Eating mouldy/ruined cooked meat

Leeanda

Please could someone help me with this. I thought you could eat cooked mouldy meat at any level . Today I managed to get food poisoning from eating mouldy cooked bear meat for the first time in over two years of playing,not once but twice! 

Ive never had that happen even on level 1 cooking skill so why did it happen now?  Any info most appreciated! 

Edited by Leeanda

Well you can eat cooked mouldy meat at any level.   Whether you can do so without any other consequence is another matter. 

When you ate the cooked mouldy meat were you at Level 5 cooking?  Level 5 confers immunity to food poisoning (and intestinal parasites) for any cooked food regardless of the cooking skill level it was cooked at.  So the bear meat cooked back at level 1 could be consumed safely when at Level 5.  Raw meat/fish does not come under this benefit. 

Food poisoning even from low condition cooked meat tends to be a fairly rare event (IMO, as I know that some will dispute the "rare" reference with reason given their experiences) but it is can happen if not at Level 5.  One reason why significant effort is put into getting to level 5 cooking so it stops being a worry unless, of course, one eats raw meat or fish...

10 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Well you can eat cooked mouldy meat at any level.   Whether you can do so without any other consequence is another matter. 

When you ate the cooked mouldy meat were you at Level 5 cooking?  Level 5 confers immunity to food poisoning (and intestinal parasites) for any cooked food regardless of the cooking skill level it was cooked at.  So the bear meat cooked back at level 1 could be consumed safely when at Level 5.  Raw meat/fish does not come under this benefit. 

Food poisoning even from low condition cooked meat tends to be a fairly rare event (IMO, as I know that some will dispute the "rare" reference with reason given their experiences) but it is can happen if not at Level 5.  One reason why significant effort is put into getting to level 5 cooking so it stops being a worry unless, of course, one eats raw meat or fish...

I'm on level 4 cooking and it was cooked right before eating it. Just find it odd it's never happened before! I do avoid ruined food until I reach level 5 .

Edited by Leeanda

As I noted, food poisoning from cooked meat and fish (and even canned goods) tends to be infrequent or fairly rare, so it would not be any surprise that you could eat a lot of non-ruined food prior to level 5 and not get food poisoning.  Of course, some folks can't look at ruined food and not get food poisoning but then the RNG must hate them.  😐

7 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

As I noted, food poisoning from cooked meat and fish (and even canned goods) tends to be infrequent or fairly rare, so it would not be any surprise that you could eat a lot of non-ruined food prior to level 5 and not get food poisoning.  Of course, some folks can't look at ruined food and not get food poisoning but then the RNG must hate them.  😐

In other words I just got damn lucky until now!  Thanks for the info!🙂

20 hours ago, Leeanda said:

In other words I just got damn lucky until now!  Thanks for the info!🙂

Yep.  I eat a lot of deer meat in the early game and at least once per run I'll get food poisoning from cooked deer meat at around 70% condition (before cooking 5).  Just be sure to have some form of antibiotic handy!

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Yep.  I eat a lot of deer meat in the early game and at least once per run I'll get food poisoning from cooked deer meat at around 70% condition (before cooking 5).  Just be sure to have some form of antibiotic handy!

I always have plenty of antibiotics it's just I've never needed them til now! 🙂 

Typical !

Edited by Leeanda

6 hours ago, yogi said:

What about mouldy cheese?

Coming soon: The Long Dark Cheese Making Add-On.

To go with pickled vegetables. Smoked / cured meats. You'll have a gourmet food store ready for the passing tourist in no time.

You and your pickled veg! Cheese add on? Why not a full on cheese sim game, complete with crackers of you're choice?

10 hours ago, yogi said:

Are there ingredients on the island to make crackers with?

You could just use some birch bark ,they probably taste about the same🙂 ! Tourists?  Well I'm not sure how you'd get them to great bear,it'd have to be really good cheese to make them want to come! Or really good pickled veg!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Cattail pollen. You can substitute it 1:1 for actual flour. You can literally bake bread, make crackers, etc. with it.

You are all over it.

We'll have the "Great Bear Fine Foods" open for the tourists in Milton in no time.

Sounds like a project for Will and Astrid.

• Upvote 1

Bahahahahaha. Also, slightly eww.

But true.

Perhaps we can infuse some with rose hips, birch bark, cattails, branches other random indigenous flavourings.

"Rose Hip and Wood" - sweet, yet earthy with slightly wooden undertones.

Shouldn't be too long before the distillery and/or brewery but perhaps that is the following update.

Edited by yogi
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, yogi said:

"Rose Hip and Wood" - sweet, yet earthy with slightly wooden undertones.

Actually I've made rose hip & birch bark tea before. The rose hip flavor completely overpowers the birch bark. Birch bark tea by itself is actually very subtle, and tastes kind of like really, really, really watered down maple syrup.

• Upvote 2

I've gotten food poisoning from a cooked piece of 73 percent bear meat once before and believe me, I wanted to throw my mouse across the room because it was a slap in the face after the situation I had been put in before I got the affliction.

The way I see it though, there's always a chance for food poisoning except if it's anything above 75 percent or it's cat-tail stalks and beverages. Also if you're level 5 cooking, then it doesn't matter what condition items are in plus you can eat ruined items if you wanted as well. Just don't eat any raw meat because you will still get food poisoning, I found that one out the hard way. :D 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

I've gotten food poisoning from a cooked piece of 73 percent bear meat once before and believe me, I wanted to throw my mouse across the room because it was a slap in the face after the situation I had been put in before I got the affliction.

The way I see it though, there's always a chance for food poisoning except if it's anything above 75 percent or it's cat-tail stalks and beverages. Also if you're level 5 cooking, then it doesn't matter what condition items are in plus you can eat ruined items if you wanted as well. Just don't eat any raw meat because you will still get food poisoning, I found that one out the hard way. :D 

Oh I've done that several times!🙂 

On 10/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, Leeanda said:

Please could someone help me with this. I thought you could eat cooked mouldy meat at any level . Today I managed to get food poisoning from eating mouldy cooked bear meat for the first time in over two years of playing,not once but twice! 

Ive never had that happen even on level 1 cooking skill so why did it happen now?  Any info most appreciated! 

Didn’t we just get an update?  I’m sure the action has a probability setting like rolling the dice.  However, I know the devs have made things harder in each update.  I.e. wolves used to stay out of fishing huts, now they don’t.  Perhaps the latest update has increased the probability of food poisoning.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Didn’t we just get an update?  I’m sure the action has a probability setting like rolling the dice.  However, I know the devs have made things harder in each update.  I.e. wolves used to stay out of fishing huts, now they don’t.  Perhaps the latest update has increased the probability of food poisoning.  

I never thought of that. Sounds possible. Or maybe the bugs are affecting gameplay in ways not expected.?

Edited by Leeanda

I got food poisoning on an Interloper by eating cooked meat from a ravaged deer carcass. I believe the % would have been from 50-60. That really hurt that run. Threw me into desperation mode since I was already low on health and didn't get any recovery for 10 hours. Got food poisoning two more times before I was unable to fight back... 

But I do get food poisoning every now and then from eating even deer or moose meat. All of this happened before the Episode 4 launch. 

Also, made me wonder, do ravaged deer carcasses have a higher chance of food poisoning? 

Edited by Pencil

Sometimes, I eat raw meat or fish so that I can get food poisoning.  that way I can get 10 to 12 hours uninterrupted sleep regardless of  fatigue level during recovery.  
I usually do it to reset the sleep/wake cycle so that I wake up after sunrise instead of hours before the dawn...

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Sometimes, I eat raw meat or fish so that I can get food poisoning.  that way I can get 10 to 12 hours uninterrupted sleep regardless of  fatigue level during recovery.  
I usually do it to reset the sleep/wake cycle so that I wake up after sunrise instead of hours before the dawn...

So you can sleep longer than  your fatigue level if ill?