How to pile things closer together?

Niskavuori

Howdy Y'all!
Title has it. But a little pit of clarification.
I've seen in YouTube that advanced players have things, like coal lumbs, bandage or coffee cups piled on table, really close to each other. When I try to do same, äll I got is a message "Too close to an other object!" How do they do it? Is it mod?

Could be the "Placing Anywhere" mod. That removes distance restrictions and also allows you to stack things on top of each other.

Spacing can also change between version depending on if and how they tweak things. I think it has gone back and forth, with the last version allowing closer spacing again. Cans of food or cups of tea were never really an issue though. I was always able to place those next to each other on shelves.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Apparently if you are not able to place items closely together, you can put them down in proximity, save and exit the game.  then when you relaunch the game you are able to pick those items up and move them closer together.  I've found this happens often to me with items like antibiotic bottles, pain killer bottles and some canned goods as well.  doesn't seem to happen with bags of crisps or beef jerky and mre's.   anyways, we were just discussing possible updates on the object placement system in another thread just the other day and are waiting for any possible details when the release notes are published.   there was recent posting by the admin team but I didn't see anything being mentioned about enhancing the object handling mechanics.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I've found this happens often to me with items like antibiotic bottles, pain killer bottles and some canned goods as well.  doesn't seem to happen with bags of crisps or beef jerky and mre's.   anyways, we were just discussing possible updates on the object placement system in another thread just the other day and are waiting for any possible details when the release notes are published.   there was recent posting by the admin team but I didn't see anything being mentioned about enhancing the object handling mechanics.  

Thanks,

That was exactly the issue here. My two bottles of antibiotics behaved like they were 2 huge and lively Coho Salmons on my base table. Coudn't get them near each other. While Tomato Soup cans were neatly next to each other.
Hope they fix this issue. I remember time, when you could place rabbit skins only as close each other as wolf skins...

• Like 1

I have found that when placing from the radial menu that the item may retain an orientation that would not be obvious to the player.  It can mean that the item cannot be placed in the spot where the player wants it even though it looks like it should.  It can mean that when 'rotating' the item that the increments seem quite off.  

I have resorted to putting the darn thing down nearby (obviously it has to be "green" to be placed) and then try placing it from that spot.  I have found that, often, not always, one can get the item a bit closer (some items the graphics footprint is just too big) and the rotation increments seem much better.  

On occasion I would be trying to place something like Coho salmon and trout to arrange them and the darn game would not let me.  Okay, I will just DROP them all in a pile.  Take that placement algorithm. 😁

• 5 weeks later...