A tool to design Regions

oplli

I know that hinterland plan to add mod support and i think it could be interesting to have access to all the assets used in unity to create the regions, rocks buildings carcasses, everything so that we could potentially make proffetional looking maps with unity. I am certain that some people will try to create regions so why not give them the tools ? :) 

1 minute ago, Sito said:

For me I would want only simple mods that let me remove clutter or fix the broken cupboards. Adding new maps would be nice, but not changing the feel of the cold dark loneliness. No seasons or anything like that. 

That is why mods are good you are free to play with no mods or the ones that you want. personally i would definetely add regions and if the tools are available I would even try to make one, afterall it is an exploration game :) 

10 minutes ago, oplli said:

That is why mods are good you are free to play with no mods or the ones that you want. personally i would definetely add regions and if the tools are available I would even try to make one, afterall it is an exploration game :) 

Yeah I agree. A variety of modding for all tastes but I am pretty sure HL will want to control the feel of their creation so I expect that there will be some limitation to what can be modded. But anyway Raph has said he is open to it once Wintermute is finished.

I have used a mod to bypass the BI parquour (<--- I know this is spelled wrong) because I really found it frustrating. And i used a lighting mod so I can see inside a building at high noon. Since EP4 all those are broken and i dont really miss them. Except for the clutter is back.

35 minutes ago, Sito said:

I expect that there will be some limitation

I hope not, to take minecraft as an example : (a highly moddable and modded game) vanilla minecraft is as enjoying as modded minecraft beacause there is no limits to what can be done and it dosent feel like mods are breaking the base game.

Would be great to have a tool or at least the possibility to import our own 3D region files in the game (with actual maps as an example and to reuse some parts). Also the ability to change texture files would be a nice add.

Own maps + own textures would be a huge start for modding. And a nice and fun step to bring diversity for players. It will increase a lot the exploration aspect of the game but it will also have an influence on the survival experience and difficulty.

• Upvote 1