First loper run

Corso

Well first propper one - I ran a game a while back to get the trophy but wasn't in it lo live past the day you get it.

Something about not geting guns put me off :Dbut it's whole new experience once you get into it - tracking down a heavy hammer was a nightmare but one I'm now the otherside of

My new runs going OK - not sure I want to say well yet and I know it could turn bad very quick - I've ransacked desolation point through to coastal highway and am now in Mystery lake

I've a bow, hacksaw and knife, plenty of backup unspoilables and have started hunting

want to make hide cloths next and maybe take a turn at fishing for a bit

I'm struggling a bit with the bow but slowly improving, mainly been practicing on rabbits as apart from feeding wolves i can't seem to drop anything where its stand - I did get one very luck headshot kill on a moose - didn't think that was even possible and maybe it was a bug but damn it felt good

problem is i've not got the clothes to harvest it so i'm back waiting for better weather to collect some firewood to build one next to the body -

The advice on here has realy helped, and while I've completed all the challenges and know how to play the basic game  I wouldn't be a loper without this community

• Like 1

didn't think that was even possible and maybe it was a bug but damn it felt good

Arrow damage varies with the body part you hit, your archery skill and there is also some chance involved via critical hits. One hit kills on a moose are very lucky early on, simple because your overall damage isn't that high. But not impossible with a head shot. Later on you can usually reliably one shot deer and wolves (but not always) and have a very good chance to take down moose in one or two hits, even when you don't hit the head.

• Upvote 1

You usually don't need a fire in the back of a cave. Sleep only for 2-3 hours in case a blizzard hits. Poor clothing + cold nights can be problematic for a few hours deep in the night. Or a blizzard might hit. But usually it's fine.

Also, do you have actual cabin fever or only cabin fever risk? When the risk appears you have plenty of time to prepare and spend some time outside.

Edited by Serenity

full on cabin fever :( It snuck up on me, not experienced it before and was at 85% risk

Managed to build a snow shelter beside the cabin - thought things were working ok but too many blizzards and not enough time to make the fur clothes I needed did me in the end - well that and the wolf that seemed to spawn out of nowhere - got a shot off on him but it broke the arrow, my health was just too low to fight him off

Damn that was fun...

I do need to get better with the bow

Next round has me starting in timberwolf mountain - got a hammer from the hut but it's a long walk to get to use it - which way should I go...

Edited by Corso

A great early base is the hydro dam in Mystery Lake. It has a nice cave nearby you can use for cabin fever risk (which should only ever be an issue when you craft for a very long time). And there are tons of deer carcasses around it. More than you need for your gear. For forging you can make a trip to FM for a few days.

TWM is one of the best starts you can get. Two packs of matches if you go via the three way cave instead of directly to the hut. A guaranteed tool of some kind. PV has some great loot too. After checking the major locations there off to ML.

Edited by Serenity

23 minutes ago, Corso said:

full on cabin fever :( Managed to build a snow shelter beside the cabin - thought things were working ok but too many blizzards and not enough time to make the fur clothes I needed did me in the end - well that and the wolf that seemed to spawn out of nowhere - got a shot off on him but it broke the arrow, my health was just too low to fight him off

Damn that was fun...

I do need to get better with the bow

Next round has me starting in timberwolf mountain - got a hammer from the hut but it's a long walk to get to use it - which way should I go...

Timberwolf mountain is a great start.

The classic route is to go to PV (Prepper Cache —> Barn —> Farm —> Signal Hill). Hopefully by that point you’ll have a hacksaw and can start cutting Birch/Maple.

From Signal Hill go to the cave that leads to the river that leads to the Dam in ML.Then you can head to the ravine to get an early game Flare Gun.

After, head to Costal Highway and continue the search for the hacksaw if you didn’t find it in PV. Then head to DP for your forge work.

Alternately, you can stay to loot ML and head to FM for the forge.

A more advanced early route is to head from Timberwolf Mountain to Ash Canyon with the eventual goal to reach the gold mine to find Crampons and Technical Backpack, and hopefully a hacksaw/bedroll, and then back to Timberwolf to reach summit by day 7 (need hacksaw to obtain loot at summit). This route is quite difficult because you need to use torches to scare wolves in the narrow stretches of the basin of Ash Canyon.

Edited by ChaosInEquilibrium

1 hour ago, Corso said:

Where do the sleeping bags spawn on loper? Not ready to face a bear yet

It depends. There are four different loot tables.

PV: the cave at Mystic River picnic area. The cave above the rural store (right of the river. not the one near the bear cave)

ML: Camp Office, ice fishing hut near lonely lake cabin, cave in Winding River, hunter's blind at Alan's cave

DP: up the pipe at Hibernia's, Scruffy's cave

Most of them are in fairly obvious locations. Even when you have one in some obscure cave there will be another one at a main location

Try to forget about loot tables. It just takes so much off the experience. I do hate the guaranteed spawning places for matches or other loot - You are not able to forget them, once You know.

You can sleep in cars in addition to indoor areas. Maybe a knowledge of where are beds in caves could help too. And there are snow shelters, but they cost cloth...

Otherwise let Your survivor fade and start over. Good luck to him/her and a lot of fun to You.

1 hour ago, mfuegemann said:

Try to forget about loot tables. It just takes so much off the experience. I do hate the guaranteed spawning places for matches or other loot - You are not able to forget them, once You know

I wouldn't recommend learning them inside out. Like "If X spawns here, Y is there". That's boring. But you can memorize the possible spawn locations for certain items without correlating them with each other and still have fun. Over time you notice most of their locations anyways.

The only reason I even brought it up it up is to explain why things aren't always in the same place between different runs.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Really - I've clearly got alot to learn as a new loper :D

I turned the corner of Hibernia Processing to find 2 wolves between me an the door -complete shock and it didn't go well

looks like it'll be run 4 from the weekend although i'm thinking about giving another stalker run ago so i can practice with the bow a bit more - i'm not managing to anticipate the wolves run very well even though it seems quite repetative it still gets me some how before i can discharge by arrow

Nice job getting a bow on one of your first tries! In my opinion, you have officially become an interloper if you can make yourself a bow. Took me a while to get there. I just got into Interloper recently as well, but I haven't touched it in a while since all I'm doing is crafting animal clothes, grinding sticks, and occasionally hunting deer or fishing. This is at Camp office ML. I want to get back to TWM (spawned in AC which was nice so I could get the crampons, backpack, and a bedroll) and reach the summit (don't know why I didn't in the first place) 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Serenity said:

If you get surprised at short range the bow isn't going to save you. If you want some insurance carry the heavy hammer. It doesn't do much damage, but gets the wolves off you the fastet.

Thanks thats good to know, I'm a bit too used to being able to fight off wolves with a knife and not geting any damage as a stalker I realy was kicking myself

43 minutes ago, Pencil said:

Nice job getting a bow on one of your first tries! In my opinion, you have officially become an interloper if you can make yourself a bow. Took me a while to get there. I just got into Interloper recently as well, but I haven't touched it in a while since all I'm doing is crafting animal clothes, grinding sticks, and occasionally hunting deer or fishing. This is at Camp office ML. I want to get back to TWM (spawned in AC which was nice so I could get the crampons, backpack, and a bedroll) and reach the summit (don't know why I didn't in the first place) 

I rushed a bit and didn't invest in clothes quick enough so was geting too cold too quickly to harvest what i was killing -I did have a moose skin cooking but it was far too cold to get the food I needed. This time round I think fur clothes should come first

Out of interest what benifit do crampons offer?

Edited by Corso

I forgot the other insurance policy in the game: the distress pistol

One of them is a bottom of the Ravine and thus very easy to get. But you still have to remember to have it out, so it wouldn't have helped you

was geting too cold too quickly to harvest what i was killing

Clothing alone won't allow you to harvest anything. It just increases the time before you are freezing. For harvesting stuff you need to make a fire - preferably with a piece of coal.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Corso said:

I rushed a bit and didn't invest in clothes quick enough so was geting too cold too quickly to harvest what i was killing -I did have a moose skin cooking but it was far too cold to get the food I needed. This time round I think fur clothes should come first

Out of interest what benifit do crampons offer?

If you manage to get animal coats and other clothes really early (like before day 40 in my experience), there are times in the day (usually late afternoon) where you are warming up outside. I like to do hunting and harvesting later in the day, and picking up sticks in the morning, since it won't take too long before I'm back inside. 

Crampons aren't very essential for Interloper, but still useful. The technical backpack is the main reason I would get to the mine, but even that isn't necessary since you can already get +10 kg storage from well fed and moose satchel. The crampons can be useful for beachcombing though, since they give you a little more time to stand on weak ice before it breaks. They also save stamina when climbing ropes. That's about it though. 

I agree with Serenity that coal is the best way to harvest carcasses. Use a stick as starter fuel and add a piece of coal and boom, +20 C fire. It will last for a little more than an hour as well, enough time to quarter a deer carcass. (Just hope the wind doesn't pick up and put out your fire). 

Edited by Pencil
  • Upvote 1

Being a loper means to die again and again and again for every possible reason the game has to offer.

I had so many deaths where I wasnt even aware what had actually happened. 
But real lopers never give up. Actually thats the beauty of the game, you loose your best run to an upredictable death or a stupid mistake, you rage quit, you calm down, you try again and you do things better this time - maybe 😁

Eventually you figure out how to stay alive and how to beat survival mode - maybe ☠️

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Major M.oos.E Sr. said:

Being a loper means to die again and again and again for every possible reason the game has to offer.

I had so many deaths where I wasnt even aware what had actually happened. 
But real lopers never give up. Actually thats the beauty of the game, you loose your best run to an upredictable death or a stupid mistake, you rage quit, you calm down, you try again and you do things better this time - maybe 😁

Eventually you figure out how to stay alive and how to beat survival mode - maybe ☠️

I'm begining to understand that :)

Starting another run this weekend

well the weekend came to a rather sad end - still geting too cold too quick - ended in broken railroad - 1 day short of my 25 day record

It got too cold too quick, cabin fever got to me and i could't stay warm enough even in the back of a cave? Just didn't find any clothes tracking through

forlorn, mystery lake or even where I ended up Broken railroad only got me a couple of items - I did make some deer boots, knife, Bow and arrrow and my highlight

was taking a bear out with the flare gun - one hit and good night

wondering if it would take out a moose as easy?

Really need to work on my bow skills, torn between a stalker run - not using guns or trying a custom game with cabin fever switched off...

5 hours ago, Corso said:

well the weekend came to a rather sad end - still geting too cold too quick - ended in broken railroad - 1 day short of my 25 day record

It got too cold too quick, cabin fever got to me and i could't stay warm enough even in the back of a cave? Just didn't find any clothes tracking through

forlorn, mystery lake or even where I ended up Broken railroad only got me a couple of items - I did make some deer boots, knife, Bow and arrrow and my highlight

was taking a bear out with the flare gun - one hit and good night

wondering if it would take out a moose as easy?

Really need to work on my bow skills, torn between a stalker run - not using guns or trying a custom game with cabin fever switched off...

Sounds like a successful run to me. The loot drops for clothing depend on rng. Sometimes you find top tier clothes right away and sometimes you don’t find gloves for days. But clothing doesn’t matter that much anyway. Try a naked run and find other ways to stay warm. Use teas a lot. Coal is important too.

killing bears and moose with the flare gun is a common tactic. The Moose is harder to drop cause you need a critical hit

cabin fever is a pain but don’t turn it off. It can easily been avoided by spending more time outside ☠️

Edited by Sir Major M.oos.E Sr.