Firstly to balance things out, I say Shotgun would be the rarest weapon, it would have the least spawns and it sshells wouldnt be as common as rifle cartridges or revolver bullets

For the Gun itself Each weapon in Long Dark has a purpose:

The Hunting rifle is a long ranged offensive weapon used for Hunting

The Revolver is a deterrent to hostile wildlife 

The Bow is a for silent hunters

And the Flare gun is a Light and basic self defense tool

I say the Shotgun in its core is used to retaliate hostile wildlife,it isnt there to kill or scare that wolf,it is tehre to oblidrate that wof

(fluffy sweats nervously)

shotguns would be aterrible weapon for hunting, but a great one for self defence, for an example lets say you shoot a moose if close enough it blows it away killing it instantly; Problem arises when you try harvest the Moose, most of its meat, most of its intestents and its pelt, is unuseable.

Thats the payoff for the shotgun, Uncommon ammo and the fact that it is too powerfull to hunt anything, shoot a rabbit and there wont be a rabbit

but its rewards are the that it will kill anything in close distance

10 hours ago, Michael1986 said:

firstly if a polar bear region is added to the game I would say the shotgun wuld be the weapon of use for players who want to go into that hellhole

That is for shure but for now the shotgun dosent look different from flare gun : dosent kill and scares animals

15 hours ago, Michael1986 said:

Uncommon ammo and the fact that it is too powerfull to hunt anything, shoot a rabbit and there wont be a rabbit

I had similar idea once but instead of a shotgun it was a muzzleloading rifle. Shot, powder, and caps/flint would have to be crafted along with a ramrod, and weather like blizzards and snow could cause the powder to get wet. It would be much more powerful than the rifle at the cost of destroying the meat and hide at close range.

8 hours ago, oplli said:

That is for shure but for now the shotgun dosent look different from flare gun : dosent kill and scares animals

did you even read my  idea or jsut looked at my comment