Favourite difficulty?

Leeanda

6 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

I have no idea what that means. You mean only a tent and no food or water? Or you mean a portable tent as your only means of shelter?

You have absolutely no clarification there whatsoever. 

Only a tent to sleep in! No caves,no houses nothing !  That's the only difference between camping and 'survival". 

The only significant difference anyway! 

And if you're not going to just answer the main topic question why did you even post a message on here?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Comes down to Some people like camping simulation, others like survival simulation

I respectfully disagree. It generally just depends on how used you are to the game and its maps. You are right in a way, since some, such as @Leeanda, like the more laid back style of easier difficulties but others maybe just aren't ready to move onto harder difficulties like interloper. When I first started, I found Voyageur rathee difficult. You don't have to be on the hardest difficulty to be surviving. Calling anything below loper 'camping' can come across as slightly derogatory as maybe others, such as new players, actually find them pretty difficult. 

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 2

Ugh... arguments. Why can't we all just get along?

Anyways, back to the original question. I wrote my opinion piece on the game difficulties on my wiki profile page some time ago. This text is copied directly from there.

Pilgrim

The equivalent of easy. Good for learning the maps and the basic game mechanics, but you won't get the full experience the game has to offer. As a result, it's easy to get lulled into a sense of security here. The only way to get attacked by wolves is to get too close to one that's feeding on a carcass, and bears/moose don't attack unless you shoot them.
This difficulty is excellent for players new to the survival genre and who haven't played Story Mode yet, but I find it gets boring after some time. However, if you enjoy this game mode, don't be ashamed -- you do you!

Voyageur

I consider this difficulty the equivalent of "normal", and it's my favourite difficulty when I'm off camera. You get the full Long Dark experience, without things being so difficult they become frustrating. What do I mean by that? There's hostile wildlife, but it's not everywhere. Blizzards can freeze you, but they're not too common. There's lots of loot, but it can run out if you stay in a region for a couple in-game weeks. Overall, it's ideal for people who like a "casual survival" experience, and surprise, I'm one of them.
If you have played Story Mode as a Capable Survivor, have played survival games before, or have watched a few hours of YouTube videos, you should be able to play this difficulty off the bat (at least, that's what I did).

Stalker

This is "Hard" difficulty in my opinion. While there is less loot than in Voyageur, and the weather is a bit more unpredictable, those challenges are only really apparent in the early game, before you're well equipped. What will be a problem throughout the entire gameplay is the high frequency of hostile wildlife. Wolves, bears, and timberwolves will be the biggest threat to your long-term survival in this difficulty.
I would not recommend playing this difficulty unless you have some first-hand experience with the game first. You are likely to die repeatedly and become very frustrated. You might do OK with it if you played up to Episode 3 of Story Mode as a Capable Survivor, or have played on Voyageur for a while.

Interloper

Definitely "ultimate" difficulty level. Literally everything about this game mode is hard. No tools, very little loot in buildings, icy cold temperatures, and extremely deadly wolves (though less frequent than Stalker) can all spell disaster. Even if you don't like cheating in games generally, I seriously recommend using the spoiler maps on this wiki and/or Interloper loot tables (search the Hinterland Forums for those). Your survival may depend on it.
Although this difficulty can be the most satisfying, it's also easily the most frustrating. You can do everything "right" and still not manage to survive long enough to get a full set of improvised tools and crafted clothes. I would not recommend trying this difficulty unless you have lots of experience with the game and have explored all the maps inside-out.

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

The loot table should be eliminated for interloper. There should ONLY be guaranteed match spawns, and start with a tin can. That’s all. 

So, don't loot anything and drop all your starting gear except tin can...that's all.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, Leeanda said:

I just love  the ability to be able to roam peacefully without constantly having to watch my back.I can hunt when I want instead of having to kill in self defence. It's simple and uncomplicated for the most part! You never know if the bear will turn on you,so it keeps me on my toes  when hunting! Strangely the lack of animals is the only thing I don't like! In an easier setting like this my logic is - easier to survive equals more hunting  opportunities,which you don't get on pilgrim.

Plus  there's no cabin fever, ! And I love spending my time searching for all that loot!😁

Have you considered a Custom run?  That way, you can configure your game just how you like.

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Have you considered a Custom run?  That way, you can configure your game just how you like.

One of the reasons I'm doing pilgrim is for the badges.  I still need the fire one and I've still got a way to go yet! Plus I want to get the 1000 days which is what my last pilgrim run was nearly at until my unexpected demise!  (Walking off the ravine bridge - not my fault!)😁

I have got a long run custom but I haven't played that for quite a while. If I ever get this pilgrim run done then I'll go back to it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

One of the reasons I'm doing pilgrim is for the badges.  I still need the fire one and I've still got a way to go yet! Plus I want to get the 1000 days which is what my last pilgrim run was nearly at until my unexpected demise!  (Walking off the ravine bridge - not my fault!)😁

I have got a long run custom but I haven't played that for quite a while. If I ever get this pilgrim run done then I'll go back to it.

Same here. I got ‘cold fusion’ badges like a month ago and ı want to get ‘fire master’ (ı am about %98-99 ao it’s about time) Although ı like play on pilgrim and ı had just 30-40 days on voyageur, now ı know the maps better, ı finished some easy challenges and ı guess ı am ready for a little difficulty challenge. 

After ı got fire badge, ı will wait for blackrock region update and start a new voyageur save. 

1 minute ago, Pınar51-06 said:

Same here. I got ‘cold fusion’ badges like a month ago and ı want to get ‘fire master’ (ı am about %98-99 ao it’s about time) Although ı like play on pilgrim and ı had just 30-40 days on voyageur, now ı know the maps better, ı finished some easy challenges and ı guess ı am ready for a little difficulty challenge. 

After ı got fire badge, ı will wait for blackrock region update and start a new voyageur save. 

It seems to take forever to get the fire badge! I'm still on 63% so a long way to go! Not even going to attempt the darkwalker one!  Good luck with the new run! Hope we don't have to wait too long for BlackRock!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Admin said:

Reminder to keep threads respectful. Thanks, Survivors. 

I would like to apologise to all for any offence caused.  It was not my intention to cause any distress to anyone and I can assure you it will not happen again.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

@Leeanda yeah, that fire badge is still a long way off for me.

I like interloper. I took someone's advice to try it and to aim to summit TWM before day 10 of a run and that was a really fun problem solving process. Psuedo difficulties like outerloper and zero have recreated that challenge. But the BEST bits (imho) are when it's all gone wrong and you some how snatch life from death and that can happen on any difficulty.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think the best difficulty is whatever suits the player! My favourite is probably custom, although that means I still haven't made a dent in any feats, since I even used my custom run to achieve Faithful Cartographer and am now working towards the 500 day achievement there, too.

I don't like jump scares and having to watch my back regarding wolves etc., but I do enjoy having to be smart, know my maps, and watch out for other more unforgiving survival elements, so I tuned custom to have really bad loot and really terrible weather, no weapons except for a bow, all conditions including parasites and cabin fever, but also passive wildlife. Some might scoff at that being a 'camping simulator', but the developers of TLD pride themselves at offering a wide range of experiences within a single game. It's a big tent, people. So far, that kind of custom has been my favourite way to play, but if I want some feats I think I'll have to dip back into pilgrim or perhaps try my hand at voyager (shudder).

Edited by Gwynren

39 minutes ago, Gwynren said:

I think the best difficulty is whatever suits the player! My favourite is probably custom, although that means I still haven't made a dent in any feats, since I even used my custom run to achieve Faithful Cartographer and am now working towards the 500 day achievement there, too.

I don't like jump scares and having to watch my back regarding wolves etc., but I do enjoy having to be smart, know my maps, and watch out for other more unforgiving survival elements, so I tuned custom to have really bad loot and really terrible weather, no weapons except for a bow, all conditions including parasites and cabin fever, but also passive wildlife. Some might scoff at that being a 'camping simulator', but the developers of TLD pride themselves at offering a wide range of experiences within a single game. It's a big tent, people. So far, that kind of custom has been my favourite way to play, but if I want some feats I think I'll have to dip back into pilgrim or perhaps try my hand at voyager (shudder).

Sounds like a well balanced set of parameters for making interesting game play if you don't me throwing my two cents in.

Some of my best playing experiences in this game have been custom game settings just like you describe.  When I set my passive wildlife parameters, I typically set detection at high so the animals notice me from further away and I set their spawning numbers on low.  It makes hunting with the bow that much more challenging when everything runs away before you can get into range.  On a side note, it sure takes a lot longer to get enough wolf pelts together to make a coat under those circumstances.  I usually have a wolf coat in my first week playing on stalker, lol. 😜   

As to the feats, it's too bad that Hinterland couldn't just provide a baseline experience for achieving feats.  If I play a custom game that is basically at interloper difficulty level sans aggressive wildlife, I think that should qualify for feats and acheievements the same way a player does  playing the standard pilgrim level difficulty.
I think a good motto for custom games, is "why just survive when you can camp out and thrive!"

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I don't have a definite answer. Each level of difficulty is fascinating to me. Pilgrim allows you to enjoy the game to the fullest - I can dress the character in any clothes that cannot be found on the Interloper level. At Interloper, I can practice my crisis management skills - I love that too. That is why I cannot answer you unequivocally, my dear friend. I love this game no matter what level of gameplay I choose.

Edit : I just wanted to add that I respect everyone, regardless of your character of the game and I am glad that I could join such a noble group

Take care, Survivors ❤

Edited by PiterZ
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, PiterZ said:

I don't have a definite answer. Each level of difficulty is fascinating to me. Pilgrim allows you to enjoy the game to the fullest - I can dress the character in any clothes that cannot be found on the Interloper level. At Interloper, I can practice my crisis management skills - I love that too. That is why I cannot answer you unequivocally, my dear friend. I love this game no matter what level of gameplay I choose.

Edit : I just wanted to add that I respect everyone, regardless of your character of the game and I am glad that I could join such a noble group

Take care, Survivors ❤

I'm glad you're enjoying the game in all its forms. And I'm glad you're part of this community 🙂 I hope you have fun  in both!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PiterZ said:

Hey @Leeanda that's exactly what you say. I also read various posts carefully and think that you are the good spirit of the whole community. I greet you warmly, Friend 👍

Thank you that's very nice of you to say.  There are a lot of good people on this forum  so if you ever need anything don't be afraid to ask! 😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, Mistral said:

Yes but even with Interloper spawn points, the first toilet or can of soda isn't normally THAT far out of reach. I mean you will lose some percentage there but so will you anyway if the game chooses for you to spawn in the middle of the night in a blizzard in woods right? Besides, you can usually find a flare or something to make a quick emergency fire anyway.

With guaranteed matches, is it really about skill if you immediately know where to run at and it becomes just memory game...? Starting at Timberwolf Mountain for example isn't much of a challenge since you know you just have to hit the Hut and you're safe... you can even do Summit or head to AC on your first days since you got those guaranteed matches...

Real survival is very much about luck... what skill is there in knowing spawns beforehand. That's why you need to improvise and your decisions matter

Anyhow, even having said all of this, I still think that the guaranteed matches are lesser of a problem than the amount of matches/firelighters in general even on Loper loot. As said before, there's just a RIDICULOUS amount of them and you really don't even need to do torch fires since you still end up with zillion matches. Especially after having mag lens. Of which by the way, there should be only one in the game IMO, in a randomized place (preferably on a map like Bleak Inlet where you orherwise wouldn't go on Deadman) so you can't rely quite so much on it early(ish) game.

I think the discussion of how the hardcore difficulty could be developed could and should survive to a new thread. I have same sentiment as Mistral and dont like the "you can always just make your own house rule". Personally I hope DLC has new ways of expanding game mechanichs to give more flavor to long time surviving. Some very good elements has been added in the base game but some things (like loot tables) dont make sense. 

Wandering wolves where some packs move freely out of spawn zones into new areas or even maps ... 😬 

To me the game deadmans challenge was one the funniest new game states from the community. I remember the first ones saying like "dont go for a bow, it will never work", now some play it permanent for days and days 🙂

• Like 1