The Shotgun

Michael1986

Firstly to balance things out, I say Shotgun would be the rarest weapon, it would have the least spawns and it sshells wouldnt be as common as rifle cartridges or revolver bullets

For the Gun itself Each weapon in Long Dark has a purpose:

The Hunting rifle is a long ranged offensive weapon used for Hunting

The Revolver is a deterrent to hostile wildlife 

The Bow is a for silent hunters

And the Flare gun is a Light and basic self defense tool

I say the Shotgun in its core is used to retaliate hostile wildlife,it isnt there to kill or scare that wolf,it is tehre to oblidrate that wof

(fluffy sweats nervously)

shotguns would be aterrible weapon for hunting, but a great one for self defence, for an example lets say you shoot a moose if close enough it blows it away killing it instantly; Problem arises when you try harvest the Moose, most of its meat, most of its intestents and its pelt, is unuseable.

Thats the payoff for the shotgun, Uncommon ammo and the fact that it is too powerfull to hunt anything, shoot a rabbit and there wont be a rabbit

but its rewards are the that it will kill anything in close distance

10 hours ago, Michael1986 said:

firstly if a polar bear region is added to the game I would say the shotgun wuld be the weapon of use for players who want to go into that hellhole

That is for shure but for now the shotgun dosent look different from flare gun : dosent kill and scares animals

15 hours ago, Michael1986 said:

Uncommon ammo and the fact that it is too powerfull to hunt anything, shoot a rabbit and there wont be a rabbit

I had similar idea once but instead of a shotgun it was a muzzleloading rifle. Shot, powder, and caps/flint would have to be crafted along with a ramrod, and weather like blizzards and snow could cause the powder to get wet. It would be much more powerful than the rifle at the cost of destroying the meat and hide at close range.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to be rude, but the idea of a shotgun has been done to death here and I doubt that hinterland will add one. The only practical use of a shotgun would be hunting birds, but that would require more birds to be added to the game and then the mechanics of the shotgun and.... Well it'd be a time consuming process. The weapon assortment has a good range and a shotgun doesn't really have a place among that due to how the weapons suit the bases of what the game has to offer so far. The rifle is a wonder at killing but has scarce ammo, revolver is weak but good for defense, bow is a long term alternative to the rifle, stones are good for rabbit hunting, noisemakers are one bang wonders that scare off everything, and the flare gun is a defensive get out of jail free card. The shotgun doesn't have any use that doesn't repeat what other weapons do. It would need the introduction of bird hunting to be a viable enough addition to the game and that is even if hinterland adds more birds. So I politely say that although I myself would like to see a shotgun in the game, it doesn't have its own place to be useful without stealing the job of another weapon. As the game stands it isn't a good addition, but maybe that will change in the future.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, Themadlad94 said:

I had similar idea once but instead of a shotgun it was a muzzleloading rifle. Shot, powder, and caps/flint would have to be crafted along with a ramrod, and weather like blizzards and snow could cause the powder to get wet. It would be much more powerful than the rifle at the cost of destroying the meat and hide at close range.

I’d like to see a craft-able Blackpowder shotgun muzzleloader.

I know there’s a bit of functionality duplication because it’d be similar to the rifle, but with more sustainability (crafting your own powder + shot), yet with only a single shot before a long reload animation, limited usability.

With electrical technology unavailable due to Aurora, I’d like to make my character an 18th century mountain-man. Homemade fur clothes, mountain cabin, Flintlock (Musket / Shotgun), rabbit skinning knife etc.

I imagine the crafting process to be extensive. Forging the barrel taking a very long time, maybe using lead shot (car batteries), and requiring a whetstone to make the Flintlock mechanism. I don’t like the idea of caps, because I don’t want to be dependant on finding them, I’d prefer to craft my own flintlock.

It’d be a great prestige project, custom made for myself from materials I find on the island. I’d love to see more big crafting projects in The Long Dark.

A flintlock muzzle-loading blunderbuss would be great, haha. There's actually a black powder club not far from where I live, those people are nuts/great! Anyway, it's a good fit, in a way: only need black powder, a bit of cloth for a wad, then just drop in some pebbles... BAM! Cobra chicken soup. :)