If you could only have one wish

piddy3825

4 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I have only one wish: remove the smell of cooked meat. It used to be in previous versions that predators only reacted if you had raw meat on you, which is fine. But killing an animal now means that you need to stay where you are until you've eaten all the meat it provided or let it go to waste. Or at the very least, only have animals track you if the smell indicator shows at least one bar. In it's current state wolves in the vicinity will start tracking you if you only have a tiny bit of meat on you without the indicator showing anything. This would allow travel with 1-2kg of cooked meat and a full stomach, extending the exploration time by at least a day.

But as said, this is the very least - I'd prefer to have the mechanic reverted back to only raw meat and limit it to the area immediately around you. Otherwise the smell mechanic can be and is heavily abused. I can pack myself full of meat/guts until 3 bars are displayed, stand on a ledge and rest/sleep for 12h - predators of half the map will come to me, ready to be turned into dinner.

yeah the smell o meter is extremely sensitive these days.  I'm at the point that I just don't carry any meat, cooked or uncooked, when I am out and about doing other activities beside hunting.  It does make gameplay a bit more challenging as now I have to pay lots more attention to food items providing the most calories by weight.  It does force a player however to set up multiple base locations or caches were meat can be stored.  I guess that's what they figured the rock caches would come in hand for.  With 5 such caches allowed per map and with the random backpack and assorted containers strewn about the area, I found it a doable work around for now.

3 hours ago, WillemD said:

I wish I could turn down the volume of waterfalls, so that living inside a cave near a waterfall becomes an option.

yeah, the ambient noise can be a little deafening but your gonna have to deal with it unfortunately.  considering you can turn down the sound of waterfall IRL this is just one of those instances where you gotta just turn down the volume in your game.  sorry...

• 2 months later...

Definetly a Bycicle! I am wondering, why nobody has left a single bike out there. Even if it's broken. My character will definetly find a way to repair it. But it makes travelling at a long and straight distance a lot easier.

If I could have two wishes, it would be seasons. The snow could melt in summer, even if it stays cold. So new challenges (like finding water) and new sprouds and animals could appear.

Edited by KaryDF
word missing

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

Better rifle sights. I would really like a pointed tip of the sight rather than the boxy shape. I lose my target so many times, that or I miss completely.

there is a new mod for that for pc users!   It's called Weapons Crosshairs
 It puts the white circle dot back in the game.  You line everything up and pow!
if you are a console player, opps sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

5 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

there is a new mod for that for pc users!   It's called Weapons Crosshairs
 It puts the white circle dot back in the game.  You line everything up and pow!
if you are a console player, opps sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

Has the white dot disappeared then cos I wanted to put it on the other day and couldn't find it in the options?

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Has the white dot disappeared then cos I wanted to put it on the other day and couldn't find it in the options?

No it hasn't.  At least not on PC.  I does disappear when aiming with a weapon however.  
But if memory serves, you are a console player, so maybe it is a feature that you have to enable?

2 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

No it hasn't.  At least not on PC.  I does disappear when aiming with a weapon however.  
But if memory serves, you are a console player, so maybe it is a feature that you have to enable?

Oh OK thanks. I only wanted it on for help with bow skills but if it disappears then its not much use to me. 

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Oh OK thanks. I only wanted it on for help with bow skills but if it disappears then its not much use to me. 

When it comes to using the bow, my best advice is to aim at your target so that your "aim point" is at the center of your screen.  Keep in mind that arrows kinda travel in an arc, in that they slowly curve upwards when you release your arrow then kinda fly down.

1872145476_download(1).jpeg.34329cdaee47fcf5575bb08f7b6a7c77.jpeg

It seems that when you move your aim point away from the middle of the screen, your more apt to miss.  something about the way the algorythm works, it prefers the projectile to move to the center of the screen rather than to the outer borders.

screen_8c233a37-c934-4bf7-bc3e-60b6af2c81fc_hi.thumb.png.66e9670db46bbade3230c0934df4389a.png

Here I am aiming right at the center of the clock

screen_b2ba88a2-cd92-424e-a301-130f7fab7e62_hi.thumb.png.3b62ab15b11c6965627e0d50432d95df.png

and here is where my arrow actually strikes as it is still flying up when it strikes the target.  
Guaging the distance becomes critical to account for the arrows flight trajectory.

hope this helps a bit?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think my one wish would be to have animals like everyone says but I think there should be a 

Lynx! In get broken railroad desolation point ash canyon anywhere that there is only one entrance/exit mostly in corners I think lunges should have up to 10 kg of meat a hide for hat  gloves sweater and socks and 3 guts and there like moose if you get to close they "warn" you and you can run away you can easily kill them in a struggle and they do virtually no damage but they can do large cut witch need s painkillers antiseptic and 2 bandages and can also give you sluggish leg witch puts a little minus over your fatigue and you lose at double the rate until you get damaging ly  tired

57 minutes ago, odizzido said:

If I can only have one wish it would be that this game becomes open source.

really, open source?  that is a big wish. 
Maybe when the purchase price drops down to below .99 cents a copy,  Hinterland might consider relinquishing the copywrite to their intellectual property?   Until then let's hope the collaborative agreement between the game developers and  the modding community generates some serious improvements and innovations to the game, some of which I am sure will be cost driven downloadable content.   

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

really, open source?  that is a big wish. 

Not entirely unreasonable though. For instance iD software releases their engines to the world after a certain period of time. It's how we ended up with these god-tier source ports like GZDoom that keep the original game going strong nearly 30 years after its original release. Once Hinterland moves on to bigger things, if they were to just release the source of TLD into the world say 10 years from now, just imagine what the community at large would create.

@ajb1978and @odizzido

considering they haven't even finished the development of this game, I do believe it will be some time before anything happens.  As to companies like ID software, yeah that was 30 years ago when DOOM first came out. 
I remember it well, whew, just hard to imagine it's been thirty years already. 

Argggh, I am feeling old right now!  I hope I live long enough to see the release of Episode 5...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@ajb1978and @odizzido

considering they haven't even finished the development of this game, I do believe it will be some time before anything happens.  As to companies like ID software, yeah that was 30 years ago when DOOM first came out. 
I remember it well, whew, just hard to imagine it's been thirty years already. 

Argggh, I am feeling old right now!  I hope I live long enough to see the release of Episode 5...

Remember when  Pong first came out though?   That makes me feel very old indeed!🙂

• Like 1

I know I've seen it mentioned before on other threads but some sort of Drying Rack for making jerky (both fish and meat) would be something I'd really, really like.

Maybe a choice between Passive (Solar) and Active (Low/smoky fire you'd have to tend) -- would reduce the weight and smell of meat, but at a cost of having to either stay a few days in one spot or come back for the jerky later. Would make you thirstier when eaten.

Could you find/make salt to speed the process?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, twyn1 said:

I know I've seen it mentioned before on other threads but some sort of Drying Rack for making jerky (both fish and meat) would be something I'd really, really like.

Maybe a choice between Passive (Solar) and Active (Low/smoky fire you'd have to tend) -- would reduce the weight and smell of meat, but at a cost of having to either stay a few days in one spot or come back for the jerky later. Would make you thirstier when eaten.

Could you find/make salt to speed the process?

+1 on the idea!

I'd always envisioned using one of the fishing shacks with  a door as a smoke house.  Imaging stringing dried gut which you've turned into line across the interior from which to hang thin cut strips of meat and fish.  
using the pot belly wood stove, you'd load up a long burning fire to bring the interior heat up to max.  Then you'd place
your two liter filled with cedar shavings and rosehips on the burner and let the smoking begin!   

As far as salt production goes, I always figured that if you just kept pouring sea water into the pot and boiling it off, the salts would stay behind in the pot and begin to crystalize.  sure it would be a slow process but eventually you would have a useable supply of sea salt!    Maybe we should add this idea to the requests for mods on the modding page?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1