Future base location in Blackrock for your Survival mode?

Niskavuori

Where would you plase your future base in Blackrock?

I think, mine will be at the Old Substation:
Pros: Bed, Crafting, Cooking, 2 caves nearby to cure skins
Contras: Long way to Moose spawnings and Coal Mine

Edited by Niskavuori
Forgot to mention caves

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 7:42 AM, Niskavuori said:

Yeah, I think the substation is actually pretty perfect for a player base.  I decided to adopt it while playing the campaign as a sandbox in my second play thru.  All the amenities you mentioned come in really handy.  Also, if you climb halfway up the stairs, you can venture out on the rocks where you can take on the roaming timberwolf pack without fear of being touched.  They just come running up and around the stair case where you can take your time dispatching them at your leisure.  Convenient as well to harvest their carcasses as well since you don't have very far to go being just outside the front door!    

The other ideal spot in my opinion will be the Bricklayer's Retreat.  Got all the amenities of home except for that broken front door and that hole in the roof, but otherwise a solid base for the most part.  Plus you do have the moose that lives there.  The only big issue for me, is the lack of shelf space.  Plus it's kind of drafty.

On a side note, I sure hope the put a fishing shack somewhere on the map.  It sucks not having the ability to replenish my precious lamp oil fuel.

• Upvote 2

The prison itself would not be bad... but you might get lost in it lol. 

Bricklayer's retreat would be an awesome Interloper hideout if there was a fishing hut on the ice. Fish (with hut, but of course there is not one there), sticks, moose, and I think deer also if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest jeffpeng

On everything but Interloper: The prison itself. Moose on the doorstep, wolves to keep you fed and happy. On Interloper: just no. Maybe the Trailer as it serves as a relatively good vantage point to both the Prison and the Mine and has a very short path to the TWM exit. But generally: no.

The whole south-east region combined makes a nice base. I first set up at the trailer, where I found a few deer, and the timberwolf pack wasn't around when I first moved in. Also easy to see the pack from the front door when they do show up for a few days. Short safe trip down to Cook's farm for crafting, or over to a cave.

Also close to Bricklayer's, which can be your base as well. Moose, rabbit and lots of firewood, and another crafting table.

I'm going to get real comfy wandering around this area for the next few weeks.

Edited by DsnowMan

3 hours ago, DsnowMan said:

The whole south-east region combined makes a nice base. I first set up at the trailer, where I found a few deer, and the timberwolf pack wasn't around when I first moved in. Also easy to see the pack from the front door when they do show up for a few days. Short safe trip down to Cook's farm for crafting, or over to a cave.

Also close to Bricklayer's, which can be your base as well. Moose, rabbit and lots of firewood, and another crafting table.

I'm going to get real comfy wandering around this area for the next few weeks.

there's surprisingly lots of spots with workbenches strewn about the map in this region, but seemingly with a lack of beds to offset the conditions that would make those sports a good base camp otherwise.  I guess sleeping in a old truck next to a barrel fire aint so bad afterall, am I right?

• Upvote 1

In my stalker run I am camping by the workbench inside the prison yard, next to the firebarrel. I sleep there to ward off cabin fever and the other days in the workshop or the bunkhouse next to the infirmary, which has beds. There's plenty of food (wolves/bear) and firewood in the vicinity, wolves especially can be easily hunted from the roof of the bunkhouse.

Not sure though if I choose this place on my interloper run, should I ever decide to go to BRM. I'll certainly try it but the two wolves near the main entrance are a bit risky to go through.

Edited by ChillPlayer

On 10/20/2021 at 7:42 AM, Niskavuori said:

just curious why you would need to use the caves to cure animal hides when you can just plop them down inside the substation?
are you intentionally trying to make more work for yourself?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JaySovereign said:

I'm at Bricklayer Retreat. It's quite cold, but similar enough to my old home at the cabin in Timberwolf Mountain. I do miss having a door, an indoor workbench, and fishing, though. I'm doing my best to learn this new, confusing map.

I like that location quite a bit myself, but I was a little disappointed in that it's almost a carbon copy of the Mountaineer's Hut right down to the exact hole in the roof, sans the door and interior workbench.  I did manage to patch the hole in the roof though...

screen_d4da9317-0cdb-4ac4-bb2a-a4cf8494ebce_hi.thumb.png.a7565f76b2c92a7cd3eb1e61c77556f3.png

took about 100 pieces of firewood to layer the over the hole and as you can see there are still a few chinks that I need to plug.  For the doorway, however
i just hung an assortment of deek hides around the opening until I mostly got it sealed up.  At least there is a workbench outside, but yeah, i do miss having a fishing shack close by.

• Upvote 1