I appeared to be a firm ground.  Not only that in the same area I became stuck in a small space beside some barrels.  Both problems resulted in TLD.  Go two steps beyond this, still on firm ground, and you drown.1949906655_screen_(-37876445)_faa9950d-5728-4429-9d34-00c4d65602c6.thumb.png.56f769ca1ea49c2bbf95239f4e1cd4ef.png

Go to the left of these barrels and you are stuck and have to crash the game to get out.222861253_screen_(-37775443)_836d95e2-3857-4b68-b7f5-444382ddfd41.thumb.png.048ba483f82c42cbd0e8c30bbf5b28bd.png

Apologies for your experience -- we are working to resolve the land/water bug as quickly as possible, and we'll post an update as soon as one is available. 

19 hours ago, Alone said:

I can´t really. It´s not possible to enter a specific code. I just can choose the keypad and that´s it. I´m playing in survival mode btw.

Oh and there is some kind of "error sound" when I activate the keypad, as If the code is wrong or something...Any ideas? Anyone? :/ Again: I found the code in the mine before!

On 12/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Alone said:

I found the code in the mine and waited for the Aurora: the door still doesn´t open for me :( Is this a bug??

Yes, it sounds like it. I have gained access into the ammo workshop during the aurora, and once opened it stays unlocked.  Have you tried saving and completely closing out the game then restarting, and yes, waiting for another aurora to "enter" the code again?  

Did you keep the note from the mine in your inventory?

I know that it doesn't let you enter the specific code, just interact with the keypad.  But if you kept the note from the mine in your inventory it should've allowed you to open the door.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Yes, it sounds like it. I have gained access into the ammo workshop during the aurora, and once opened it stays unlocked.  Have you tried saving and completely closing out the game then restarting, and yes, waiting for another aurora to "enter" the code again?  

I know that it doesn't let you enter the specific code, just interact with the keypad.  But if you kept the note from the mine in your inventory it should've allowed you to open the door.

Oh, interesting! I didn´t keep the note from the mine, so I went back and this time I kept it in the inventory. I´m back now and waiting for the aurora. Thanks for your  help :)

21 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Yeah, problem solved :) This time I was able to open the door. Thanks again!

• Like 1

It's time for me to leave Blackrock for the moment.

I have spent 55 days there and think that I have done all that there is to do except find the Prepper Cache.  I have travelled around the whole region so many times that I can't be bothered with any more searching for it.  I have cleared almost all the black patches of the charcoal map which was my main objective.

I was playing a c.1,400 day Voyager game started when TLD was Ver. 1.35. This gave me extra problems. All bedrolls I found were runined.  So I had only one standard bedroll, no replacments.  The other problem was revolver ammunition.  Ver.1.35 was before the revolver and before crafting ammunition.  This meant that when the revolver came out the shell cases were not collected, they were all lost, so I had very limited ammo.

Spoiler
I failed to get into the Infirmary.  I wasn't sure if I should be looking for a key or a secret entrance.  I found neither.  
Two places puzzled me. I thought that they might be linked to getting inro the Infirmary, but it now seems not.

One place was a watchtower on the right hand side of the prison, it is accessed by a rope climb. It had a metal trapdoor on the floor that couldn't be opened. I thought that might be an exit from an underground tunnel.  The watchtower led nowhere, at least not for me. Why was there a rope climb to it?

Another place that was very tempting was the lower floor of the control room on the west(?), left, side of the dam.  On this lower floor there seemed to be plenty of things/places to check.  There were lockers, and a possible exit, to where, I could only guess. There are a couple of small locked gates blocking ladders to that area.  I hung around for an aurora to see if that would unlock a gate, but it didn't.

It has been an interesting and enjoyable region.  It was surprisingly difficult by Voyager standards.  I don't expect packs of 5 Timberwolves in Voyager.  There were quite a few bugs, some of which could end your game if you didn't back up your saves.  I shall now wait until there is an update fixing those bugs then I shall return continuing a more recent Stalker game.

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2021 at 4:12 AM, peteloud said:

There are two other places where I became stuck. and had to crash the game to get out.  In both cases I entered a risky area so getting stuck was not an unreasonavle result.  However Permadeath and losing a game that has been built up over months or years is a harsh punishment by HTL. My games was a 1400 day game that I started when TLD was ver. 1.35.  Thankfully I had a backup save. 

Above the gorge with the frozen river there is a place the rocks from each side meet high above the river.  While trying to find away across I entered a low roofed area and coouldn't get out. I have a poor screen dump of the place.  The picture is terrible but the co-ordinates might be useful.

1311743413_screen_(152242166)_d13a33ea-a584-47ee-a09c-9877b1f54509.thumb.png.db21fe9c0f8f8bac3f5171bfa6975f74.png

The other place was in the mine. Twice I died at this spot.  There is some very rickerty staging above a very deep shaft.  I very carefully walked along the planks, then suddenly I was falling.  It was a reasonably realistic accident. However unrecoverable loss of a long game is high price to pay.

So, my advice is to backup your saves and try and persuade HTL to incorporsate auto-saves into survival.

Looks like you succumbed at the same place over the gorge that I did- at least I'm not the only one who thought there would be a way across via those rocks! Glad you managed to keep your 1400 day save going.

Edited by Valuable Hunting Knife
typo

2 hours ago, peteloud said:

It's time for me to leave Blackrock for the moment.

I have spent 55 days there and think that I have done all that there is to do except find the Prepper Cache.  I have travelled around the whole region so many times that I can't be bothered with any more searching for it.  I have cleared almost all the black patches of the charcoal map which was my main objective.

I was playing a c.1,400 day Voyager game started when TLD was Ver. 1.35. This gave me extra problems. All bedrolls I found were runined.  So I had only one standard bedroll, no replacments.  The other problem was revolver ammunition.  Ver.1.35 was before the revolver and before crafting ammunition.  This meant that when the revolver came out the shell cases were not collected, they were all lost, so I had very limited ammo.

Spoiler
I failed to get into the Infirmary.  I wasn't sure if I should be looking for a key or a secret entrance.  I found neither.  
Two places puzzled me. I thought that they might be linked to getting inro the Infirmary, but it now seems not.

One place was a watchtower on the right hand side of the prison, it is accessed by a rope climb. It had a metal trapdoor on the floor that couldn't be opened. I thought that might be an exit from an underground tunnel.  The watchtower led nowhere, at least not for me. Why was there a rope climb to it?

Another place that was very tempting was the lower floor of the control room on the west(?), left, side of the dam.  On this lower floor there seemed to be plenty of things/places to check.  There were lockers, and a possible exit, to where, I could only guess. There are a couple of small locked gates blocking ladders to that area.  I hung around for an aurora to see if that would unlock a gate, but it didn't.

It has been an interesting and enjoyable region.  It was surprisingly difficult by Voyager standards.  I don't expect packs of 5 Timberwolves in Voyager.  There were quite a few bugs, some of which could end your game if you didn't back up your saves.  I shall now wait until there is an update fixing those bugs then I shall return continuing a more recent Stalker game.

I´ve spent 540 hours in survival mode until now and only found 2 (!) prepper caches. I´ve given up searching for them ^__^

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Ballistic Vest protect your survivor from broken ribs during a Moose Stomping attack?  
I tested this theory, donning the vest on the outside layer of my accessory slot.  My protection was super high as I was also wearing a bearskin coat, deer hide leggings, gauntlets, and all the best of everything else.  
I tagged a moose in the swamp right in front of Blackrock Penitentiary with an arrow and awaited the inevitable.  

Result: I took about 10% damage from the attack (Remarkable!  Very low!) but still got completely busted ribs.  

In anger, I shot the moose once more (with deadly precision) and it dropped.  
But I still have the broken ribs.  
and lots of meat. 

• Upvote 1

Is it me, or are animals much more resilient at Blackrock? Be it wolves or deer, glancing shots don't seem to kill them from blood loss. I'm currently tracking a deer that I (intentionally) put two rounds into and it hasn't gone down. I got into a fight with a regular wolf that took one revolver round, ran around, attacked him, ran around, attacked me again, ran around, and attacked me for a third time before running off and dying. I'm fine with a challenge, but this doesn't feel like a challenge, it feels like something is broken.

• 3 weeks later...

>be me

>sheltering at the trailer at Foreman's Clearcut

>decide 'I'm going to try and make it to the mine today'

>get to the road

>OH SHIT A PACK OF TIMBERWOLVES

>run back to the trailer

>hide inside

>can hear the Timberwolves outside barking, and am suddenly very thoroughly impressed with that subtle, but wonderfully attentive detail.

edit: OH SHIT THEY EVEN SCRATCH AT THE DOOR!

Edited by GothSkunk
  • Upvote 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:42 PM, SpitztheGreat said:

Is it me, or are animals much more resilient at Blackrock? Be it wolves or deer, glancing shots don't seem to kill them from blood loss. I'm currently tracking a deer that I (intentionally) put two rounds into and it hasn't gone down. I got into a fight with a regular wolf that took one revolver round, ran around, attacked him, ran around, attacked me again, ran around, and attacked me for a third time before running off and dying. I'm fine with a challenge, but this doesn't feel like a challenge, it feels like something is broken.

I don't think anyone has been given an indication that the resilience of wildlife is different. To me, it feels like Blackrock is a much more enclosed map than the others, with few wide open areas. It feels like Crumbling Highway between parts of the map, where you know the only way to get somewhere is through a single route. So, in other maps when the wildlife was scared or shot, they would run off in one direction and not really circle back until they were well out of sight and smell range, but in BR they tend to "bounce around" the same area until their frightened status wears off, leading to another close encounter sooner than expected. That's my experience, anyway.

Edited by ToAsT

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 5:23 AM, peteloud said:

I greatly enjoying PERILOUS CONSTRAINT.  It is so good to have new unexplored territory. It brings back the suspense of my first few games when I have been injured by a wolf, am hungry am lost and can't find anywhere to shelter.

I simply continued an old game in which I am well equipped and fully skilled.  I dread to think what it would be like if I had started a new game with very few reources and low skills.  I suspect that I would have soon gone into The Long Dark.

Back to the game.

I died within 15 minutes of spawning in Blackrock once... Haven’t gone back.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:41 PM, Bean said:

Does the Ballistic Vest protect your survivor from broken ribs during a Moose Stomping attack?  
I tested this theory, donning the vest on the outside layer of my accessory slot.  My protection was super high as I was also wearing a bearskin coat, deer hide leggings, gauntlets, and all the best of everything else.  
I tagged a moose in the swamp right in front of Blackrock Penitentiary with an arrow and awaited the inevitable.  

Result: I took about 10% damage from the attack (Remarkable!  Very low!) but still got completely busted ribs.  

In anger, I shot the moose once more (with deadly precision) and it dropped.  
But I still have the broken ribs.  
and lots of meat. 

If there were a survivor bar located in TLD, all your drinks would be on the house!

11 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Yes, it is. However the death was not totally my fault. Why can we not get into a trailer by clicking anywhere on the door?

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️
but BLK is an awesome map, I think you’d enjoy it if you go back better prepared after spawning elsewhere