Camera

Valuable Hunting Knife

'As mentioned in the lead-up to Episode Four’s launch, the team is working on bringing Blackrock Region to Survival Mode for the end of this year. They are also incorporating the Noisemaker into Survival Mode, and we’re including one new gear item that was not in Episode Four.'

Please Please Please be s'mores...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

'As mentioned in the lead-up to Episode Four’s launch, the team is working on bringing Blackrock Region to Survival Mode for the end of this year. They are also incorporating the Noisemaker into Survival Mode, and we’re including one new gear item that was not in Episode Four.'

Yay! Yummy😁

On 11/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, Pınar51-06 said:

As we know there are some polaroids in this game, camera can be added but ı guess ı wanted to see this as a challange (like archivist but first we collect all polaroids and then we find camera to see all photos about the first flare-maybe camera owner just took photos when first flare happens-the night will and astrids plane crashed) or as a new achivement like faithful photographer. 
Anyway ı like this camera and photo album idea.

Great idea to have this as a challenge, especially if there was a way we could maybe customise the way to do it (a certain amount or type of photographs but some freedom for the player to choose exactly how they approach it).  I suppose what I was really thinking of were things that could expand the game from the physical and resource survival of the early game, to keep things fresh longer term (which for me would be the big expansion I would like to see if we get a TLD2).  I'd be really happy if Hinterland try out a few ideas with challenges/ DLC etc. to try new ideas and mechanics without jeopardising the balance of the current game, which I imagine is a big concern with each update.

• Like 1

After putting some thought into this, a camera could actually be really cool and effective. What if taking a picture of a large, open area with automatically map all that was captured in the photo (or approximately all)? Of course, I can imagine this would not be easy to code, unless it was done like an instant charcoal mapping, without taking the time to actually map with charcoal. It would also only map anything in front of you, not anything behind you. 

Would be neat. I would be curious to see how it would work though with power, the aurora, and all that stuff. 

1 hour ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I mean, whether I am trying to "survive" instead of "camp," if I happen to find graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate... well, I might as well do Something with them. 

Edited by Pencil
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

and the best irony of all, would be that it's an old polaroid camera with flash attachment that was used to take pictures of convicts being processed into the jail. 
but now when we find the camera it only works during an aurora!  

• Upvote 3

Many cameras don't need aurorae  in order to be useful in the game. There's 2 other uses, both of which I would consider to be very helpful in a survival situation (although taking pics for better mapping is an idea I really like, the mapping in the game leaves much to be desired IMHO)

1. The lenses don't need electricity to work. Use them like binoculars
  2. Lenses can also work to start fires, same as a magnifying glass (would need to tear down the camera for that, I think?)

33 minutes ago, Kranium said:

Many cameras don't need aurorae  in order to be useful in the game. There's 2 other uses, both of which I would consider to be very helpful in a survival situation (although taking pics for better mapping is an idea I really like, the mapping in the game leaves much to be desired IMHO)

1. The lenses don't need electricity to work. Use them like binoculars
  2. Lenses can also work to start fires, same as a magnifying glass (would need to tear down the camera for that, I think?)

I think we were just keeping the camera idea lore friendly.  Standard film would require processing and that means chemicals and what not.  Considering there are already polaroid pictures in the game, it would make sense that if a camera were to be available, it would probably be a polaroid since the photo film is self processing.  Also, since it's an electrical driven device,  it would be contingent on an aurora to energize the film battery pack so that the user could take pictures, or at least be able to eject them. 
besides, there are plenty of mag lenses available in the game, so really no need to introduce another object just to have it be broken down so that the lenses could be used to start fires.  that would defeat the entire purpose of introducing the camera, dontcha think?   At this point, it's more of a luxury item and if it could do double duty to enhance the map, that would just be gravy!

• Upvote 3

On 11/8/2021 at 9:47 PM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

In a real survival situation you don’t develop photos in a dark room.

Actually in a real survival situation this could come in handy. Being alone in the wilderness ,expecially in the dark, after a long time seeing dead corpses and the fear of getting attacked by wolfs or bears would definitely lower your sanity. Making photos or polaroids of paronamas could help you recover some of it but not for long.

Trust me, insanity is almostly deadly like freezing and dehydration if not treaded carefully.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, A Lamp said:

Actually in a real survival situation this could come in handy. Being alone in the wilderness ,expecially in the dark, after a long time seeing dead corpses and the fear of getting attacked by wolfs or bears would definitely lower your sanity. Making photos or polaroids of paronamas could help you recover some of it but not for long.

Trust me, insanity is almostly deadly like freezing and dehydration if not treaded carefully.

🤦 

I like the idea of some kind of camera, or rather something I suggested previously; sketch tool using charcoal.

Instead of a camera (or both) have the ability to make a sketch of the landscape (same/similar mechanics as mapping). The sketch can be included in the diary or notebook somehow. Or as a separate album where 255 characters are allowed to describe each sketch. We would have illustrated diaries... :)

Example below

tld_charcoal_sketch.JPG

Edited by Bromstarzan
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This idea reminds me of the camera you get in Firewatch.

In Firewatch you find a cardboard point and shoot in the game...and then can take pictures using up the rest of the film. It even has a counter letting you know how many shots you have left.

At the end of the game...during the credits...the images you took (along with time images already on the camera) are shown as the credits scroll.

Also you can send off to have them developed as well (not sure if that's still a thing though).

I'd love a Polaroid to be included in TLD...it would be fantastic.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1