Terror in The Long Dark

I_eat_only_wolf_meat

Oooh i recently had another strange yet quite terrifying experience.

I was walking near the farmhouse at PV at night with the wind howling, dark as hell, had the lantern in the pack but i decided to stick with my revolver. At some point 2 wolfs started barking at me, slowly coming towards me. I was way too lazy to light up a lantern to see, relying to see the glowing eyes of the wolf to shoot him.

Here's where the strange happens, one wolf started charging at me and i was looking around to see those damn glowing eyes, i couldn't see them. I was looking around in the dark with the rev in hand like a fool trying to find the damn wolf before jumping at me, however the wolf at some point fleed away with fear, the second wolf aswell even tho i didn't do nothing. Realizing there could be a bear nearby (since wolfes run away when they see a bear) i quickly lit the lantern as fast i could to ''scan'' the local area, no bear was around.

Confused headed back towards Thomson's crossing, but before that i wanted to make the last check to see if there was something near the farmhouse, only to see somekind of a ''cloud'' forming at the bottom left of my screen for a few seconds, that ''cloud'' looked like those classic ghosts on cartoon or movies for kids and coincidentally no wolfes were around. Y'know it kinda gives me the creeps to think about it althought it could be the ghost that scared those wolfes.

Even now, im still confused and the actual reason why those wolfs fleed still remains a mystery to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Sounds terrifying, like the smoke monster from Lost ... Hmm, perhaps the plane wreckage is Oceanic flight 815 🤔

I've now returned twice to the farmhouse to find smoke billowing from the chimney, after extended periods away ... A fell wind lingers around that creaky old place 😬😄

Guest jeffpeng
On 11/2/2021 at 5:47 AM, DiscoJonny said:

It was at this point I swore never to take acid again...  I still see apparitions in the game when the snow is blowing really hard.

😮

In general .... your mind plays all sorts of tricks on you when being immersed enough in a game. TLD is perfect for that, especially when you turn of narration.

Although I'm not sure if the game actually playing mind tricks on you would be a good thing. It failed pretty miserably in Green Hell, that's for sure.

Edited by jeffpeng

• 4 weeks later...

This is great topic of discussion and I really like some of the ideas for realism; i.e. avalanches and tremors, and an ice-filled tsunami wave would be devastating; imagine being in the ship forging a knife and water starts coming in...

One thing that occurred to me earlier today is why is it that I never get hit by any flying debris, like a Fir tree limb, while stumbling semi-lost in a blizzard or a high wind?

I had a similar experience doing night navigation in a wind storm. Long story short, a gnarly piece of spruce tree top clocked me on the head as I looked up and it dropped me to the ground. Fortunately it was old and rotten, and snapped into a couple of pieces. It was solid enough however that I can always remember the "thock" sound reverberating in my head because the only protection I had was my Army soft cap.

Having that happen randomly albeit rarely would add just one more thing to be stressed about while playing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

As I was walking up the road in PV today I had the strange feeling I was being followed. I kept turning round and looking but there was nothing there! It was with me from the Ch mine to the abandoned cache.

It reminded me I'd had that feeling a few times before . 

There was no wind. Nor snow and it was broad daylight! It was pretty unnerving!

• Upvote 1

TLD has more potential as a horror game than some horror games themselves. Imagine Slenderman in TLD. If you would tweak only some things in the game, TLD would be a great horror game. Just put some animals in houses (like more then now). I would definetely make the AI of hunters more complex, so that they hunt you over long distances. I wish, there were fewer of them with each being a bigger problem than is now. In consequence, a wolf should be a threat for a longer period of time, with you being able to prepare for it, distracting it and stuff. I don't want the wolves themselves to be stronger (more damage or something), but just their strategies to be more complex.
One could say, something like this would push TLD in some wrong direction, I understand that, but I think, this would be another survival aspect of the game. It shouldn't be the main thing. TLD shouldn't go for action. I would see that as another point to count into planning. And if you're wrong, you'll propably die.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Razum said:

TLD has more potential as a horror game than some horror games themselves. Imagine Slenderman in TLD. If you would tweak only some things in the game, TLD would be a great horror game. Just put some animals in houses (like more then now). I would definetely make the AI of hunters more complex, so that they hunt you over long distances. I wish, there were fewer of them with each being a bigger problem than is now. In consequence, a wolf should be a threat for a longer period of time, with you being able to prepare for it, distracting it and stuff. I don't want the wolves themselves to be stronger (more damage or something), but just their strategies to be more complex.
One could say, something like this would push TLD in some wrong direction, I understand that, but I think, this would be another survival aspect of the game. It shouldn't be the main thing. TLD shouldn't go for action. I would see that as another point to count into planning. And if you're wrong, you'll propably die.

Thinking about what you're saying about a better AI system, what if while you're walking and a wolf starts to follow and you pass by more, they start to follow and try to surround you so you can't run. You can get out of this by firing at them or lighting a flare to make them back off. Another strategy would be to run before they try to circle you. It would be cool to see some better tracking in the future.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:47 AM, DiscoJonny said:

I dropped a tab of acid once and played TLD for 9 hours straight.  It was in pilgrim mode cause I knew going into it that I didn't want to have to deal with wolves attacking me every other minute.  Anyways, walking out on the ice of Coastal Highway at night with a full moon during an aurora and it was one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had playing a video game.   However all that was soon to change...

It wasn't until I was really tripping balls that the weather changed and a raging blizzard rolled in and as I struggled to make my way to safety, the snow demons began to form around me and their howling and shrieking literally had me shivering in fear.   They somehow managed to lure me the wrong way and soon I fell thru the ice.
I was so immersed in the moment that I actually thought I had hypothermia.  When my roommate came in to check on me,  he said he found me literally bathed in a cold sweat and trembling uncontrollably.  

It was at this point I swore never to take acid again...  I still see apparitions in the game when the snow is blowing really hard.

Idk what you mean by acid can you elaborate?

7 hours ago, Dogelsagod said:

I actually like this idea a lot. It would really add something to the game. Also for someone to shoot you that far away they would have to be 5 miles away (Yes I did the math) with those iron sights would be insane.

I really would like to see multiplayer.  With some work, I think the lonely atmosphere could be preserved and it wouldn't end up like Fortnite 😬

As for the math, I think sound travels 344 m/sec, so it would only be a 688m rifle shot which would still be darn impressive, but is do-able.  Not by me of course, but by someone at least.  It's actually a little more complicated than that because both the bullet and the sound leave the rifle at the same time, and I stipulated that it was 2 seconds after seeing the hit that you would hear the report.  So the sound would have been on its way when the bullet hit.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I really would like to see multiplayer.  With some work, I think the lonely atmosphere could be preserved and it wouldn't end up like Fortnite 😬

There is actually a multiplayer mod out there. https://www.youtube.com/c/filigraniChennel/featured

Anywhere on that youtube channel you can find the Discord link and on the discord you can get the link for the mod. It's pretty basic at this moment, but it works.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...