Bug or New Feature - Vanishing Carcasses

Aoajunky

I've just returned to the game after several months away and on my first new run (interloper) the dead deer that can be found on the map from the start all vanished after a few days. 

I was curious as to whether this is a new feature or a bug. 

Asking this question elsewhere I had a response that it seems to happen after a blizzard can anyone else confirm this. Also if this has only occurred since the latest update. I don't want to report it as a bug until I'm sure it's a bug. 

Thanks in advance.

It’s always been this way. Either All carcasses from your kills rot and disappear after a few days- and existing ones rot if you take even one sliver from them. 
  If you didn’t recover anything from an existing carcass then that would be a bug. But that surely didn’t happen. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

Since you seem to be asking about ravaged carcasses (ones you didn't kill yourself and can be found in predetermined locations), let me paraphrase myself from a different topic:

Based on my experience - since the ep. 4 update - all carcasses in a region start to decay the moment you enter the region regardless of you interacting with the carcass or not. For example, you start in TWM, the carcasses are there as usual on day 1. Since the update, by day 3-4, they start disappearing, especially if there's a blizzard. However, if you leave TWM for PV on day 5, the carcasses there (in PV) will still be intact - for another 3-4 days. If you then head back to TWM on day 10, you will find no carcasses whatsoever, cause the decay process started on day 1 in TWM, and everything is gone by then. Hop over to AC on day 15, again, carcasses will be where they should be, cause the decay in AC only starts on day 15 - the day you first enter the region.

For a different scenario, let's say you loot a bit of TWM, and you also loot the AC transition cave. If you leave the cave on the AC side even for just a quick peek (so you enter the AC region for a second then turn back), the carcasses in AC start decaying immediately too. By the time you come back to AC 10 days later, you won't find any carcasses in AC either.

If you don't leave the cave on the AC side (don't enter the region) and then come back 10 days later, the AC carcasses will still be there - but only for a few days, until a blizzard.

It definitely changed with the latest update. Interacting with a carcass makes no difference anymore. Frankly, I like it better this way, makes the game more challenging, and is more in line with the idea of a decaying world, although it's not a perfect solution for sure.

I certainly don't know if it's a bug or a feature.

Thank you gameitswatch.

If it's a feature I'm also fine with it being a feature but if it's a bug it's annoying. Really as a loper player it was annoying because I focused solely on getting the bow and arrow sorted early and ignored them completely other than to get feathers. In doing so though I entered 4 regions just to get what was needed for the forge and wiped them off 4 maps before I even knew this was now a thing.

Next time I shall have to harvest them over getting the bow asap.

Thank you very much for your reply. 

I was walking from Climber's Cave to the other Cave under High Medow and took note of a ravaged deer carcass which I intended to harvest the next day. But a blizzard came and the next day the carcass was gone. Few days later I returned to Climber's Cave and the carcass was there again - which is strange, because there are no wolves. 🤔