October 2021 Developer Diary

Admin

If the Hotfix truly fixes many of the pre-EP4 issues, then it's even more crucial that the Changelog which was somehow missing from 1.95 makes it way back to 1.96. We need to know the changes. And I still want my warming up buffs working properly again 😃

But still a very nice and detailed Diary update. I don't mind the halloween event being no-go, the Survival update is obviously the biggest priority. That's the reason I played through EP4, to get sneak peek into the new map, even if/when it'll get changed up a bit in between.

Hopefully the new item is not that old spear... no use for even more weapons... something like snowshoes or slow-burning candles (very christmasy too!) would be very welcome. Or if it's oneoff item like the AC tech backpack and crampons were, then they need to be found on either HRV or BI to make the trip to those maps on Loper and especially Deadman more worth it.

Noisemakers... well, I've said my opinion on em

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

Im probably a minority on this, but I would rather see new places to explore than new objects. If//when objects do get added, I like when they are consistent with what people on an isolated island like Great Bear might actually have around, or things that a person would end up making if they were really in this situation. For instance, if I was going to quarter an animal I would definitely build some sort of travois or sled to haul the meat. I doubt I will use the noisemakers outside of EP4, but I do think they are a good addition to the game as they are consistent with available resources and give additional protection to new or causal players.

Edited by FluffyComeHome
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FluffyComeHome said:

Im probably a minority on this, but I would rather see new places to explore than new objects. If//when objects do get added, I like when they are consistent with what people on an isolated island like Great Bear might actually have around, or things that a person would end up making if they were really in this situation. For instance, if I was going to quarter an animal I would definitely build some sort of travois or sled to haul the meat. I doubt I will use the noisemakers outside of EP4, but I do think they are a good addition to the game as they are consistent with available resources and give additional protection to new or causal players.

Consider me part of the minority then. Adding, or being able to make a sled would be immensely useful. While I find the story episodes somewhat of a pleasant distraction, for me, they are still only secondary to survival mode.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FluffyComeHome said:

but we got a whole new region in E4 that will be added to Sandbox mode in December?

Noisemaker will be a nice use for all the crafting materials that can otherwise only be used at the ammunition workbench. Everytime i find one of these far away from the bench i think "yeah okay, i won't carry it all the way to BI, so...."

A sled is on the wishlist since forever and wasn't added. I don't think we will get one. I personally think that a sled would be good for moving regions.

What really is needed is an adjustment of the weight of some items, especially tools. A hatchet does not weight 1,5(!) kg. The same is true for a hacksaw (1,5kg), the knife (0,5kg), etc.

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Noisemaker will be a nice use for all the crafting materials that can otherwise only be used at the ammunition workbench. Everytime i find one of these far away from the bench i think "yeah okay, i won't carry it all the way to BI, so...

What do you mean all the crafting materials that can only be used at the ammunition workbench? The only things you need for the Noisemaker are cloth (found everywhere), cans (found everywhere) and gunpowder (even on Loper loot tables you can get it reasonably easily). You do not need dusting sulfur or stump remover or car batteries. Besides, gunpowder already works as fire accelerant, so even now there's use for it that's not related to Bleak Inlet

But speaking of BI, I still think the only way these things should be craftable, should be on the ammunition workbench. Not only would it give a Loper or Deadman player a reason to go to BI in the first place but it would also make dealing with the Timbers (or regular wolves) less easy with the Noisemaker... which is effectively another version of the revolver after all.

If I can craft these things say in the Mountaineers Hut, on my way to the Gold Mine, I can easily just blast my way through the numerous AC ground level wolves with zero sneaking or stone throwing required, just as would be the case if I had a revolver. When playing EP4, for the first time in ages I remembered how carelessly you can go from place to place if you have the revolver (and now Noisemaker as well) since even before seeing the wolves you can just clear your path through by shooting or throwing wherever.

On Deadman, when time is usually on the essence, quick blast-your-way-through-strategy sounds like a lovely idea in contrast to slow sneaking while looking at your temp meter. In a negative sense that is. You see I do fear I will get lazier on Survival if I now have a quick clearing-out tool on my disposal that can be crafted anywhere. I mean okay the amount of available gunpowder cans won't be as ridiculous as it was in EP4 (even on the so-called "Hardened survivor" difficulty) but it's still not exactly ear wool wrap spawn chance is it? At least flare gun, you know the ultimate get out of jail free card, has only few shells available in the game world, and also it doesn't really work as well in pre-emptive strikes as revolver and now noisemaker do... so the flare gun was always suitable for Loper and Deadman me thinks. Noisemaker on the other hand... meh... 

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1

Some Survivors won't be satisfied until a working snowmobile is added, along with a full goose down Himalayan suit.  Actually, I'd be down for a damaged snowmobile at Mountaineer's Hut that you need something like 40 scrap metal to repair, and a trek to Bleak Inlet or the like to find a specialty distilling station where you'd have to refine petrol which would be extremely heavy.  The reward would be shooting up the side of Timberwolf's summit and bypassing two ropes or so.  ☻

Hinterland, love the magic you bring.  Please keep on.  This is pure art from the heart and soul and it shows.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

So I don’t understand a whole lot about any of the computer lingo like hotfix, 1.64325, etc. Etc. 
but what I do know is, I LOVE this game! Thanks for the introduction of the language filter as well; your efforts have me in for the long dark… err, the long haul… 😅😂

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 7:22 AM, Corso said:

odd - I've had no issues my only disapointment was I completed Episode 4 without realising so will need to run it again at some point

From what I can tell, it seems to be related to profile data. If your account has a lot of feats & badges unlocked it wont make it past the disclaimer while newer accounts can. I noticed the main menu music was absent though upon launching it with an alternative account so I'm holding off until the next patch.

Really hope it doesn't take much longer. The wait already has been extremely long...

19 hours ago, Mistral said:

What do you mean all the crafting materials that can only be used at the ammunition workbench? The only things you need for the Noisemaker are cloth (found everywhere), cans (found everywhere) and gunpowder (even on Loper loot tables you can get it reasonably easily). You do not need dusting sulfur or stump remover or car batteries. Besides, gunpowder already works as fire accelerant, so even now there's use for it that's not related to Bleak Inlet

Haven't crafted one by myself i was assuming that all materials are necessary that we need to craft ammunition, besides the car batteries.

Gunpowder as accelerant is good to know. I almost never use accelerant, but in emergencies. Having more options there is helpful.

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

Haven't crafted one by myself i was assuming that all materials are necessary that we need to craft ammunition, besides the car batteries.

Gunpowder as accelerant is good to know. I almost never use accelerant, but in emergencies. Having more options there is helpful.

Yes all of them are required for ammo crafting, but only gunpowder is for noisemaker

I don't think I ever used accelerant on Stalker and also very rarely on Loper  (save some blizzard coal fires if you don't have Fire skill 5) but in custom games it will come very handy. Lamp oil is obviously the biggest accelerant source still if one doesn't use lanterns

Edited by Mistral

Thank you for the update. I for one really appreciate all the hard work you guys do to bring us updates and fixes for the game. There is so much more going on behind the scenes than any of us can imagine, so thank you for all of your hard work and thank you for your detailed explanation too :) 

Looking forward to Blackrock coming out in survival mode

thanks again

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, ajb1978 said:

I'd bet dollars to donuts the new item is gonna be the long-awaited bear spear.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:24 AM, Mistral said:

Hopefully the new item is not that old spear...

"Please note that the Bear Spear is currently a Story-mode only tool. It will be added to Survival Mode in a future update."

Taken from the Wintermute Redux update post from a couple years back. Starting to wonder when it will be added lol. 

On 10/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, Mistral said:

But speaking of BI, I still think the only way these things should be craftable, should be on the ammunition workbench. Not only would it give a Loper or Deadman player a reason to go to BI in the first place but it would also make dealing with the Timbers (or regular wolves) less easy with the Noisemaker... which is effectively another version of the revolver after all.

If I can craft these things say in the Mountaineers Hut, on my way to the Gold Mine, I can easily just blast my way through the numerous AC ground level wolves with zero sneaking or stone throwing required, just as would be the case if I had a revolver. When playing EP4, for the first time in ages I remembered how carelessly you can go from place to place if you have the revolver (and now Noisemaker as well) since even before seeing the wolves you can just clear your path through by shooting or throwing wherever.

On Deadman, when time is usually on the essence, quick blast-your-way-through-strategy sounds like a lovely idea in contrast to slow sneaking while looking at your temp meter. In a negative sense that is. You see I do fear I will get lazier on Survival if I now have a quick clearing-out tool on my disposal that can be crafted anywhere. I mean okay the amount of available gunpowder cans won't be as ridiculous as it was in EP4 (even on the so-called "Hardened survivor" difficulty) but it's still not exactly ear wool wrap spawn chance is it? At least flare gun, you know the ultimate get out of jail free card, has only few shells available in the game world, and also it doesn't really work as well in pre-emptive strikes as revolver and now noisemaker do... so the flare gun was always suitable for Loper and Deadman me thinks. Noisemaker on the other hand... meh... 

On 10/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, Mistral said:

I mean okay the amount of available gunpowder cans won't be as ridiculous as it was in EP4 

This right here makes it perfectly fine for them to be crafted on workbenches and on Interloper. You will eventually run out... especially if you are trying to blast your way through BI. Noisemakers would still be treated carefully since you won't be able to make very many. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, Admin said:

We don’t have an ETA on the Survival Update apart from “before the end of the year”.

So now that it has been a few weeks, any updates on narrowing in on an ETA? Any chance this can mean before start of winter break? Because I'd love to spend break really getting back into survival. Or do you think it will be moved later? Do what you need to do, it would just be nice to get an update. I'm really looking forward to an updated survival, whenever it comes out!

11 hours ago, psychomuffin said:

So now that it has been a few weeks, any updates on narrowing in on an ETA? Any chance this can mean before start of winter break? Because I'd love to spend break really getting back into survival. Or do you think it will be moved later? Do what you need to do, it would just be nice to get an update. I'm really looking forward to an updated survival, whenever it comes out!

"before the end of the year" basically means before christmas holiday. And based on experience they always did it since the last few years. For example the Ash Canyon update arrived at December 7th last year by surprise release.

13 hours ago, psychomuffin said:

So now that it has been a few weeks, any updates on narrowing in on an ETA? . . .

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the release date will be determined by marketing reasons, not technical.  HTL will be wanting to maximise attention to TLD to boost Xmas sales.  For that I think that 1st December would be a goood day for the update to come out.  That is turn would require an announcement around 20th Nov. 

However, Ash Canyon came out on 7th Dec last year so perhaps HTL prefers 7th rather than the 1st December.  Releasing on the 1st gives HTL a bit more time to remove any easy to fix bugs and keep players talking about the game.

I would still like to see a Special Xmas edition with a Santa's Grotto, but I have no reason to think that will happen, other than it is a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting closer, Raphael tweeted yesterday

"Just recorded my narration for December's Survival Mode update, I drank warm water to help my voice just like the pros do, and it made me think of @jhaletweets @Mark_Meer @DavidBHayter and @EliasToufexis and holy hell how do you not have to go to the bathroom constantly"

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, Mistral said:

Getting closer, Raphael tweeted yesterday

"Just recorded my narration for December's Survival Mode update, I drank warm water to help my voice just like the pros do, and it made me think of @jhaletweets @Mark_Meer @DavidBHayter and @EliasToufexis and holy hell how do you not have to go to the bathroom constantly"

To misquote Will Mackenzie, "That voice actor who drank warm water during recording sessions doesn't seem so crazy right now." ☻

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 2:34 AM, peteloud said:

I wish he'd give us the news of the December's Survival Mode update here.  This is HTL's News & Updates forum.

Hinterland doesn't talk with the community very much, and they aren't going to change. Your best bet for devolpmemt leaks are from Raph's twitter.

• Admin unpinned this topic