Why.

Michael1986

Right?  Considering I'm now armed with a bow and arrows, a rifle and a revolver?  I should be able to hunker down in the bus and take random pot shots at each of the cons as they open the door.  Especially the guy that was waiting outside by the burn barrel.  Should have been able to shoot him dead before stepping on the steps and initiating the cut scene.  A little payback for all those people they murdered execution style outside of the gate...

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

LOL I said the same thing. Like... Son? You got a whole rifle on you. Shoot Vachon, then when his buddy comes out, you take HIM out, then you go inside, find Matthis and take him down.

But I think the honest answer why you DON'T do this is A.) There are a lot more convicts than the game shows and B.) Mack is the boy scout. He probably won't just shoot an unarmed dude, let alone three. 

17 minutes ago, ElleJoy said:

LOL I said the same thing. Like... Son? You got a whole rifle on you. Shoot Vachon, then when his buddy comes out, you take HIM out, then you go inside, find Matthis and take him down.

But I think the honest answer why you DON'T do this is A.) There are a lot more convicts than the game shows and B.) Mack is the boy scout. He probably won't just shoot an unarmed dude, let alone three. 

I think it's time Molly made an appearance and started cleaning up the place...
oh, that would be a great spinoff game, eh?  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Luca Loquax said:

I hear you but Will is the kind of a guy who values Warden Franklin's life over dropping the hammer on the convicts.   If Will were a different man, who knows.

My humble to cents.

1 hour ago, Sherri said:

Same reason will does ANYTHING for the convicts. They have something he wants. If he started shooting them... no case.

yes, I know...

Will is the best boy scout there ever was.

Ok, but wouldn't it have been an excellent plot twist on behalf of Hinterland to allow a player to deviate from the script a little and try their hand at freeing the warden and regaining the case.  Imagine the story line plot twist if Will were to have been able to take out a couple of the convicts and then they decided to rush out chase him down.  He leads them in a circuitous route, a goose chase as you will and using his guile and cunning leads his pursuers into an area were the roving wolves slowly pick off the convicts one by one.    And if by some reason, you the player, fails in freeing the warden and are killed, you just restart, back in the guard shack on the last checkpoint auto save, allowing for either playing the scripted scenario or once again trying to be the unsung hero. 

They did put a curse filter into the game for those who object to jailhouse language, so a no kill the bad guys filter would have probably been necessary as well.  
Oh well, it was never in the cards in the first place. 
But I for one would have loved to put a round in Mathis forehead, just a little payback for knocking me out all those times.

• Upvote 2

@piddy3825The aggressive wolf at No Road Cave would have been perfect to end such a chase. Let's imagine that Will, after a long run, gets tired and decides that this cave is a good place to get a quick rest while the wolf's away.

A short time later, Mathis, having lost all his thugs to timberwolf attacks, follows Will's footprints into No Road Cave. Seeing Will resting there, he proceeds to have a little "pre-execution chat". Unbeknowst to Mathis, he's being followed by the cave's canine owner. Just as Mathis raises his axe to do the job, there comes a loud bark. Will shouts "WOLF!!!" but it's too late; Mathis is grabbed by the wolf, and the two of them get into a struggle while Will runs away to a safe spot and observes what's going on. Unfortunately for Mathis, he doesn't have Will's experience at dealing with wolves, and is killed in the encounter.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2