New Map CAN'T be in the North

I don't want to bash the game and I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just couldn't put my finger on why I didn't like the new map and it just came to me. (I stopped playing as soon as the new map came out)

If just doesn't seem to sit right with me. I thought and felt like I was in the great wild North country...Like in the Nunavut or something and ML and CH fit that believable scenario. But there's no farms in Nunavut! Certainly not collecting hay up there anyway.

I guess I just need to find an excuse that I can swallow and make it feel like its in the north, but until that happens, I just don't have fun playing the game anymore. There aren't any fields in the north west territories! Its just rock and trees, etc.

Sure, obviously I don't have to go to that map, I know that, but can you provide me with some feedback....even negative, I don't care. I just want to enjoy this game again, but its losing me.

Thanks very much.

Ok guys.

Lets deal with this.

We as the community of TLD have to save a member right here and right now.

We gonna go there as soon as possible, and build a fukken farm like one in the game or I wont stand good for myself.

Who is with me?

Hi! Don't leave :) There are farms in Northern Canada, I know, you see the American flag by my Country and think what do you know lady!? But I married a Canadian, he is from Ontario and his family is from Northern Ontario, and I am told that I am a honorary Canadian.

I never really thought of the game being centered that far arctic north, which would have stunted trees, no farms, etc. but more like Northern Manitoba, Alberta, BC, something like that.

My hubby doesn't play and that is where he thinks it is all happening when he watches me play. They don't specify an exact location just "Northern Canadian Wilderness" so it can be a lil further south than you think. The Provinces are rather large and populations decrease the farther North you get.

Nunavut is almost entirely north of the treeline (the area which has stunted or no tree grow due to the climate)... so it's not there.

Northern BC is about as close as we can guess currently imo (I promise it's not my location bias! :) ), since northern Alberta and Manitoba are flatter than what is depicted in game. (There's other reasons too, but they're in other threads already)

I haven't been to PV yet so I can't comment on how well it fits in, but there are farms in northern BC.

Nunavut is almost entirely north of the treeline (the area which has stunted or no tree grow due to the climate).

I watched some nice documentary film about Inuit living in Nunavut (how they try to uphold their old traditions and try to balance it with a modern lifestyle) just yesterday and during the whole film I didn't see a single tree... just some bushes, snowbound tundra and pack ice. So I came to the conclusion that Nunavut is presumably further north than the TLD (taiga-based) area. Thank you for your explanation, toebar. :)

OK, so lets say its not in Nunavut... And since Hinterland in from BC, let's assume its in BC. When I'm playing the game.....It feels to me like I'm here...in the winter....

The Long Dark Location (In my mind)

I can't imagine that there would be any farmers bailing hay....find me another spot where this game takes place....Please!

Here is a whole thread all about where TLD could be :)

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4090&hilit=location

Around Lethbridge in central Alberta there are also about half a dozen Hay farms. One of the largest industries of the area. They supply a good chunk of the dairy farms in both Alberta and B.C. as well as some in Quebec and Ontario. Think there's like 1000 dairy farms combined in Alberta/B.C. and close to 10k combined in Quebec and Ontario. That's a lot of cows, that eat a lot of hay. Makes sense to try to grow as much as you can locally.

I don't want to bash the game and I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just couldn't put my finger on why I didn't like the new map and it just came to me. (I stopped playing as soon as the new map came out)

If just doesn't seem to sit right with me. I thought and felt like I was in the great wild North country...Like in the Nunavut or something and ML and CH fit that believable scenario. But there's no farms in Nunavut! Certainly not collecting hay up there anyway.

I guess I just need to find an excuse that I can swallow and make it feel like its in the north, but until that happens, I just don't have fun playing the game anymore. There aren't any fields in the north west territories! Its just rock and trees, etc.

Sure, obviously I don't have to go to that map, I know that, but can you provide me with some feedback....even negative, I don't care. I just want to enjoy this game again, but its losing me.

Thanks very much.

The fact that you think this game takes place in Nunavut and have a Canadian flag next to your name kind of upsets me. You'll find these maps and their settings in the north of almost every province. The first and second maps made me think of parts of British Colombia, Quebec, & New Brunswick, while the third map made me think of Saskatchewan & Alberta. The game does not sit right with you because you've been imagining that the game is something that it's not.

It's all good.. Not everyone is familiar with the landscapes of every part of a vast country. The game just says Northern Canada, so it's reasonable to go REALLY north. What we see in game just doesn't jive with being that far north.

Everyone can learn something in this forum, I know I have. That a game can spark so many ideas and so much conversation I find quite amazing!