New Survival Mode Update: PERILOUS CONSTRAINT

Admin

Hello Community,

We just launched our latest update to Survival Mode, called PERILOUS CONSTRAINT— v1.98 (87574).

This update includes:

• New to Survival: Blackrock Region is now available in Survival Mode. It connects to Pleasant Valley via a Transition zone, and to Timberwolf Mountain via a cave system.
  • New to Survival: The Noisemaker from Episode Four is now available for crafting and use in Survival Mode. Please note that the Blueprint unlocks after you find your first Noisemaker, which is currently only discoverable in Blackrock Region.
  • New to The Long Dark: The new Ballistic Vest is the first piece of protective gear in the game, offering strong defense against physical harms from wildlife attacks.
  • Various quality-of-life improvements, including making Crampons repairable, a new piece of soundtrack music, and many bug fixes.

There are also a couple of known issues affected players should be aware of:

• Please note that on Switch, the Main menu art will not be updated with the release, though the game should still update. Players can verify the correct version via the top left-hand side of the main menu screen v1.98 (86821). 
  • When attempting to repair the Crampons, you need either the Simple Tools or High Quality Tools item. If you do not have these items, you will receive an error message stating the Sewing Kit is required.

For more information, please read this month’s Dev Diary, watch the update video, and review the list of changes below.

Don’t forget to visit our Support Portal for useful articles, or if you need to log an issue. To stay up-to-date with news and information about The Long Dark and Hinterland, sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio).

ART, ENVIRO, and UI

• [Enviro] Fixed numerous areas the player could escape/leave the regular game environment. 
  • [UI] Fixed an issue in Survival Mode that caused six incorrect Possible Old Bear Locations to appear in the list of Mystery Lake Surveyed Locations.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue when using a Controller that caused the Start Fire menu to skip when starting a fire in a Fire Barrel.
  • [UI] Fixed an issue that prevented items from appearing in Inspection Mode when the HUD was disabled in Options.
  • [UI] Fixed a performance issue that caused the WINTERMUTE menu to become unresponsive when the Player had many save files. 

GAMEPLAY

• [General] Updated Feats, so they now always save up completion.

CHALLENGE MODES

• [Darkwalker] Fixed an issue that could prevent the game from saving correctly. 

WINTERMUTE

** Please note that this section contains spoilers for WINTERMUTE. ** 

• [Ep4] Fixed a bug that could cause the game to save in an unloadable state. 
  • [Ep3] Fixed a bug that caused the UI to disappear after exiting various sequences, such as a phone call or a dialogue sequence.
  • [Dialogue] Fixed an issue that caused the text to appear distorted during a dialogue sequence.

### END OF RELEASE NOTES ###

• Like 1

• Admin changed the title to New Survival Mode Update: PERILOUS CONSTRAINT

Finally!! I have always stated interloper players have no valid reason to go to BI and one way around that would be ability to repair crampons. Huge improvement and long awaited.

Not to crazy about the ballistic vest though- seems even more unnecessary than spray paint. 
  I am sure most players will appreciate the noisemakers but there is no way an interloper is wasting a precious match on a noisemaker.  No value.  

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

Well Done HTL !

I have it downloading at the moment.   There seems to be good details of the update in the forum too.  I am interested to hear the new music.  The music in the Episodes always seems to be better than the survival music, perhaps it will change this time. (That is not a complaint about the music, I think some of the music in the episodes is the best game music I have ever heard and will take some beating.)

Ahhh ! while it's downloading I shall refill my glass with cheap red plonk.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

Hello Hinterland,

Thank you for your hard work and commitment, I think it's time for me to start a new survival experience after 2 years of playing existing saves.. 😃

On the other hand, and I don't wanna seem greedy, but I have questions, just to normalize what we have now:

- Do you plan to change the decay rate of food in Survival modes? As I see it, it's against any phísics, that meat dropped outside the house decays much faster in Interloper (around -40C) than in Pilgrim (around -15C).

- Do you plan to redesign the smoke coming from the various fireplaces' chimneys? That thin line does not fit into the whole feeling of the game. (I understand that this can be tricky and cause a bit higher hardver demand, but campfires can do it.)

- Do you plan to equlize the gameplay differences between the regular survival modes and the custom modes? (E.g. Custom mode: crampons don't degrade, cartridges can't be harvested.)

- Do you plan to add options of knife/hatchet to custom modes?

Nevertheless, you are making great work! I'm wishing you all good health and a wonderful Christmas! 🙂

Edited by palbi

11 minutes ago, palbi said:

. . .   just to normalize what we have now: . . .

Awww, come on, it is a game, it can't be perfect in every aspect of reproducing real life.

While waiting for this release I have played several top games and I can't think of any game that comes close to TLD for attention to such detail.

• Like 1

I'm about an hour into BR - isn't it funny how excited you get when you see something like a tarp, blue plastic crate or a generator?  Even though we can't interact with them, it says to me, "Hinterland continues to give us new things".  As a dev, I know nothing is trivial and I appreciate it all.

10 hours ago, peteloud said:

Awww, come on, it is a game, it can't be perfect in every aspect of reproducing real life.

While waiting for this release I have played several top games and I can't think of any game that comes close to TLD for attention to such detail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the overall quality of the game. But to closer a game gets to perfection, the more obviously can be seen where it can be further optimized.

15 hours ago, palbi said:

Hello Hinterland,

Thank you for your hard work and commitment, I think it's time for me to start a new survival experience after 2 years of playing existing saves.. 😃

On the other hand, and I don't wanna seem greedy, but I have questions, just to normalize what we have now:

That thin line does not fit into the whole feeling of the game. (I understand that this can be tricky and cause a bit higher hardver demand, but campfires can do it.)

- Do you plan to add options of knife/hatchet to custom modes?

Nevertheless, you are making great work! I'm wishing you all good health and a wonderful Christmas! 🙂

I quite like the wispy thin smoke. There's something a little cosy about seeing it when you're outside in the bleak!

Amen though on adding the knife / hatchet toggles to custom mode. Anything that gets me nearer to more easily tweaking my favourite Custom build where there's very few clothing and packaged food resources, but still a few tools lying around including a rifle, low wolves but harsh weather! 

• Upvote 1

Very much looking forward to playing this on my PC come the weekend with multiple mugs of steaming hot tea and the most cosy of slippers. 

Having missed out a festive family get-together owing to lockdown last Christmas I'm really looking forward to meeting with loved ones for a week round my mum and dad's. However that won't stop from also playing The Long Dark on the Switch over there too, so I'll get to test out the new region at home and handheld on the go! As I kind of love the current menu art as well, it's not too great a loss having it stick around on the Switch. :)

Edited by Nervous Pete

Hey people
I love you all
I would write a lot if my English was at a better level. There is no better game. I love TLD. Let me tell you this much. I am delighted, Yes, it is just a game and its creators are only people. But how dear people, when they take into account our often contradictory whims. Greetings to you guys 👏👍🌡

• Like 2

Thank you for the update, I'm very excited about it!

[Enviro] Fixed numerous areas the player could escape/leave the regular game environment. 

So I guess no more nightly hikes above Ash Canyon, will check it :D

What about the apparently missing Polaroid in AC, has this maybe been fixed too? There's no mentioning of it in the release notes.

So, after being very happy that GoG provided v1.98 for linux at the day of its release announcement, disappointement kicked in quite soon after installation and startup of the "new" version. That is because the the_long_dark_1_98_52027.sh file that GoG provides does not contain v1.98 of the game but rather v1.95. This becomes visible once the selection menu of the game appears where you can read "Build # 1.95 83861 G" in the upper left corner and as a result, Blackrock region is not available in Survival Mode.

Of course I checked that this is not a mistake on my side. I re-installed the game twice from the the_long_dark_1_98_52027.sh installation file and even re-downloaded the very same file from GoG but to no avail. Running sha256sum on both downloaded files had the same checksum:

> sha256sum ~/downloads/GoG/the_long_dark_1_98_52027.sh | cut -d ' ' -f 1
af20b279dd55c3f13b33b4b4463fea77dbaebe8ee848cc0c8241b296a91f41f9

So dear Hinterland team, what to do now? I'd like to play at Blackrock region in Survival Mode.

P.S.: I don't have a Steam account just in case someone wants to suggest downloading the game from there.

Edited by Polynomial-C