DLSS support?

yoli

Hi, I was wondering whether we could expect Nvidia DLSS support at some point? I am using an ultra-wide screen (32:9, gorgeous for TLD!) and I could really use that kind of performance boost that DLSS is providing. Please advise!

Yeah I was going to say FSR might make more sense. Easier to add in and it actually works with everything. Intel has an open DLSS style upscaler coming as well which could be interesting. Either way I think people with integrated GPUs would love to have FSR as an option.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:10 AM, yoli said:

Hi, I was wondering whether we could expect Nvidia DLSS support at some point? I am using an ultra-wide screen (32:9, gorgeous for TLD!) and I could really use that kind of performance boost that DLSS is providing. Please advise!

No current plans, though we will post an update to the forums if anything changes. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, SpanishMoss said:

Is seems unlikely that a game without anti-aliasing would have DLSS or FSR. TLD is a low-spec game, meant to be played on a wide variety of hardware specs. 

Sure, but eg. FSR can also be used on slower consoles like PS4, Xbox One and Switch, so adding FSR to the game, could actually benefit all the way around. Also FSR doesn't require an anti-aliasing solution.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new optimization available with Nvidia's new Geforce Experience app, read about it here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/release-notes/GFE/3_24_0/Web/gfe-v3_24_0-web-release-highlights/

Basically even if not supporting DLSS, we should be able to run a game at a lower resolution then upscale using the sharpener algo of Nvidia. Problem today is TLD is not recognized by the Gefore Experience app. Would it be possible for the TLD team to get in touch with NVidia so TLD is recognized to at least benefit from this feature if not DLSS? Thanks!

• 6 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 10:44 PM, Admin said:

No current plans, though we will post an update to the forums if anything changes. 

There is a Unity plugin for DLSS available at Nvidia : https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ray-tracing/dlss/get-started#unity-version

This seems like a simple integration, would you guys reconsider adding support for this in TLD? I think this should not require a lot of dev. effort however would be a game-changer for some players, in particular those using ultra-wide or very high resolution screens.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, odizzido said:

I would rather have FSR 2.0. It would work for whichever GPU I buy next and it would work on older GPUs that could benefit more from having higher frame rates.

Whatever technology this is I am fine, just wishing TLD team brings this feature to us!

15 hours ago, odizzido said:

FSR 2 is essentially an open version of DLSS that anyone can use that works on a much larger range of hardware. You don't need to own an nvidia 20 or 30 series card. You can run intel, or AMD, or nvidia 10 series, whatever works.

Ok, this is AMD driven though, but cool this is an open technology, let's hope we'll see something like this in TLD without having to wait too long.

Edited by yoli

Guest jeffpeng

It probably depends mostly on if Unity will support FSR 2.0 or not. DLSS is pretty much a dead horse already, much like Hairworks, PhysiX and Nvidias other proprietary implementations such as RTX and RTX IO. If Unity will support FSR 2.0 (I guess eventually it will, since.... it already supports 1.0) TLD might with the next Unity version update - which is something HL doens't do lightly, and for good reason, but does eventually, as we've recently seen.

I guess in the long run this could be beneficial, since, as far as I am aware, all platforms that somewhat "matter" for games do or will support FSR 2.0, including Apple based systems and Linux (so, eventually, even Android, at least on select hardware).

On 6/21/2022 at 3:28 PM, jeffpeng said:

If Unity will support FSR 2.0 (I guess eventually it will, since.... it already supports 1.0) TLD might with the next Unity version update - which is something HL doens't do lightly, and for good reason, but does eventually, as we've recently seen.

Ok this looks like a reasonable option, I hope this is what will happen.

• 4 weeks later...